• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Separate run

Alicia

Mama Doe
When I move my rabbits will have a shed with attached run which will be on paving slabs. When the weathers nice I’ll put them on a run on the grass, but that will be separate to their normal housing. Is this safe or should I only put them in a separate run when I can supervise them?

When I move my rabbits will have a shed with attached run which will be on paving slabs. When the weathers nice I’ll put them on a run on the grass, but that will be separate to their normal housing. Is this safe or should I only put them in a separate run when I can supervise them?

Personally, if the run on the grass doesn’t have mesh under the turf, meaning they could dig out, or predators could dig in, I’d only use it in a supervised situation. The same goes for if it doesn’t have a roof on it. That is me personally though, others might have different opinions :thumb:

When I had Beano and Gordon they had a separate run, I would only put them out supervised though. They loved it and spent full days out when I was off, as I would sit out with a book. There was times I'd nip in for something to eat etc of course or leave them when my parents were outside as it was a secure run and neither of them ever made an attempt to dig.

We let ours out into their open-topped pen on the lawn when we're home, but we don't supervise as such, but that's more through experience (or our neighbourhood) than because we don't think anything will happen. We're so far from other houses in the industrial estate that nothing bothers coming to find them. We'e gone out and found Aboleth halfway down a hole but we think she was actually digging a well :lol: We've protected the sides so they can't dig out. And we won't go out while they're out :) We call it 'doing their job' as they're mowing the lawn :lol:

I think I need to keep an eye on them. Naughty bunnies have been planning the great escape. None of them have owned up to it but Jelly has muddy paws so I’m blaming her :lol:

Back