• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Do You Cope With The Worry After Losing Rabbits?

Thanks, the rescue did suggest that we could adopt smaller rabbits i.e. Netherland dwarf size, which my wife and I aren't not adverse to.

I completely understand the need for the minimum requirements in terms of space etc and that they need to be sure that any rabbits that are rehomed will be looked after correctly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So one rescue has told us we can't break up the space, i.e. get the same square footage but split between our existing run and something else, like a hutch with integrated run.

My wife is considering giving up on the adoption route

I agree with binkycodie, that's a bit daft! Surely it's the overall square footage that matters. What's wrong with having tunnels linking one area to another, they'd love that! We've got 2 set ups linked with 16ft runaround tunnels and it's awesome! Obviously rescues do a great job, but I do prefer being able to make my own choices regarding accommodation and can't really see what's wrong with what you've suggested.

Also I think Nethies and smaller breeds still need lots of space and I imagine still the minimum requirement - someone correct me if I'm wrong! So are they saying that your existing run would be suitable? One of ours is a Nethie and he has bundles of energy.

I can sense your frustration, but I'm sure one way or another things will work out x

I agree with binkycodie, that's a bit daft! Surely it's the overall square footage that matters. What's wrong with having tunnels linking one area to another, they'd love that! We've got 2 set ups linked with 16ft runaround tunnels and it's awesome! Obviously rescues do a great job, but I do prefer being able to make my own choices regarding accommodation and can't really see what's wrong with what you've suggested.

Also I think Nethies and smaller breeds still need lots of space and I imagine still the minimum requirement - someone correct me if I'm wrong! So are they saying that your existing run would be suitable? One of ours is a Nethie and he has bundles of energy.

I can sense your frustration, but I'm sure one way or another things will work out x

yea thats what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure :? smaller bunnies doesn't = smaller space, they often need more in a sense as the bigger bunnies seem to be more chilled out. the smaller they are the more batteries they have in them I swear :lol: I've heard of more nethies being hyperactive maniacs than the bigger buns, they're generally more chilled out. ofc if you were to have like a conti they'd need more space for their size, but the minimum requirements don't change for a smaller breed.

I often know with hamsters (while completely different) you get people who say "dwarfs need less space" meanwhile they actually need more to do as they do way more exercise than a syrian does for instance. they both have aobut the same caging requirements, so size doesn't = less.

it does seem a bit odd that they'd suggest this :? I'm not one to really comment but I don't think that its true and I think I'd look elsewhere tbh with you.

I've asked them what we would need to do to meet their requirements, but I expect the answer will be to either buy another run that is 8x6, or to find a way to increase the size of our existing run so that it is 2 foot wider.

But then the roof wouldn't fit, but I might email run around to see if we can increase the length of the run by 2 feet somehow, although we would still need to extend the length of the lid as well, but then they'd probably still say the run needs to be 6 ft wide despite a 4x10 run having the same square footage as a 6x8 run.

Our very first hutch was one with a run underneath, which was a good starter home, but the run was only 6ftx4ft so it wasn't really big enough. We've since upgraded to a playhouse with a small tunnel leading to a 12ftx6ft run. It's worth mentioning that the run is to the side of the playhouse though, so it runs along the fence line to make the best use of the space.

I don't know if you've looked here https://homeandroost.co.uk/product-category/6ft-rabbit-hutches/ but they have some good options if it's a hutch / run you're after.

'Slightly controversially' most of our rabbits have been from gumtree (I say controversial because it's riskier potentially that the rescue route that many choose on here). But if you go into it with your eyes wide open then it is especially rewarding. Obviously it means you are responsible for vaccinations / neutering and have no back up if things go wrong.

What it has meant though, is that I've been able to rescue buns from very poor conditions and change their lives. Those that haven't been lucky enough to make it to a rescue and are likely to be passed on with their existing accommodation.

Obviously the rescues requirements are the minimum and I'm not saying that the rabbits shouldn't have that and ours do. But we've been able to constantly improve and extend things over time.

(I'll probably get flamed for saying so oops :oops:) x

No not at all. I, for one, agree with you.

I've asked them what we would need to do to meet their requirements, but I expect the answer will be to either buy another run that is 8x6, or to find a way to increase the size of our existing run so that it is 2 foot wider.

But then the roof wouldn't fit, but I might email run around to see if we can increase the length of the run by 2 feet somehow, although we would still need to extend the length of the lid as well, but then they'd probably still say the run needs to be 6 ft wide despite a 4x10 run having the same square footage as a 6x8 run.

Usually rescues are good at working with prospective adopters imo.

Usually rescues are good at working with prospective adopters imo.
I'd have thought so too, but apparently a smaller run say 6x2 connected to the hutch and to our existing 4x8 run via an 8 foot tunnel would not meet their requirements.

We are trying to find ways to meet the requirements, but if they insist on us having a run that is 6x8, and there is no way for us to extend our existing run, then we simply won't be able to meet their requirements. As we can't afford to just go out and buy another run into of the new hutch and connections tunnels that we need, and we would have no space to put one in our garden even if we could.

We've measured up and are going for a Kendal 6ft hutch with attached run, which will join onto the existing 4x8 run via an 8ft tunnel

We're off to the local RSPCA rescue tomorrow to have a look at some bunnies, we did have a quick look at the rescue section in pets at home, some lovely looking bunnies in there

We've measured up and are going for a Kendal 6ft hutch with attached run, which will join onto the existing 4x8 run via an 8ft tunnel

We're off to the local RSPCA rescue tomorrow to have a look at some bunnies, we did have a quick look at the rescue section in pets at home, some lovely looking bunnies in there

I’m glad you’ve come up with a plan that suits everyone :thumb: fingers crossed for you to find a lovely pair of bunnies:love:

Thanks, there was a lovely looking lop eared bunny in pets at home called Ben.

While I was stood near his cage he started scrabbling against the glass, and when I bent down he tried to kick my finger (through the glass).

We could have given him a nice home, but we don't have the knowledge or experience to get a friend and try to bind them, and we thought that even with a nice hutch and run hed get lonely on his own

I'm so pleased that you've found a way forward with things :) Hope today's visit goes/has gone well!

The Pets at Home bun sounds cute, was he neutered? I think often they give people a voucher to have it done afterwards. I find that you usually just 'know' if it's meant to be or not. I wouldn't be too worried about bonding if it came to it, you definitely wouldn't go short of advise. But obviously if you find a pair then its one less thing to cope with x

Thanks all

Just back from the RSPCA, and we've put a reservation on a pair of lovely ladies (mother and daughter).

They are a pair of lops and are larger than we were expecting, both are getting near to 4kg.

The mother is a nervous bunny, and apparently has a history of lunging, but hasnt done it for a while.

Home check will be arranged for after the new hutch has turned up, the only issue I can forsee is whether the ramp in the hutch is wide enough.

Is the hutch 2-tier? Bunnies of 4 kg need a gentler slope to go up and down whereas a small rabbit is so much more agile. Something to consider. If you were to get a boy first it is fairly easy to introduce a female. Whereabouts are you?

Is the hutch 2-tier? Bunnies of 4 kg need a gentler slope to go up and down whereas a small rabbit is so much more agile. Something to consider. If you were to get a boy first it is fairly easy to introduce a female. Whereabouts are you?
The it is kind of two tier, the hutch sits on top of the built in run.

I did also suggest making the slope easier, if it's a bit harsh to start with. They made a note on the home check form as something to be specifically checked, but the lady we were talking to didn't seem too concerned.

I can't remember their exact weights, I think around 3.75kg, and to be fair they spent a lot of time lying down and they sort of spread out so look bigger. And I think that certainly the mum is a bit over weight as she didn't like to go into their enclosure as she didn't like the steps.

Ramps can be altered, or you could put a brick or something under the bottom of it to make it less steep.

Great news that you've found 2 buns, I hope your home check goes well :)

The Kendal hutch was the very first one we had (mentioned up thread), we did eventually go bigger, but with your other run and tunnel plan, hopefully it will be just the job. You've probably read that the hutch part can face forwards or backwards. We opted for backwards to make access / cleaning out easier! x

Thanks all

Home visit has been pushed back, the hutch had some damaged panels so we need to wait for the replacement parts before we can put it all together

A couple of years ago I had a terrible outbreak and lost 9 bunnies in 14 days. It was a really scary time for me especially as inititally the cause was unknown. It broke me and I actually ended up of work ill from the emotional toll. Thankfully we did manage to save some of my rabbits but although they still had first class care I couldn't connect with them in the same way. Eventually it did go away and I approached a local rescue half expecting to get turned down. I didn't and have since adopted 5 more bunnies. I miss the ones I lost terribly but I am really glad I kept bunnies in my life. Goodluck with your homecheck.

Back