• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pancur or EC test?

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
This is not regarding one of mine, it's a friend...

Does anyone know if there are any serious downsides to giving panacur to a rabbit who hasn't had EC confirmed? Bella (5yr old spayed female) has been drinking excessively for months. Bloods all normal other than slightly low white cell count. She temporarily gets better with baytril but goes back to the drinking soon after the course finishes. She's possibly slightly less lively than usual but eats, moves, poos and acts normal. Still affectionate and has no signs of pain. Weeing a lot as you'd expect from drinking up to 600 ml a day. Weight is at the low end of normal but very stable. She hasn't had a test for EC but the vet seemed to think there wasn't much point because of the false positives and her having no signs of renal damage etc. She's back for her 4th appointment on Wednesday after her second course of baytril hasn't made a dramatic difference. Should I push for a EC test or panacur? My vet has a very good reputation and is experienced with rabbits so I do trust her but I just don't know what to do next.

Thanks so much as always!

Has she had her teeth checked? I would imagine a good Vet has done this and also how much dried food does she eat.

Thank you, this is her reply-

“She's had her teeth checked a few times and all good. She eats a lot of hay but for her weight she should be drinking 150-200 ml per day and she sometimes gets through 6 or 700ml so I can't just blame hay!”

I really don’t think she over feeds pellets as she hand feeds all her rabbits as she’s had some choke previously so they’re all getting the same amount of pellets which is on the lower end and only one of the rabbits has this issue x

Has she had her urine tested as well? There could be a urinary tract infection which is temporarily relieved by the Baytril.
Have the back teeth (rather than just the front ones) been examined properly ie with an otoscope?
600ml of water a day doesn't sound particularly excessive, depending on the size of the rabbit and how active they are. There are some links on here which give the 'normal' amount of water a rabbit should drink.

Confirm with your vet, but here should be no reason why you can't use Panacur - either as a worming dose (9 days) or as EC prevention (28 days). Ideally, all rabbits need to be treated at once, in which case the 10% liquid (for cats and dogs) is a cheaper option than the tubes sold for rabbits. You will have to confirm the correct dose for each rabbit, according to their weight.

Back