• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving rabbits outside

Alicia

Mama Doe
I’m hopefully getting the keys to my flat next month! There’s 2 sheds in the garden and I’m thinking of putting the rabbits in one. It’s quite large, although I don’t know the exact measurements and I thought I’d put a cat flap in and attach a run. I feel bad because they’ve been inside for a long time, do you think they’ll be happy? I worry they will think I’ve thrown them outside and forgotten about them :( my dad said he’d put electric in it (I need to keep an extra freezer in the shed anyway) and I’ll fence a bit off so they can’t get to the freezer, I wondered about trying to figure out heating the shed, and maybe just give them full run of the shed.

What bedding do you use? Any ideas on what I can do with a shed? If anyone has any photos that would be good! I will look on the housing thread. I’d love to have the rabbits inside but they’re not reliably litter trained and I don’t want to have to keep them in a cage because of that.

They'll be fine. Lots and lots and lots of hay. When I had to move mine out of the house, they had to go to the garage (it has a side door and window). Inside the garage I put tents, the children's play kind. Inside the tents I put carriers, stuffed with hay. I used hay everywhere. I used insulating mats and put tarp and fleeces over that. It wasn't what I wanted for them but it was cosy.

Tbh if they aren’t cuddle bunnies, and are more interested in each other’s company then becoming outdoor rabbits shouldn’t really bother them I wouldn’t have thought, so long as it’s warmer weather when you do the move. It will be better with it being a shed, and I would attach a large run, then they have more indoor space than a hutch, and that will help them adjust to outdoor life. Also you will be able to sit in there with them too. When I had outdoor rabbits I didn’t heat the shed, it was insulated and I used snuggle safes in winter, with lots of hay for them to snuggle in. If you use rubber matting such as stable matting then it will be easier to clean, and I would keep hay and litter to trays only. You should have plenty of room for several litter trays,I used to put them in the places where they wanted a toilet rather than where I would have thought to put them! the under bed storage boxes are good.

Back