• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny's bum

Hi

Both of my bun's bums don't look the cleanest, and I was wondering what would be the best way to get them cleaned up?

I've cut back on what food they are given and they mainly have hay now in case it was the food that they ate.

I think I've heard that wet wipes can be used, but am I right?

Also how can I tell if my bun's need to lose weight or if they are hungry?

I did post this on a forum but can't find which one I put it on, so apologies if this is a double post!

Thanks
Mary

Hi Mary,
I am not the best of people to give advice on bunny care but I know for myself our rabbit Sapphire gets wet tail at a drop of a dime. Talk about high strung!! When this occurs we use a spray bunny bath to clean his behind. It works great..you can direct where you want to clean.
Also, is your rabbits poop solid or runny? If its runny it might have wet tail. We buy over the counter medicine to help and also add some old fashion oat meal to his food. Will clear it up in just a few days. :)

Nicole : 0 )

75556271.jpg
75556271.jpg
75556271.jpg
75556271.jpg

75556069.jpg
75556076.jpg
75556084.jpg
75556093.jpg
75556105.jpg

The best way to clean up a bunnys' butt is to send them to Adele for a holiday :lol: Brody had this problem for at least 2 years and I used to have to protect my clothes with a towel as I got covered in slop once too often. Adele has sorted her out and now she has the cleanest backside in rabbitdome.....

Thanks for this advice.

The poo tended to be runny and sticking to their fur.

I've cut back food etc and it seems to be better but Sweeper still seems to have some stuck to her which she panicked at when I tried to see what it looked like.

What can I buy here in the UK to try and use on them?

I lost a rabbit to flystrike about 10 years ago and am scared of having the same happening again to me.

Thanks
Mary

Try cutting back completely on food, so all she's eating is hay and water. I know it sounds mean, but she can live perfectly well on hay. This should sort her bum out. Once she's stopped doing sticky poos you can try slowly reintroducing veg, but she might be one of those bunnies that just can't cope with food mixes or pellets.

If the poo is properly runny, rather than just soft, then there might be something more serious wrong than just diet and you'll need to take her to see the vet.

What is the secret then Adele - could you point me in the direction of any previous thread which gives details of the diet that has cured Brody of her problems.
My buns don't have a problem at the moment but it would be nice to have in case problems do arise.

I did get some "rabbit and small animal hygiene wipes " by Petsafe from the pet shop. But not had to use them since they returned from "Adeles bunny boot camp" :lol: :lol: only joking Adele.....

Hi Mary

I have the same problem with my dwarf lop Lucy, her bum is always messy and she whiffs :oops: :lol: I took her to the vets for a once over (we've only had her 3 weeks, she came from a rescue centre). The vet gave me some shampoo to use on that area, however Lucy doesn't like it at all :cry:

So after getting advice from everyone on here I changed over to baby wet wipes, which I use during the week and then at the weekend I use the shampoo.

My other rabbit Ben doesn't suffer from this problem at all, I'm not sure if that's because he's got short hair, whereas Lucy has longer hair and her toilet gets stuck to her.

Good luck in trying to resolve the problem :D

Claire,
Adele told me that its quite common for rescue buns to have worms and she de-wormed Brody. Could be why they don't eat the poo, I mean that is bad enough anyway but if its riddled with worms (which I couldn't see) and smelly, well you just wouldn't would you

Back