• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected EC

Puppy pads are down and have already soaked a bunch out of her fur. Very promising going forwards! They also happen to exactly fit the potting tray i'm currently using as a litter tray. It's working perfectly as it's low enough for her to get in and out of at the front but deep enough at the back to hold a lot of hay without it all spilling out (though she does still drag it out the front with her when she leaves)
It's a bit annoying because literally the week before I'd perfected the room/hay storage/litter tray so I had almost no hay migration and now I have to sweep the room every morning but hey ho.

I've woken up feeling tonnes better! Not exactly well but I was able to do her leg stretches before work. No positive signs whatsoever but I'm getting very used to that and we've got a lovely little thing going where I turn her round at the end to massage her back and legs and she grooms me at the same time. She has gone from monster rabbit to total sweetheart, I can't believe it.

She appears to hate the harness I bought though - chewed a hole right through my bedding to make me aware of that. So I've got a couple of different styles on order that should arrive Monday :thumb:

I'll have a look at the vet bed. I think that'll be great after we're done with the daily bleaching, thanks for the suggestion MM!

Hey you're welcome! If I can think of anything else that might help I will let you know.

Glad you are feeling better :)

I don't know if she's picking up on the fact Simon and I are unwell and tired but yesterday and today she hasn't seemed very happy at all. Fingers crossed she perks up.
Back to peeing all over the place as well.

Its just occurred to me that I can bleach all the surfaces and bowls etc and I can steam these carpets but what do I do about the fact her back end gets covered in urine daily? How am I ever going to kill the parasites on her fur?

Also can anyone recommend a bunny safe shampoo? I've been using water only so far.

Hi BattleKat,

I have recently looked after a bunny with secondary EC and she had was constantly wet.

I used Vet's Best - Waterless Small Animal Bath no rinse foam, Dermisol Cream and Vaseline.
The vet nurse also shaved back the fur for me.

Something dry is definitely better - I initially tried Hibiscrub but it made it worse.
I really hope she gradually improves.

Kind regards,
Nicki

It has not been a good few days. Monday night she seemed super stressed out by the physio and being held and since it's been a steady decline in mobility even with doing the stretches and massages for hours every day I decided to lay off a bit and only stretch her legs out a few times in the morning and in the evening.
After doing that on Tuesday her legs were like a rag doll on Wednesday and I swear her paralysis has spread further up her spine to just behind her front legs. It's awful.
Today her left leg is a little less limp and I think she stretched her toes on her own.

Also I think her grooming me was some sort of related neurological thing because I'm noticing she grooms everything now. Me, Simon, the carpet, towels, even the cardboard box I put her in.

I wish I knew what the right thing to do was.

:cry: I’m afraid I can’t offer any advice but I’m thinking of you and sending hugs and vibes xx

Just had my lunch break. It felt like good news on the legs - she definitely stretched her right toes out and there was a little trembling in both legs. But since I put her down she's been refusing food and she looks really bad. Her eyes are sort of half closed and she doesn't seem happy. We have an appointment at the vet at 4.20.
Lola spent the remaining 40 minutes I was home grooming Niggy's back end. She's such a sweetheart.

Just had my lunch break. It felt like good news on the legs - she definitely stretched her right toes out and there was a little trembling in both legs. But since I put her down she's been refusing food and she looks really bad. Her eyes are sort of half closed and she doesn't seem happy. We have an appointment at the vet at 4.20.
Lola spent the remaining 40 minutes I was home grooming Niggy's back end. She's such a sweetheart.

I am sorry that she is not doing very well. I really hope that the Vet can offer some additional treatment/advice xx

It has not been a good few days. Monday night she seemed super stressed out by the physio and being held and since it's been a steady decline in mobility even with doing the stretches and massages for hours every day I decided to lay off a bit and only stretch her legs out a few times in the morning and in the evening.
After doing that on Tuesday her legs were like a rag doll on Wednesday and I swear her paralysis has spread further up her spine to just behind her front legs. It's awful.
Today her left leg is a little less limp and I think she stretched her toes on her own.

Also I think her grooming me was some sort of related neurological thing because I'm noticing she grooms everything now. Me, Simon, the carpet, towels, even the cardboard box I put her in.

I wish I knew what the right thing to do was.

Dilly does this when he is poorly. Regarding keeping him clean when he is wet - fleece bedding changed twice a day. changed his litter tray to a long underbed storage and it has that recycled paper stuff in. Aloe Vera for his skin and the vet has shaved him for us too. For Dilly the Panacur with Baytril seems to work for him plus metacam for pain. - sending vibes and hugs for you.

I’m so sorry to hear this. Hope the vet will change his mind and is able to help more tomorow. Sending loads of vibes nose rubs and hugs xx

Back