• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

He won't eat hay now!

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
So Ozzie is doing really well after his big dental.
His eye is definitely getting smaller etc.
Loving grass but he won't touch hay anymore.

We now have his favourite farm hay plus 2 other varieties

He is eating carrot shavings, broccoli, any fruit, fresh mint and grass from the garden.

So my question is how do I get him back on to hay or is it early days, 6 days post op.

He is still on meds too

Many thanks

So Ozzie is doing really well after his big dental.
His eye is definitely getting smaller etc.
Loving grass but he won't touch hay anymore.

We now have his favourite farm hay plus 2 other varieties

He is eating carrot shavings, broccoli, any fruit, fresh mint and grass from the garden.

So my question is how do I get him back on to hay or is it early days, 6 days post op.

He is still on meds too

Many thanks

When Frosty had his first dental, he went off the usual hay (farm baled) which he used to love. He wouldn’t eat it at all! Luckily after trying different samples from different places I managed to find some that he really liked. The hay experts do a sample pack, and Timothy hay.co.uk will send out samples.

At the moment my bunnies favourite hay is the Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk, and sweet green hay from nature’s own. It’s also worth trying things like Readigrass or similar, you can buy some in big sacks meant for horses which is cheaper, the grass tastic chopped grass goes down well here, and you can get samples from emerald green https://emeraldgreenfeeds.co.uk

I hope you can find things that he likes. I would also mention it to the vet, if he has had a lot of teeth removed, he might not be able to eat hay normally and need it chopped or something?

I wouldn't be too worried as long as he is eating plenty of grass. Hay will become more important in winter when you can't provide fresh grass. Agree with above - try different sorts of grass and readigrass, etc - he may prefer long or short, soft or stalky, etc, so it is a matter of finding what suits him at the time (and he will change his mind when you find the 'perfect' one).

Hope you find a hay he likes, but it is good that Ozzie is enjoying grass. My Spenser took a while to eat properly after his dental, but he was always a fussy boy! Hay Experts do both Timothy and Oat Hays in a mix with readigrass.

Thank you everyone.
He's gone back outside today coming back in overnight.
Still not eating hay but will tackle a whole carrot, pellets a d last night are a full spring greens leaf.
He now begs for his antibiotics! I tasted it and is really sweet. Clever little boy has a real sweet tooth, well the teeth he has left lol

Does he like dried forage? It's good he has an appetite for pellets and veg, but his long term dental health should benefit from being back on hay. My Spenser was a fussy hay-eater but liked it hand-feed or mixed in with forage like dried dandelion or plantain.

Back