• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding woes

nd9qAj2.jpg

If only they’d be like this without the bars!! (Do you think this is a good sign?)

It doesn't necessarily mean they will get on if put together, sadly. 2 boys can be bonded but whether the bond is as close as boy/girl I don't know.

I rang a lady in Hertfordshire today, she was lovely on the phone and seemed very knowledgeable. She said she’d try for us but did warn us that we might have to have 4 rabbits (! I presume as a group rather than two pairs!!) or swap one of them for a doe 😔. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, but she did sort of suggest that boy/girl pairings are best.

Complex little beasties!! I’ve had horses and they were far simpler 😄😄

I rang a lady in Hertfordshire today, she was lovely on the phone and seemed very knowledgeable. She said she’d try for us but did warn us that we might have to have 4 rabbits (! I presume as a group rather than two pairs!!) or swap one of them for a doe 😔. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, but she did sort of suggest that boy/girl pairings are best.

Complex little beasties!! I’ve had horses and they were far simpler 😄😄

Hmmm it will depend on the personalities.

I added three boys to a group of four and it went fine :)

But yes, if you come back with four rabbits I suspect as tonibun does that it might mean two pairs.

Ha, as much as we love both our buns, we realistically can’t have two pairs!! We live in a flat and wouldn’t be able to keep them separated. Sadly if we can’t bond these two together then one will have to be rehomed and swapped for a little girlfriend ☹️

Ha, as much as we love both our buns, we realistically can’t have two pairs!! We live in a flat and wouldn’t be able to keep them separated. Sadly if we can’t bond these two together then one will have to be rehomed and swapped for a little girlfriend ☹️

Yes I understand. So difficult to think about that, I hope it doesn't come to it.

Hi!

Just wanted to pop in with an update, the boys have gone to a lovely lady near Cambridge this week who has had pretty much no problem whatsoever with bonding them, and they’re coming back on Wednesday!! She loves them and has said they’re super cheeky (and tiny!)

Thank you for all your advice, we were clearly too nervous, novice and not neutral enough to be able to do it here. Fingers crossed it all continues to go well!!

Excellent news :D Thank you so much for letting us know. I hope everything continues to go well.

Yes, hope they are fine when they come home. People recommend to keep them in a small space at first then increase gradually.

Yes we have the puppy pen and my mission before they come back is to douse the whole room the white vinegar. We did swap them every 24 hours while they were separated so hopefully it will be ok!!

Brilliant news. I have a quad of rabbits! Two bucks who fell out and had to be rebonded. Whilst I was at it I added two does. They have been together for 6 years and have never fallen out again.

Your rabbits are really sweet!

We were very very tempted by this option after seeing some of the lovely buns in the affiliated rescue!!! But then insurance for two is expensive enough haha

Morning,

The boys have been great, doing all the right things and we have slowly increased their space so that they had the full living room on Friday evening (over a week since we got them back from the bonder).

But this morning we woke up to fur everywhere and one of the boys cowering in the corner as they’ve fought over night 😔. Please help...should we separate them again? Would this be more damaging?

Xx

I'm sorry that this has happened :(

It would appear that it is connected to increasing their space. I wouldn't separate, if you can be around to observe them, but I would go back to a smaller space for a while again.

I'm sorry that this has happened :(

It would appear that it is connected to increasing their space. I wouldn't separate, if you can be around to observe them, but I would go back to a smaller space for a while again.

I agree with this. If they fight in the smaller space you would need to consider if this is going to work.

Ok thank you. We had to separate them as we had to go to work 😩. But will put them back together when I get home about midday and keep an eye on them. Fingers crossed 😔

I would neutralise the smaller space and make it somewhere neither have been if possible. Fingers crossed for you. I would keep them together barring fighting, and only increase space slowly, say 1 puppy panel at a time, after at least 48 hrs of no fur pulling, humping or chasing.

Are both bunnies healthy? And no injuries from the fight?

Thank you so much. We had to separate them for a few hours but they’re back together now in a smaller space. Lots of chasing and I’ve had to break up a proper fight. One keeps approaching the other, who is scared and runs, which prompts the other to chase. They’ve now developed into D approaching C, C thumping and running a few steps, and D ignoring it. Which is progress I guess...D is grooming and semi relaxed. C is quite scared still. I have rubbed them down with pet remedy wipes and left it in there with them too.

Back