• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding woes

Help1234

Young Bun
I was hoping for some advice. My sister and I have recently adopted two bunnies. They are Netherland Dwarves and from the same litter. When we adopted them the owner told us she thought they were both girls (they were 8 weeks at the time). When we took them to the vets for their jabs etc we were told they were both boys, and to bring them back if they started fighting to be neutered, which we did.

We have not owned rabbits before, but have spoken to the vet about re-bonding after castration, and read extensively. It has now been 7 weeks since castration we have been attempting to re-bond them. Currently they are in our living room separated by a puppy pen which they can sniff and groom each other through. They are happy to flop next to each other and eat next to each other etc. They have been in this set up since castration. They are never caged.

This week we have been putting them in a neutral area for about 10 minutes at a time to see how they go. It hasn’t been going very well at all. We have stopped any fights immediately, but they have continued to fight through the puppy gate when back in the living room after we have ended the session. Unfortunately, last night one broke through the fence and they fought while we we in bed (fur everywhere!) although luckily neither seem injured. We have been doing more reading and have read lots about two boys being incompatible. As I speak they are acting in a way I thought was good - one (Clover - who we presumed would be dominant!) is grooming the other (daffodil) through the bars. However, when actually put together, clover, the groomer, (which signals submission) is often the aggressor who demands daffodil submits. Daffodil, who is right now being happily groomed, tends to huddle and not interact with clover until he demands daffodil groom him. At which point daffodil attacks.

Is it worth persevering? Or does one of them need to be rehomed and we adopt a female? We’d be reluctant to do that, but can’t carry on like this!

Thank you

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

I think 7 weeks is long enough to say that their hormones should have calmed down by now. I have had no experience with bonding two males, but I do have a Netherland Dwarf doe myself and she is always the one to get a bit aggressive when I've introduced her to other rabbits. That breed are known for being quite feisty.

I don't think it's impossible to bond two males - there are members on the forum who I know have had male siblings living in pairs before. It might be worth having a few more tries to see if they come around to each other. It sounds like you're doing a great job and you've thoroughly researched the process. Hopefully some other forum members can offer more of an insight from their personal experience.

Good luck!

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

I think 7 weeks is long enough to say that their hormones should have calmed down by now. I have had no experience with bonding two males, but I do have a Netherland Dwarf doe myself and she is always the one to get a bit aggressive when I've introduced her to other rabbits. That breed are known for being quite feisty.

I don't think it's impossible to bond two males - there are members on the forum who I know have had male siblings living in pairs before. It might be worth having a few more tries to see if they come around to each other. It sounds like you're doing a great job and you've thoroughly researched the process. Hopefully some other forum members can offer more of an insight from their personal experience.

Good luck!

Thank you! We had a slightly more positive interaction this morning...Daffodil was grooming Clover through the bars of the puppy pen, which he’s always refused to do before. So maybe there is hope for them yet...

I would give them some more time, maybe 2 or3 more weeks as it is more difficult to bond 2 males as opposed to male/female. Good luck.

Thank you, it’s such a nerve wracking experience!!! And so frustrating to see them cuddled up together through the bars, and then trying to lunge at each other when put in the hallway 😫

I was hoping for some advice. My sister and I have recently adopted two bunnies. They are Netherland Dwarves and from the same litter. When we adopted them the owner told us she thought they were both girls (they were 8 weeks at the time). When we took them to the vets for their jabs etc we were told they were both boys, and to bring them back if they started fighting to be neutered, which we did.

We have not owned rabbits before, but have spoken to the vet about re-bonding after castration, and read extensively. It has now been 7 weeks since castration we have been attempting to re-bond them. Currently they are in our living room separated by a puppy pen which they can sniff and groom each other through. They are happy to flop next to each other and eat next to each other etc. They have been in this set up since castration. They are never caged.

This week we have been putting them in a neutral area for about 10 minutes at a time to see how they go. It hasn’t been going very well at all. We have stopped any fights immediately, but they have continued to fight through the puppy gate when back in the living room after we have ended the session. Unfortunately, last night one broke through the fence and they fought while we we in bed (fur everywhere!) although luckily neither seem injured. We have been doing more reading and have read lots about two boys being incompatible. As I speak they are acting in a way I thought was good - one (Clover - who we presumed would be dominant!) is grooming the other (daffodil) through the bars. However, when actually put together, clover, the groomer, (which signals submission) is often the aggressor who demands daffodil submits. Daffodil, who is right now being happily groomed, tends to huddle and not interact with clover until he demands daffodil groom him. At which point daffodil attacks.

Is it worth persevering? Or does one of them need to be rehomed and we adopt a female? We’d be reluctant to do that, but can’t carry on like this!

Thank you

A few suggestions:

Try using Pet Rescue Remedy Diffuser in their environment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Remedy...YEY7NNEYXCK&psc=1&refRID=DS2JRGY6XYEY7NNEYXCK

Squish up some banana and put a bit on the head of both Rabbits to encourage mutual grooming

Avoid putting them together if the weather is sunny and 'Spring Like'

Scatter feed pellets about when they are together to distract them from any argy bargy

Do not provide litter trays or hidey holes that could increase territorial behaviour

Place a larger than they are soft toy in with them

Have a radio or television on for constant background noise

Rub urine soiled bedding from Clover onto Daff' and visa versa

No guarantees that any of the above will help, but over the last 21 years and in certain situations they have for me when bonding 2 Bucks, especially siblings

My only hard and fast rule is that if a fight occurs where-by either or both Rabbits sustain an injury that draws blood I call it a day

Good luck x

I am sending you some vibes that your brothers can get back together. Jane has giving you wonderful advice.
I have read that having a rounded area where no bunny can corner the other one may help during bonding. I am not sure if this would work because only one of my littermates could be neutered due to medical issues and it broke my heart that they could only have closely supervised visits.

Last edited:

Thank you

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I have done dozens of successful bondings but I am very cautious. With males I do not bond sooner than eight weeks post castration, and preferably twelve weeks. This is the length of time it takes for hormones to settle down.

So my advice would be to leave it a few more weeks and try again before giving up completely. I have bonded three males into a group without issue, and two were dominant personalities.

I personally keep rabbits away from sight or smell of one another until the time I decide to put them together, but I know people all have differing opinions on this.

Good luck :)

Thank you everyone, some really good advice. Hopefully we can sort it out - I really really don’t want to have to be ‘that’ person that has to go to a rescue with their animal and put more strain on them (Although obviously we’d take a female to live with the remaining bun). Not to mention the fact that we’d have to choose a bunny to give up!! But we can’t live for the lifespan of the rabbits as we are now, and definitely don’t have room for 2 pairs of rabbits. I’ll take a picture to show you all when I work out how.

Lots of brilliant advice and we’ll try it all out, maybe give them a week, which will then make it 8.5 weeks post castration. And DEFINITELY going to get the diffuser.

Could anyone recommend a rescue centre in Essex/east London that might be able to help us to bond the rabbits (for a fee of course) - I’ve heard that some centres offer this but we’ve not had lots of luck searching on the internet.

Thank you again.
Heather

ukyA0Rj.jpg

xlUUC6x.jpg

7ARahga.jpg

Excuse the mess...but you can see it’s not idea long term! (And you can see how adorable they are!!) I should add - they get swapped over every 24 hours, and when they are swapped they still mostly use their litter tray, so they hopefully aren’t too territorial!

ukyA0Rj.jpg

xlUUC6x.jpg

7ARahga.jpg

Excuse the mess...but you can see it’s not idea long term! (And you can see how adorable they are!!) I should add - they get swapped over every 24 hours, and when they are swapped they still mostly use their litter tray, so they hopefully aren’t too territorial!

What gorgeous rabbits :love:

Good luck whatever you choose to do :)

Thank you, we think they’re gorgeous!

I’ve just seen on another forum where I asked for advice that someone had to have their rabbit put down this morning after a bonding session went wrong...i’m thinking that living with a puppy gate across the living room for 5-7 years might not be so bad 😱😫

Thank you, we think they’re gorgeous!

I’ve just seen on another forum where I asked for advice that someone had to have their rabbit put down this morning after a bonding session went wrong...i’m thinking that living with a puppy gate across the living room for 5-7 years might not be so bad ����

What a shame! But this is a very rare occurrence. Boys will inflict horrendous injuries on one another but owners usually intervene before fights get out of hand.

Mess, what mess? They are lovely bunnies and I can see why you would have difficulty choosing only one. Sending you more positive vibes so you never have to make that choice.

We have kind of left it for the week as we’re feeling nervous! They are currently flopped next to each other (separated by the bars), but they have also been trying to bite each other through the bars - tails up, lunging at each other. We have the names of a couple of professional bonders so we call them tomorrow. Feeling a bit helpless tbh! Any recommendations of anyone that might be able to help in Essex/east London would be much appreciated x

We have kind of left it for the week as we’re feeling nervous! They are currently flopped next to each other (separated by the bars), but they have also been trying to bite each other through the bars - tails up, lunging at each other. We have the names of a couple of professional bonders so we call them tomorrow. Feeling a bit helpless tbh! Any recommendations of anyone that might be able to help in Essex/east London would be much appreciated x

Anywhere near you?

https://www.facebook.com/starlightsanimalboarding/

Last edited:
Yes very close! She sounds brilliant, but by the looks of her facebook page she’s just had a baby so don’t know how much she is doing at the moment. She’s on my list to give a call to tomorrow morning, plus a lady in Hertfordshire called Caroline. We just want some semblance of normality back to our living room!

Yes very close! She sounds brilliant, but by the looks of her facebook page she’s just had a baby so don’t know how much she is doing at the moment. She’s on my list to give a call to tomorrow morning, plus a lady in Hertfordshire called Caroline. We just want some semblance of normality back to our living room!

Good luck!

Back