• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Broken teeth? :(

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
One of the younger litter was lying fast asleep on her back and I saw her teeth didn't look right... They're broken. Is this seriously bad news?? Can they just grown out??
JfOLm6t.jpg
vVCN1Yf.jpg

They may need evening up by a vet so they grind down properly, otherwise they may grow misaligned - it is a very quick procedure and shouldn't need sedation just to burr (rather than clip, as that can damage the roots) them level - it's no more than a nail trim, really. I would also make sure they are getting plenty of calcium (eg cabbage) to help with their general growth, and so the teeth are not deficient at an early age. This may help:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

They may need evening up by a vet so they grind down properly, otherwise they may grow misaligned - it is a very quick procedure and shouldn't need sedation just to burr (rather than clip, as that can damage the roots) them level - it's no more than a nail trim, really. I would also make sure they are getting plenty of calcium (eg cabbage) to help with their general growth, and so the teeth are not deficient at an early age. This may help:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

I agree, but there is also a possibility that Baby Bunny may have congenital incisor malocclusion. I'd get all of the litter checked over by the Vet early next week. Some information about CIM here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CongenIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

Last edited:
Just got back from the vets. It was a broken tooth and the vet was able to pull the but that had broken off out! No cost at Animal Trust Vet, feeling so grateful! Just keeping an eye on her now x

Just got back from the vets. It was a broken tooth and the vet was able to pull the but that had broken off out! No cost at Animal Trust Vet, feeling so grateful! Just keeping an eye on her now x

I'd check all the Babies' Incisors regularly and weigh them all a couple of times a week.

What pellet feed do they have ?

I'd check all the Babies' Incisors regularly and weigh them all a couple of times a week.

What pellet feed do they have ?

Thanks, I am doing :)

I took one of the others from the litter with her and she said his front and back teeth look perfect. I checked all the others myself and they look fine too. They are on Burgess Excl 1w+, lots of hay and some spring greens.

I have been looking into Frances Harcourt Brown saying healthy adult rabbits don't need pellets or just very very small amounts as treats. I was wondering when i could/should be reducing the amounts for these babies and their mum...

Thanks, I am doing :)

I took one of the others from the litter with her and she said his front and back teeth look perfect. I checked all the others myself and they look fine too. They are on Burgess Excl 1w+, lots of hay and some spring greens.

I have been looking into Frances Harcourt Brown saying healthy adult rabbits don't need pellets or just very very small amounts as treats. I was wondering when i could/should be reducing the amounts for these babies and their mum...

I would not reduce the pelleted feed for the kits til they are at least 6 months of age. I'd reduce Mummy Bunny's Pellets a couple of weeks after the litter have been removed from her. As you probably know, the reduction needs to be done gradually and hay intake, poo output and weight need to be closely monitored.

Glad to here all seems to be going well for the Bunny Family :love:

I would not reduce the pelleted feed for the kits til they are at least 6 months of age. I'd reduce Mummy Bunny's Pellets a couple of weeks after the litter have been removed from her. As you probably know, the reduction needs to be done gradually and hay intake, poo output and weight need to be closely monitored.

Glad to here all seems to be going well for the Bunny Family :love:

Brilliant, what I thought really, thanks so much :) x

Back