• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun Run Makeover

Beapig

Mama Doe
Jazzing up the bunny run has been on the backburner for a while now, but since Plumpkin has passed and the space feels so empty and sad without her, I feel like it really needs to happen for both myself and the bunnies.

This morning I cleared up the space to get a better look at what we're working with. What is for sure is that I'm going to level the ground entirely and sow new grass. I'm going to section it off to do this so it has a lot of time to get established before the buns munch their way through it. I'm also going to add a herringbone red brick path from the gate to the shed. The back of the neighbour's fence on the right hand side, which is a bit unsightly, will be covered in reed screening. That will also cover the back of the ugly brown metal shed.

The only thing I'm unsure about is what to do with the old brick greenhouse base. Originally I was just going to dig it up, but that seems a bit wasteful, so I'm wondering if I could turn it into some kind of raised bed.

20190308_102106 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20190308_102050 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20190308_102043 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

I was thinking that we could possibly add wood to the top of the bricks and make a U shaped bed like this? Or else two beds which are parallel to each other?

safest-material-for-raised-garden-beds-safest-material-for-raised-garden-beds-alternative-materials-for-raised-garden-beds-wood-to-make-cool-safest-material-for-raised-garden-beds by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

I have been thinking for a while that I would like to make a bunny safe wild flower/weed/forage bed which would just contain greens to feed the rabbits every day. So it could work out quite well in that it would be in their run and I could pick their breakfast every day. The only thing is I would have to make the wood tall enough that they can't climb into it and eat everything.

I'm still up for removing it completely and starting from scratch, but I hate waste so it would be nice to keep it if I can put it to use. Any suggestions?

Oh and also, the long horizontal log there is where Plumpkin is buried :cry: I put the other logs around it to make a climbing area for the bunnies to be close to her, but in the long run we will be planting a tree beside her grave to celebrate her life.

That's a wonderful space for them :love:

It's difficult to think how best to do this. I like your idea of a raised bed with wood and planting rabbit-safe foragey items in it. My initial thought was that the u-shaped option would use too much of the overall ground area (I presume it is 8'x6'?), but then if it's enclosed with wood, you'll need to get access, so maybe make the central part a bit thinner. Also if you put wood on the top, you will create shade and so I would consider something more open to prevent the rabbits sneaking an early breakfast.

Such a great space! Do you have any worries about the space not having a cover of some sort over it in terms of predators? I'm wondering myself about having my rabbit in the garden freely like this. Thanks!

That's a wonderful space for them :love:

It's difficult to think how best to do this. I like your idea of a raised bed with wood and planting rabbit-safe foragey items in it. My initial thought was that the u-shaped option would use too much of the overall ground area (I presume it is 8'x6'?), but then if it's enclosed with wood, you'll need to get access, so maybe make the central part a bit thinner. Also if you put wood on the top, you will create shade and so I would consider something more open to prevent the rabbits sneaking an early breakfast.

I think I agree with you there Omi - I didn't want to waste the structure but it is huge and perhaps a bit impractical. I will definitely have some kind of raised bed for their forage - maybe something more like this? I have scrap wood including some chunky left-over fence posts that could work well for this kind of design.

81WdGcFM1bL._SY355_ by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Bellatrix15, I guess it depends on how safe you feel your garden is. We've lived here with the buns for 1.5 years, and in that time we've been cautious but have never had any problems with predators. The garden is very secure and we aren't in an area with foxes. I work from home and can see them from my studio, so they're let out all day from breakfast until it gets dark.

I'm still wary, but to be honest not worried at all now. Our street is cat-heavy but all of the cats are scared of the rabbits (including my own cat!)

I can see now that I didn't explain myself very well :) What I meant was that the inner part of the "U" looked a bit like wasted ground space, which is why I suggested maybe making that part thinner for access.

Your recent pic is another good option if you want to cut down the overall area. This option would also provide some shade for the rabbits to lie under if it was very hot and sunny.

I would 100% use the bricked area to create a bunny-food garden. Absolutely love that idea (and so will the buns!). Not to mention it will save on food and you'd be able to eat from it as well. :D

You could do something like this, maybe:

Gardening-Raised_Bed_Fence-8x8-2-2zoom.jpg

I can see now that I didn't explain myself very well :) What I meant was that the inner part of the "U" looked a bit like wasted ground space, which is why I suggested maybe making that part thinner for access.

Your recent pic is another good option if you want to cut down the overall area. This option would also provide some shade for the rabbits to lie under if it was very hot and sunny.

Oh I've got you now Omi, sorry, I misread what you said :) I might play around with some scrap wood and see how it looks.

Lisa F, that is lovely too! The height of the wood looks ideal - it would certainly keep the bunnies from climbing up there :)

Back