• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mega colon

juneau

New Kit
Hi, i just came back from the vet with my 3yr old rabbit Dylan, for almost 2 weeks now his appetite has been poor and droppings either none or small, he saw a vet last week but was given a shot of emeprid which did no good at all so this morning i took him to a rabbit vet and he now has ranitidine, loxicam,cisapride and parafin, after an xray the vet he is full of food but he gut is not moving quickly enough and the food in him is very dry so i have to use this medication for a week, feed him leafy greens which are wet and he is going back next thursday but she mentioned he may have mega colon and i just wondered if anyone had any experience or advice about this, thankyou

Hi, i just came back from the vet with my 3yr old rabbit Dylan, for almost 2 weeks now his appetite has been poor and droppings either none or small, he saw a vet last week but was given a shot of emeprid which did no good at all so this morning i took him to a rabbit vet and he now has ranitidine, loxicam,cisapride and parafin, after an xray the vet he is full of food but he gut is not moving quickly enough and the food in him is very dry so i have to use this medication for a week, feed him leafy greens which are wet and he is going back next thursday but she mentioned he may have mega colon and i just wondered if anyone had any experience or advice about this, thankyou
Hi sorry Dylan is unwell :(

I do, but he doesn't suffer with gut stasis.. It's more his output is unusual, he does produce some normal rabbit boulder, but mostly they're low a wet splat.. [emoji38] Kinda like a cow pat..

What made your vet think megacolon, do you know? :)

Sorry I can't be of more help x

Dylan has been passing wet splatters for a while now but he has been ok in himself its only been the last 2 weeks he has been off his food and droppings are misshaped, the vet just thought due to his symptoms it may be the problem and if hes no better next week i think she is going to do some kind of test, i have never heard of it and just wanted to know if rabbits can get medication and live with it, thankyou for your reply

Dylan has been passing wet splatters for a while now but he has been ok in himself its only been the last 2 weeks he has been off his food and droppings are misshaped, the vet just thought due to his symptoms it may be the problem and if hes no better next week i think she is going to do some kind of test, i have never heard of it and just wanted to know if rabbits can get medication and live with it, thankyou for your reply

I'd be interested to know what test it is if you could find out :D

My rabbit has no meds for his, we control it as best we can with diet. He's basically hay only, except for a few exceptions :)

i dont know what he test is called but the vet said inserting dye into his rectum to show up how wide the colon is but he is not doing well at the moment he hasn,t eaten since this morning and has passed only a few small droppings despite having cisapride, loxicam, ranitidine and parafin, losing hope a bit, may have him put to sleep today if he hasn,t eaten by morning

These links may be useful to take at look at

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/RO-Spring-17-Megacolon.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8822192

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Differential/mega_differential.htm

https://www.vgr1.com/megacolon/

https://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

I have some additional information about Megacolon obtained via a Veterinary Educational Site but it is all copyright protected so I cannot post it on a Public Forum. I could email it to you as a pdf file. PM me if you would like me to do so.

Back