• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protein levels in forage help

New update

So after the plantain she seemed fine.

OH seems to think treats are essential to the buns and gave her plantain two days on a row. I'm was not amused.

I said he was ruining the experiment, but he wouldn't listen.

Anyway she has now ripped loads of fur out. :-(

OH thinks its not related and I'm clutching at straws.

I've told him no more forage now for at least month, maybe 6 weeks. I want to see if we give her nothing extra at all if she stops pulling. Then is she carries on pulling fur we know it's nothing to do with the forage.

Pip seems ok and is munching her pellets at the moment. I thought she looked gassy last night and now I'm annoyed with OH.

Hi Parchie,

I have been pondering lady pips situation for a while and I have had a brain wave. My Millie girl used to pull fur out, sometimes it would be in a nest and sometimes it would be scattered on the floor. Is it possible as part of spring fever some female bunnies may get the urge to create nests even though they are spayed? I used to find little nests she had made and she was spayed around 6 months but didn't start making fur nests till maybe one years old?

Also pondering mites?

Stress? Have you got any pet remedy plug in to try?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hi Loobers

Thanks for thinking about Pip.

Nesting was ruled out, because she eats the fur and has never made a nest. It's also all year round.

She has had mite treatment and it didn't help.

We tried the plugin and it didn't help. Pip shows no other signs of stress and is always flopped in a relaxed sploof. She also coped extreming well, when we moved house, no increase it fur pulling at all.

She is a strange creature, but I love her dearly.

Hi Loobers

Thanks for thinking about Pip.

Nesting was ruled out, because she eats the fur and has never made a nest. It's also all year round.

She has had mite treatment and it didn't help.

We tried the plugin and it didn't help. Pip shows no other signs of stress and is always flopped in a relaxed sploof. She also coped extreming well, when we moved house, no increase it fur pulling at all.

She is a strange creature, but I love her dearly.
Hmmm I will have to ponder this some more!

Thanks zoobec. Pip is fine, munching away on hay. OH is currently listening, but thinks it's a waste of time. Rolls her eyes

:roll: I sometimes wish people wouldn’t question our testing or feeding regimes! I don’t feed apple cores to my bunnies since I found out about the tiny amount of cyanide in the pips. Every time someone has an apple it’s the same debate,’ can’t we feed it to them, blah blah, and it’s a wonder there’s any wild rabbits left if they are so fragile ‘ :roll: and don’t get me started about 3 of them wanting to give them all a banana skin. 3 at once :roll::shock:

:roll: I sometimes wish people wouldn’t question our testing or feeding regimes! I don’t feed apple cores to my bunnies since I found out about the tiny amount of cyanide in the pips. Every time someone has an apple it’s the same debate,’ can’t we feed it to them, blah blah, and it’s a wonder there’s any wild rabbits left if they are so fragile ‘ :roll: and don’t get me started about 3 of them wanting to give them all a banana skin. 3 at once :roll::shock:
Haha. Yes they always know best. I can't imagine a banana skin is very tasty anyway?

Just just been woken by archies tiny paws hopping under the bed.

Haha. Yes they always know best. I can't imagine a banana skin is very tasty anyway?

Just just been woken by archies tiny paws hopping under the bed.

They actually love a bit of banana skin. I buy organic ones so there’s no pesticides etc on the skin.
Archie :love:

They actually love a bit of banana skin. I buy organic ones so there’s no pesticides etc on the skin.
Archie :love:
Huh I had no idea. Archie and Pip both turned their little noses up at banana.

Got to go clean the house now, make it look like it's not always covered in hay and poop.

Haha

Huh I had no idea. Archie and Pip both turned their little noses up at banana.

Got to go clean the house now, make it look like it's not always covered in hay and poop.

Haha

Boots could smell a banana being peeled 2 rooms away and would mug me for some :lol: :love:

:lol: I wondered how there was a poop upstairs in our bedroom when it’s a rabbit free zone, but I’ve discovered that large golden poops can be gripped in the ridges on the sole of my slippers :roll::lol:

Update for you all.

It's been 12 days since we stopped giving the buns any treats and forage. Pip has just been having hay and pellets.

All started well, but the last 3 data she has ripped an eaten lots of her fur.

Feeling a bit sad that it probably isn't the treats at all and wondering if I should just give up.

Also thinking perhaps I just need to give it longer, maybe her guts need to settle?

She definitely has less output too.

Cry

Update for you all.

It's been 12 days since we stopped giving the buns any treats and forage. Pip has just been having hay and pellets.

All started well, but the last 3 data she has ripped an eaten lots of her fur.

Feeling a bit sad that it probably isn't the treats at all and wondering if I should just give up.

Also thinking perhaps I just need to give it longer, maybe her guts need to settle?

She definitely has less output too.

Cry
Oh poor lady pip :(

Do you think it could be a stress thing :(? I had a research it and I couldn't find anything that you hadn't already looked into.

Maybe you could ask the vet at the Rwaf If he has any suggestions?

Oh poor lady pip :(

Do you think it could be a stress thing :(? I had a research it and I couldn't find anything that you hadn't already looked into.

Maybe you could ask the vet at the Rwaf If he has any suggestions?

I don't think it could be a stress thing, its not often enough. I wondered if it was because people visited the house, but we haven't had anyone here this week. Nothing else has changed that should make her stressed.

Only thing is the weather has got warmer this last few days, so may have triggered her to moult? And so she's pulling it out because it's loose?

Trying not to worry about her, but she won't eat her hay because it's a new bag :-( she's eating a hay cookie though.

Who's the rwaf vet?

I don't think it could be a stress thing, its not often enough. I wondered if it was because people visited the house, but we haven't had anyone here this week. Nothing else has changed that should make her stressed.

Only thing is the weather has got warmer this last few days, so may have triggered her to moult? And so she's pulling it out because it's loose?

Trying not to worry about her, but she won't eat her hay because it's a new bag :-( she's eating a hay cookie though.

Who's the rwaf vet?
Maybe your right and she's just over grooming? The vet is Richard Saunders, I think they offer free advice. Might be worth a go? She's a fussy bun but I'm glad to hear she's eating hay cookie. Do you give her wet fresh foods?

Maybe your right and she's just over grooming? The vet is Richard Saunders, I think they offer free advice. Might be worth a go? She's a fussy bun but I'm glad to hear she's eating hay cookie. Do you give her wet fresh foods?

Do you know how to contact him, do I just email the main rwaf email?

Not at the moment she doesn't.

I'm a member, do you need a member number or something? I've never used any of the rwaf things tbh [emoji38] tbf it's £20 for the year and you get the magazines :) altho tbh I don't think I'll renew when it next comes around.

Yes wondering about joining, haven't got a lot of spare cash, but should be able to sort that.

Also looking at Oxbow papaya tablets to her digest the fur. Have you tried them. My vet said it might be worth a try.

Back