• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plumb Bun

Siegmeyer

Young Bun
Hello guys,

On the last two vet trips I was told my bunny Thumper (nethie) has gotten a bit round. The first vet trip being in autumn I had been thinking that he was just getting his winter coat so looked rounder, but then the vet trip happened and they’ve said he’s gained some weight but not too much but they wouldn’t want him to gain anymore. Now he’s gained some more I don’t know how.

He gets unlimited Timothy hay from Timothyhay. He use to get just a small amount of burgess pellets every day, and maybe a treat and some veg. Since the vet trip he’s only had his hay and some veg, no treats and barely any pellets.

Anyone got any ideas of why he might be gaining weight and how I could get him to loose a bit of weight please? He lives in an 8ft shed with an attached 6ft run and he gets playtime in the garden so I don’t think excercise is an issue.

Does he have a bunny friend? My bunny Frosty had plenty of space but he didn’t exercise much until I bonded him with Fern :thumb:

My vet had the "I don't want Joey" to gain anymore weight talk with me recently too. What kind of veg does he have? I can't imagine leafy veg in appropriate quantities would make him gain too much weight but if there are any apple, carrot etc chunks creeping in it'd be wise to cut them out. How many is "barely any" pellets. Joey was on 8, now done to 4g.

Does he have a bunny friend? My bunny Frosty had plenty of space but he didn’t exercise much until I bonded him with Fern :thumb:
Lopsy was the same: we had to force him to exercise by arranging his food in such a way that he needed to move, think, throw and stretch. All his food, except hay!

It might take a couple of months to see any weight loss, it won't happen overnight. A teaspoonful of pellets should give him the nutrition he needs with his hay and maybe a small piece of veg or herbs and he should start to look slimmer. :)

Back