• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bulging eye possible abscess

HES OK X
Syringed every 20-30 mins last night got him to 11pm on about 4ml a time by then.
Up at 6.45am and he ate 2 grapes and 4 strands of grass slowly. Syringed 3ml an hour till lunchtime but by then he was eating slowly with mint, shavings of carrot then I dropped the pear by accident and he dived on it. So he is now due his drugs of choice lol but I am quietly confident that we have got this. He has continued to eat during the afternoon, did a big wee and we have had the 'overnight' poo during the day but its poo so something is going through. Stan hasnt ventured far, spending most of his day in the cats play tunnel but at an angle where he could see Ozzie. Its such a bromance!.

I really appreciate all the advice and vibes i have received, thank you xx
Back to the vets Tuesday night. Vet has suggested that his eye may stay as it is but I am getting better at looking at it. and I dont care, my boy is home and doing ok, whether its big, small or even if his sight is gone its fine.

We have had rabbits for 12 years and never had a dental bun before. I used to think dentals were for bunnies that were not looked after. I now know differently. Ours have always been free range, had loads of hay, bunny friendly twigs, good diet etc, its just one of those things. I am just glad I knew to take him, because photos online look much worse than our Ozzie

Last edited:
HES OK X
Syringed every 20-30 mins last night got him to 11pm on about 4ml a time by then.
Up at 6.45am and he ate 2 grapes and 4 strands of grass slowly. Syringed 3ml an hour till lunchtime but by then he was eating slowly with mint, shavings of carrot then I dropped the pear by accident and he dived on it. So he is now due his drugs of choice lol but I am quietly confident that we have got this. He has continued to eat during the afternoon, did a big wee and we have had the 'overnight' poo during the day but its poo so something is going through. Stan hasnt ventured far, spending most of his day in the cats play tunnel but at an angle where he could see Ozzie. Its such a bromance!.

I really appreciate all the advice and vibes i have received, thank you xx
Back to the vets Tuesday night. Vet has suggested that his eye may stay as it is but I am getting better at looking at it. and I dont care, my boy is home and doing ok, whether its big, small or even if his sight is gone its fine.

We have had rabbits for 12 years and never had a dental bun before. I used to think dentals were for bunnies that were not looked after. I now know differently. Ours have always been free range, had loads of hay, bunny friendly twigs, good diet etc, its just one of those things. I am just glad I knew to take him, because photos online look much worse than our Ozzie

I am glad he's doing so well!

Yes any bun can be a dental bun. I have looked after a lot of dental buns from rescue centres over the years.

He is lucky to have you looking after him :cry:

Pleased he is doing well. I'm a wee bit late but I had a rabbit years ago with a retrobulbar abscess and the bulginhg of her eye was so extreme it was awful to look at and I thought surely she'd have permanent damage, but they are amazing little creatures and it did come down and back to normal and I couldn't see any evidence there was long term damage. Hope he continues to do well. :)

Back