• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bulging eye possible abscess

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
Hi it's a few years since I posted.
Ozzie is roughly 10 now and in good general health.
Friday I noticed one eye was bulging.
I've been to the vets this morning. It's not glaucoma.
The vet suspects an abscess possibly from a tooth pushing the eye.

He goes in the morning for a GA. They are going to x-ray and see what's going on.

So what's the chances of it being 'just an abcess' and nothing sinister.
How common is this kind of thing. Hes an old but young at heart boy but I just worry about if he's too old to deal with what's ahead

Thank you for reading. Any advice would be appreciated

Hi, I don’t have any experience of this, so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes for him :thumb:

He goes in the morning for a GA. They are going to x-ray and see what's going on.

How common is this kind of thing. Hes an old but young at heart boy but I just worry about if he's too old to deal with what's ahead

I am sorry to hear this. If it is a retrobulbar abscess then what treatment options may be possible will depend on radiographic findings. I take it that it is just the one eye that is bulging ?

There is some info' about Retrobulbar Abscesses on these links :

http://www.haleveterinaryhospital.co.uk/factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_290515.shtml

Sending lots of vibes for Ozzie x

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/RetrobulbarAbscessRabbit.htm

Yes just one eye. Its doesnt appear to be bothering him in the least, still eating drinking, washing running round, begging. I have got everything crossed, we one of our cats at christmas to a facial tumour out of the blue so are still reeling from that.

Yes just one eye. Its doesnt appear to be bothering him in the least, still eating drinking, washing running round, begging. I have got everything crossed, we one of our cats at christmas to a facial tumour out of the blue so are still reeling from that.

Oh I am sorry about your poor Cat :cry: For Ozzie an abscess is far more likely than a tumour. Whilst a retrobulbar abscess is never 'good news', the condition can sometimes be well managed. Topping up the vibes for him xx

Yes it may be an abscess, and I had a rabbit with an abscess behind her eye and the eye was removed and she did very well for the rest of her life.

There are other things possible but I won't go posting scary links as its best you find out the facts from your vet.

I am sorry you lost your cat. I hope you have some news on Ozzie soon x

Thank you for sharing your experience.
I have got everything crossed for him. Despite him being a good 9 possibly 10 he is in great condition and the vet has no worries about a GA other than the fact that hes a bunny! and we all know how things can be with buns.

I have a phobia of eyes which isnt helpful. Can I ask what it was like when she first lost her eye. Did it look awful as in nasty. I do think I could cope better with no eye rather than drops to put in the eye. (I really need to have a word with myself lol).

He is a free range bun with his mate Stan and I just want him to enjoy as long as we can with them as a pair

I have got everything crossed for him. Despite him being a good 9 possibly 10 he is in great condition and the vet has no worries about a GA other than the fact that hes a bunny! and we all know how things can be with buns.

I have a phobia of eyes which isnt helpful. Can I ask what it was like when she first lost her eye. Did it look awful as in nasty. I do think I could cope better with no eye rather than drops to put in the eye. (I really need to have a word with myself lol).

He is a free range bun with his mate Stan and I just want him to enjoy as long as we can with them as a pair

I have some photos of one of my Bunnies after he had to have his eye removed. I wont post them on here unless you want me to xx

I have had rabbits who have had an eye removed other than when it was an abscess, and nursed them through it. I won't go into the details but do PM me if I can help :)

I am very squeamish myself if it helps!

Oh what a day! But I still have my rabbit.

Took him this morning and the vet rang saying that she wanted to ask a rabbit savvy vet for their opinion. The lady she mentioned was already familiar to me from a previous rabbit.
They sent her x rays. Usually tooth 5 and 6 are the ones that cause trouble with roots, my Ozzie is being different and its tooth 2 that you can clearly see on xray is much longer in the jaw and basically looks like its poking the back of the eye. Tooth 1 is also involved to a lesser degree.

So bit of a funny situation, today was like a pre curser to The big Op. Not ideal but we cant afford the rabbit savvy vet but we can afford our vet with the savvy vet giving input.
Today he had x rays, and his teeth rasped.
Friday he has tooth 1 and 2 out and as difficult as it is the hope is to get some of the abcess out, they have ordered in some special antibiotics for him for Friday. His right hand side jaw looks normal thank goodness.

So the vet said the outlook was guarded but he is a 10 yr old bun and its a rabbit having an operation.
He is home and a house bun with his boyfriend for the next few days, he is eating grass and odd bits of things from the picnic i have provided. Hes got pain relief and all in all is happy and ok.
Really didnt need them to be house rabbits this week as we have just had our kitchen ripped out and are living with the microwave and a camping stove and all our kitchen contents around us but hey these things happen. My bunny boy of very little brain is home and for that I am grateful.

Oh what a day! But I still have my rabbit.

Took him this morning and the vet rang saying that she wanted to ask a rabbit savvy vet for their opinion. The lady she mentioned was already familiar to me from a previous rabbit.
They sent her x rays. Usually tooth 5 and 6 are the ones that cause trouble with roots, my Ozzie is being different and its tooth 2 that you can clearly see on xray is much longer in the jaw and basically looks like its poking the back of the eye. Tooth 1 is also involved to a lesser degree.

So bit of a funny situation, today was like a pre curser to The big Op. Not ideal but we cant afford the rabbit savvy vet but we can afford our vet with the savvy vet giving input.
Today he had x rays, and his teeth rasped.
Friday he has tooth 1 and 2 out and as difficult as it is the hope is to get some of the abcess out, they have ordered in some special antibiotics for him for Friday. His right hand side jaw looks normal thank goodness.

So the vet said the outlook was guarded but he is a 10 yr old bun and its a rabbit having an operation.
He is home and a house bun with his boyfriend for the next few days, he is eating grass and odd bits of things from the picnic i have provided. Hes got pain relief and all in all is happy and ok.
Really didnt need them to be house rabbits this week as we have just had our kitchen ripped out and are living with the microwave and a camping stove and all our kitchen contents around us but hey these things happen. My bunny boy of very little brain is home and for that I am grateful.

Bless him, I really hope that your Vet is able to successfully remove the offending teeth. At least it sounds as though Ozzie is reasonably comfortable within himself. Sending millions of vibes for him xx

Thanks Jacks Jane
They are most put out at being house rabbits, they are normally free range . He is ok this morning, wont do pellets but is happy with carrot and grass, not ideal but hes eatiing and I will go with that for now. Last night he was eating apple in thin slivers and grass and banana. I have seen him toilet and although his poo is what I would describe as tight he is pooing so I am monitoring that. Stan thinks this picnic lark is great so is also ignoring pellets! Im going to let him free range in the house when I get home this afternoon then depending how he is I might let them back out on to their patio because 2 grumpy faces is more than I can cope with lol

Thanks Jacks Jane
They are most put out at being house rabbits, they are normally free range . He is ok this morning, wont do pellets but is happy with carrot and grass, not ideal but hes eatiing and I will go with that for now. Last night he was eating apple in thin slivers and grass and banana. I have seen him toilet and although his poo is what I would describe as tight he is pooing so I am monitoring that. Stan thinks this picnic lark is great so is also ignoring pellets! Im going to let him free range in the house when I get home this afternoon then depending how he is I might let them back out on to their patio because 2 grumpy faces is more than I can cope with lol

Have you tried crushing up his pellets ? It may be painful for him to crunch on whole pellets. Or you could try soaking the pellets in boiled water to soften them. Add a bit of veg puree too as that may encourage him to eat it. That said, some Rabbits just do not like a 'mash' feed. Worth a try though xx

Thanks Jacks Jane

Aww bless him. Sometimes rabbits won't eat pellets because the crunching action of the teeth is a bit painful. I am glad to hear he is eating his grass though :)

So mashed up pellets laced with strawberry, shreeded carrot and banana is the future lol. He is eating well I am so relieved. Just hope that when hes had another GA and 2 teeth out on friday we get him eating as quick and as well. He is taking his painkiller well too

So mashed up pellets laced with strawberry, shreeded carrot and banana is the future lol. He is eating well I am so relieved. Just hope that when hes had another GA and 2 teeth out on friday we get him eating as quick and as well. He is taking his painkiller well too

So glad to hear he likes his food.

Vibes for the next step of having his teeth out

So in the end 5 teeth all at one side, top left, removal of what they could of the abcess. Front teeth were on a slope so have been straightened up. Poor lad has been in the wars. He now has more pain relief plus an antibiotic. He is on the rescue powders thing that you mix with water and syringe. So 2ml every 30 mins tonight.
Hes quite alert and is happy ish at all the syringe things that are going on.

Just hoping everything tooth wise is aligned ok and that his bottom teeth dont then cause a problem because theres not teeth above them

So in the end 5 teeth all at one side, top left, removal of what they could of the abcess. Front teeth were on a slope so have been straightened up. Poor lad has been in the wars. He now has more pain relief plus an antibiotic. He is on the rescue powders thing that you mix with water and syringe. So 2ml every 30 mins tonight.

Just hoping everything tooth wise is aligned ok and that his bottom teeth dont then cause a problem because theres not teeth above them

That's a lot of teeth to lose.

Yes the issue can be that the bottom teeth don't have anything above to grind against, but with dental rabbits their teeth sometimes don't grow as well or as fast as normal.

I hope the syringe feeding and healing goes well

Goodness, what a big op. I hope that he has done OK overnight. Sending millions more vibes for him xx

Back