• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey’s ongoing bladder issues - kidney stones

Great update and such lovely photos, his wound looks nice and neat and clean. Glad Bailey is doing so well and continues to do so xx

Thanks so much everyone but my little man has come home! :love:

Initially we agreed he was going to stay overnight but I wanted to visit him and take Bella so he had company!

When we arrived, they brought in my bright eyed boy and he looked great! (I was expecting him to be quiet) but When they placed the carrier on the table, he was busy digging at the towel. I offered him some grass and basil.. he absolutely demolished it all and couldn’t shovel it into his mouth quick enough, even the senior nurse was shocked who was talking to me. As he was busy munching, he also passed about 15-20 solid round even with a golden tinge poops!

Think both of us was in shock and after he checked with Tom the vet, we agreed he would be fine to go home! :)

Since being home, he’s done 2 nice wees, both are slightly bloody but a good amount and now having a quiet sleep in his castle.

He had his buprenorphine at 4pm, and is due his tramadol at 10.30 tonight. So I’ve got everything crossed he can have a peaceful evening!

He’s such a little trooper and although in pain, he must feel so much better now all those stones have been removed xxx

Wonderful news Ruth!

They look stunning together your two. You knew the right thing to do for Bailey :)

That's great news and presumably a weight of your mind

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks so much everyone, I can’t thank you all enough :love:

Bailey has remained to grow stronger and continue to eat like a trooper! He’s also urinating properly and doing huge pees which I wreckon he hasn’t done for almost 12 months!

It’s evident how much happier he is now and not far from being back to his cheeky self which is amazing considering it’s only been 48 hours! We have a Happy bailey and a happy mummy.. I have everything crossed this will continue and we’ll see how his post op appointment goes tomorrow xxx

Thanks so much everyone, I can’t thank you all enough :love:

Bailey has remained to grow stronger and continue to eat like a trooper! He’s also urinating properly and doing huge pees which I wreckon he hasn’t done for almost 12 months!

It’s evident how much happier he is now and not far from being back to his cheeky self which is amazing considering it’s only been 48 hours! We have a Happy bailey and a happy mummy.. I have everything crossed this will continue and we’ll see how his post op appointment goes tomorrow xxx

I am so pleased Ruth :)

Hi Nicky and mighty max,

Thanks so much for asking.. he’s doing really well bless him! :love:

He’s currently still on his metacam and tramadol as we’re slowly trying to cut down doses and wean him off. Sadly he’s been on them both for almost a month now.. so the vets would rather we gently ease him off them!

From his check up on Saturday, all good and happy with progress although he does seem to have a little fluid build up by his wound (too much running and playing now he’s feeling better I’m guessing)
The vets weren’t too concerned but we’ve got to keep an eye on it. Hopefully it’ll of gone down by this weekend when he’s back for his second check up. He’s also been placed on potassium citrate (twice daily) so we’re hoping this will help him out!

In the meantime, this was him last night and lunch time today.. busy munching!!

And we actually have normal wee;

I’m so glad he is doing so well:love: lovely photos, and you must be so relieved to see normal wee :thumb:

Aw I am so glad to hear this Ruth, and what lovely relaxed pictures of your cute little boy. And that's a proper pee now which is great to see and not spotting. He is such a brave little boy xx

Hi Nicky and mighty max,

Thanks so much for asking.. he’s doing really well bless him! :love:

He’s currently still on his metacam and tramadol as we’re slowly trying to cut down doses and wean him off. Sadly he’s been on them both for almost a month now.. so the vets would rather we gently easy se him off them!

From his check up on Saturday, all good and happy with progress although he does seem to have a little fluid build up by his wound (too much running and playing now he’s feeling better I’m guessing)
The vets weren’t too concerned but we’ve got to keep an eye on it. Hopefully it’ll of gone down by this weekend when he’s back for his second check up. He’s also been placed on potassium citrate (twice daily) so we’re hoping this will help him out!

In the meantime, this was him last night and lunch time today.. busy munching!!

And we actually have normal wee;

This is great news Ruth!

And good to see normal wee :)

How long will he be taking the potassium citrate?

Aww that's more like the Bailey we know and love! He certainly looks a look brighter which hopefully means he's feeling a lot better within himself.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much guys :love:

He’s been such a little trooper and doing amazing! Thanks scrappy and exactly, you can see in his eyes he’s happier in himself! It’s just such a relief not seeing him constantly strain and finding wee spots everywhere. He’s drinking plenty on his own and we have soaked puppy pads again! :)

Mighty max - he’s currently on it for a month and after the 4 weeks, he’ll need a blood test to monitor the amount of potassium in his body. But the vets are confident it shouldn’t affect him too much.

Providing he’s doing well on it, they’ve actually suggested he may need to be on it for life! Not sure how I feel about this or whether it’s necessary??

I might do another thread and ask who else may have used it and if so, for how long?! Have you used it before? Xxx

Last edited:
Back