• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey’s ongoing bladder issues - kidney stones

Oh that first photo just melted my heart = so glad that you had a normal wee!

Thank you so much, it’s such a relief! He was treated for months for urine infections where he’d been spotting, straining and found to have blood present. I’ve never been so obsessed with a bunny. If we’re not constantly checking his ears, or monitoring how much he drinks, we’re changing the litter trays 3 times a day to check his urine. Madness!!!!

I really do hope and pray the vets can find out the problem with Dilly and he gets better soon xxx

Thanks so much guys :love:

Mighty max - he’s currently on it for a month and after the 4 weeks, he’ll need a blood test to monitor the amount of potassium in his body. But the vets are confident it shouldn’t affect him too much.

Providing he’s doing well on it, they’ve actually suggested he may need to be on it for life! Not sure how I feel about this or whether it’s necessary??

I might do another thread and ask who else may have used it and if so, for how long?! Have you used it before? Xxx

It rings a bell with me, and I did a bit of research:

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.co...et-rabbits-proceedings?id=&sk=&date=&pageID=3
Potassium citrate may be beneficial in binding calcium in the urine and preventing precipitation; however, its efficacy in treating rabbits is anecdotal.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-citrate-kidney-stones-and-mysterious-illness
Potassium citrate attaches to calcium in the urine, preventing the formation of mineral crystals that can develop into kidney stones. It prevents the urine from becoming too acidic and has been used for many years in humans for this purpose. This helps prevent uric acid or cystine kidney stones from forming.

http://www.tokyovets.com/2017rabbituro1.pdf
Potassium citrate: Only recommended when the pH is below 7.5. Herbivores notoriously have a basic urine pH which may explain why this drug may not be effective in these species. Dog doses are 50–75 mg/kg q12h orally.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/LiquidMg/Liquid_magnesium.htm
Use of citrate based products (e.g. Polycitra®) in order to change the pH of the urine, in rabbits that suffer from chronic urinary tract infection or uroliths (bladder stones). The daily dosage in dogs is: 150 mg/kg per day. It has been used in rabbits and seems to have delayed the formation of new stones. Long-term use of this urine acidifier may be harmful to the rabbit.

Thanks so much mighty max.. really appreciated :thumb:

I am going to speak to the vets in more detail about this at the weekend, as I certainly don't him on this for life. I did ask about Magnesium, but they weren't overly keen as they haven't heard much success from it.

At the moment, I don't believe he's come across any side affects, but I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on him.

One thing I am really struggling with is his diet... :( and would really really appreciate everyone's input here..

He has 5 pellets in the morning and 5 pellets at night, which is fine.

He is also getting a handful of Basil and Corrainder in the evenings. I am finding so much conflicting information to what is low and what is high calcium for him. The vets have assured us calcium/basil and the odd bit of brocolli and parsnips are all fine for him and low calcium, but maybe this is where I'm going wrong and this is why he's been struggling so much????

I can't give him many fruits as they upset him tummy, and he won't touch celery, cucumber or peppers!!

He also gets unlimited hay which he eats tonnes off and is such a good boy xxx

Back