• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

stasis :( - u/d stasis again

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
couldn’t sleep these past few nights so I’ve been up until some ungodly time in the morning.

orion didn’t seem right but I thought he was just tired. I was wrong :(

he’s very subdued, floppy and lethargic. not interested in his herbs or anything.

I’ve offered infacol and i’ll monitor him until vets open, if he gets worse i’ll head to the emergency vets.

worrying :(

dc80bc56bd68acb213d043c43d09b785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When did he last eat? Will he eat some recovery food or pellets made into mash with boiled water and then cooled on a saucer? Or have you got any banana you can mash up to offer him, or pouch fruit or vegetable baby food ?

Is he pooping?

Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

I have no idea when he last ate :(

probably around 2am I noticed he seemed off but this could have happened before then and I don’t know how long.

no idea on pooping either as he shares a tray with luna. I’ve separated him outside of the pen for now and I’m monitoring output.

I’m mixing up some recovery food that has baby food mixed in too, just need it to cool. really need to buy some more as I’m running low.

offered some syringed water and the good thing is he does still have fight, but spat it out all over me and the floor [emoji23][emoji28] he got some though which is good as I did worry about dehydration

I listened to his tummy and I can hear *some* gurgles but there’s not very many at all, so I think his gut isn’t in a total shutdown just very slowed.

I’m waiting to see if the infacol has any affect.

probably in 15 minutes i’ll syringe feed him if he’s showed no signs of improvement.

I’m very tired but i suppose he’s gotta keep me on my toes!!

I hope he improves quickly, I’d ring the vet if you aren’t sure when he last ate/you don’t see output, and see what they suggest.

This is going to sound awful but can you get him to run? I hated doing it but when Matthew started with his regular gut issues I used to chase him around a little. The movement would stimulate his gut. I learned it on RU but I don’t remember who said it.

yea moving is def a good thing for them, it helps keep their stomach going along. I've cleaned out the two litter trays in my room (as I have him & Luna separate right now) so they're poop free to monitor output. I keep pushing him back and fourth so he keeps running between the trays.

I think we might have a little improvement as we've had some attitude!! stomping, flicking & booping me lol. he's also groomed himself a few times whereas he kept just lying down. he had water and critical care all over his mush :lol:

the biggest problem is is that my OOH vets aren't rabbit savvy and really don't have a clue :( I've called them a few times now and they've tried to brush me off or given me incorrect advice. as awful as it sounds I'm trying to hold off until my vets are open if I need it.

things only bunny parents do: pick poop out of a tray at 4:30am :?

I am wondering if he may have eaten too much grass when he went out in the garden ????

It may be a bit late to mention this now, but unless certain that an anorexic Bunny does not have a full obstruction (eg there should still be some gut sounds in all 4 quadrants of the abdomen and clear evidence of some fecal output in the preceding few hours) and/or a bloated stomach then until bunny is examined by a Vet it is best not to give syringe feeds or any form of prokinetic (gut motility meds)

Sending lots of vibes x

it was a few days ago now so I'd be unsure of having a reaction now :? that was back on tuesday & he hasn't been out since as the weather hasn't been nice enough. didn't really eat much either, just mostly explored and caused mischief. nothing they shouldn't eat either as its all safe.

I am aware but I suppose I am making the call if I feel its best to leave him alone with nothing in his stomach (which could lead to more issues) or not. he did take the critical care willingly, not fighting it like the gripe water or tap water. I suppose perhaps he feels too uncomfortable to eat for himself. he's had a little nibble out of the bowl that I left on the floor too, not much but its better than nothing.

no output still which is worrying :( I keep encouraging him to move about. I just know that the OOH vets will probably give me a load of bull as previously they've shown not to know much about rabbits which is frustrating.

he's starting to feel cold but he won't use the heatpad I am offering :? wish he understood that im trying to help!

it was a few days ago now so I'd be unsure of having a reaction now :? that was back on tuesday & he hasn't been out since as the weather hasn't been nice enough. didn't really eat much either, just mostly explored and caused mischief. nothing they shouldn't eat either as its all safe.

I am aware but I suppose I am making the call if I feel its best to leave him alone with nothing in his stomach (which could lead to more issues) or not. he did take the critical care willingly, not fighting it like the gripe water or tap water. I suppose perhaps he feels too uncomfortable to eat for himself. he's had a little nibble out of the bowl that I left on the floor too, not much but its better than nothing.

no output still which is worrying :( I keep encouraging him to move about. I just know that the OOH vets will probably give me a load of bull as previously they've shown not to know much about rabbits which is frustrating.

he's starting to feel cold but he won't use the heatpad I am offering :? wish he understood that im trying to help!

Honestly BC, I really would call the OOH Vet. The fact that he is now feeling cold indicates that he may be becoming hypothermic and this can be very serious.

http://www.vetstream.co.uk/boness/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295870.asp

If you really are sure you are not able to do this then plesae dont give him any more feeds. Pop him in a Pet carrier with a warm heat pad dont chase him about. Stress will exacerbate his poor condition.
I would then get to the front door of your usual Vet to be there the second they open up. I would not faff about with waiting to phone and make an appointment.

A Rabbit who is in full blown gut stasis and has a low body temperature is a medical emergency, not posting this to scare you, but it really is essential that he is seen by a Vet within the next couple of hours.

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Last edited:
no improvement :( will be heading to the vets.

I made a little place for us in K & I’s room. brought in the igloo with a heat pad. he’s been in there since 6am. i fell asleep at some point just loosely with a hand on him. he’s never tried to move
e56debc4942b9169994b2888804f9f12.jpg

I don’t know why but I feel horribly sick from this. I’m shaking from anxiety and I keep retching :(

thank you for your vibes also, sorry boated the above in a bit of a panic :( I feel miserable. at least I got a few hours sleep with him. he repositioned himself but never came out, he actually tried to fight me and go back into his warm igloo [emoji38] I had hoped I’d wake up and it would be a bad dream or I’d wake up with him back to normal on my chest.

it reminds me so much of snoopy and I hate it

currently waiting, they’re just gonna slot us in as there was no appointments but it’s an emergency

Back