• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fabala's Dental and Eye Journey

Back at the vets with Fabala at 2.15 for her nobivac vaccination and hopefully the results from her eye gunk sample.

Fingers crossed for her please.

No results yet. :(

But her teeth look good, her weight is stable, and she was deemed fit enough for vaccination, so that was done.

Waiting for these lab results are really stressing me out. But what will be will be, I know that.

D came out to say hi post appointment as he knew we were booked in with Z today. Always nice to see both of them.

(My brother and his cat also hitched a ride as bro prefers atmosphere of our new vets to other one. Poor Brannigan had ahem... An accident... in the car, so was taken straight out back for a wash. Poor Bran! He is in good health for a senior cat, now a good weight (was overweight) but has a very low grade heart murmur and needs a dental, but he is 13 or so, so....)

There's times when I think "yeah I'm an experienced rabbit owner" and then there's times when I realise I've barely scratched the surface.

This is the latter.

Fabala's results have come in and Z called to let me know. The test confirmed that it is Pasteurella.

So not only is Fabala a Dental Bun but a Pasteurella Bun as well. Talk about pulling the short straw!

She is booked in with Z for 3.15 today to have a conscious tear duct flush with appropriate antibiotics for her strain and we will be coming home with more meds to hopefully kick it to the kerb for now.

Which also means Yuki will NOT be pleased as he has to go too. Oh well, I can also grab the hamster a new Whimzee too as she's nearly finished her first. At least Fabala herself travels well and deals with treatment with good grace.

Conscious flush done, more gunk in her eye but not as bad as last time. :)

We've got Tiacil eye drops, with the weirdest dispenser both me and the vet have seen. One drop three times a day, starting this evening. Sulfatrim orally twice a day. Follow up appointment in 2 weeks, on a very busy day.

We might run out of Tiacil, might have to return to get some more but hopefully not.

Conscious flush done, more gunk in her eye but not as bad as last time. :)

We've got Tiacil eye drops, with the weirdest dispenser both me and the vet have seen. One drop three times a day, starting this evening. Sulfatrim orally twice a day. Follow up appointment in 2 weeks, on a very busy day.

We might run out of Tiacil, might have to return to get some more but hopefully not.

Glad their was less gunk this time, does this mean it's an improvement? :)

I hope she does okay with medication, always easier when it's not a complete fight isn't it? [emoji38]

Glad their was less gunk this time, does this mean it's an improvement? :)

I hope she does okay with medication, always easier when it's not a complete fight isn't it? [emoji38]

Thanks! I think it was remaining more 'stable' than improvement, which is also a good thing.

As we have lab results now, we have the right stuff for the specific strain which is a good thing.

Fabala isn't bad at having treatment. Probably because she gets treats afterwards. (Either Fibafirst or Oxbow Digestive Support.) She'll fight a little but not excessively. At least the abx is not the dreaded baytril!

I didn't say earlier but apparently my vet found out that the results were in because I posted about my idiot self calling too early on FB and she organised the time to ring on there!

Fabala's eye crusted shut overnight. I'm so upset for her. This is meant to be making her better not worse. :cry:

Calling the vets as soon as they open.

I’ve missed the last few updates, I do hope that the treatment helps improve soon xx

We got to see Z again this afternoon.

Fabala had yet another eye flush. Z has never seen such a reaction to Tiacil before. It was horrible. We have to continue her abx to the same date as before. We also have an eye drop for the inflammation and another abx eye drop to go for 8 weeks. After that we will reassess.

It's possible that her eye will never truly be cleared and thus she might require occasional intervention for life.

We got to see Z again this afternoon.

Fabala had yet another eye flush. Z has never seen such a reaction to Tiacil before. It was horrible. We have to continue her abx to the same date as before. We also have an eye drop for the inflammation and another abx eye drop to go for 8 weeks. After that we will reassess.

It's possible that her eye will never truly be cleared and thus she might require occasional intervention for life.
Poor baby :( she's lucky she has you though xx

Fabala is over producing caecotrophs again. It's a reoccurring problem that randomly comes and goes. I knew this when we adopted her, and know that she has had a battery of tests to find out why thanks to Jill at Honeybunnies. I do notice on days when it happens she is a bit quieter and keeps herself to herself. (Though Yuki is laying nose to nose with her right now.) Poor girl.

Plus side? Her eye looks good atm. :)

I’m glad her eye is looking better :love: fingers crossed her excess caecotrophes stop soon

Back