• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fabala's Dental and Eye Journey

Sending lots of vibes. I hope things settle down with your groups and that any bonding you attempt goes well.

Thank you Zoobec. I still feel so guilty. :cry:

It has mostly been Obie starting it, yes. There have been occasions where Fabala has started it/egged her on, so to speak, but mostly it has been Odessa I think. Obie's so shy and timid with people, and we had believed her to be submissive, but I guess not? The prep work for bonding to Athena's group has been done, but I'm wiped out now, have been since lunchtime. Bonding will have to start tomorrow.

Fabala's been in pretty good spirits today, and Yuki is never far from her side now. We'll have gone from a group of 6 indoors to just a pair since Christmas. :shock:

Hugs x

vibes for your bondings. I hope you can regain some energy and motivation x

Thanks everyone. This is the second ear I suspect Obie has got (Enfys was first.)

Fabala is such a good girl. She's getting metacam for the ear (I still had some from Elphie). She loves it. She dislikes the eye drops and likes the antibiotic even less. However, she is so special and so forgiving. As soon as she's had her treats (oxbow supplement), she's back to her loving self and will lick me all over my face.

Her ear is clean and scabbed over nicely. Her eye looks better than before. Her teeth... well. Z said she's reluctant to touch one side because of how progressed the dental disease is. The other side has had the spurs ground back. Regardless, she bounced back from the op itself well so hopefully future dentals shan't be a problem for now. And she'll have Yuki Doodle (who charmed Z) by her side.

We see D instead tomorrow, for a vaccination (Morning's), a look over for Uraya hammie, and Bala's post-op check.

Don’t feel guilty, although I know it’s easy for me to say of course. So do you think if you remove Obi from the group that Odessa will settle with Fabala then, is that your thinking?

I think Odessa and Fabala reached the point of no return for a bond sadly. :( Fabala and Yuki are loafed right next to each other, there's been some tooth-purring and they are super relaxed. Both love people and each other, so in terms of personality are the perfect house-rabbits. Obie suddenly becoming rebellious was just too overbearing for them.

Odessa is now being bonded to Athena, Rivergrace, and Neonara. It's a group of much bigger, stronger, opinionated personalities so hopefully they will keep Odessa in line. There was a bit of squabbling to start, and humping from Neo and Athena. Now River and Athena are tending to show divaish qualities when they want a top up of hay. I have everything crossed that they'll accept her. It's a little earlier than I'd like to move an indoor rabbit out, but the weather appears to be fairly mild and pretty much everyone is moulting, poor things!

I’m glad Fabala’s ear is healing nicely, fingers crossed for the bonding, are you bonding both Odessa and Obie with Athena, Rivergrace, and Neonara then? It must be a nightmare to have to deal with :cry:

I’m glad Fabala’s ear is healing nicely, fingers crossed for the bonding, are you bonding both Odessa and Obie with Athena, Rivergrace, and Neonara then? It must be a nightmare to have to deal with :cry:

Oh it's not so bad - Obie is Odessa's nickname. :lol: (Her full name is Odessa Briar and it came from her initials.) (Un)fortunately I haven't secreted another rabbit into the group whilst bonding.

Bonding seems to be going very well. Athena is, as usual, the chief rabbit of the group. Neo loves his latest lady and has been grooming her. Athena likes her too, and she is the key rabbit to win over. They tried to do the feeding typhoon in the small bonding crate. Generally after the first hour it has all been calm. Tomorrow hopefully bigger crate before moving outside.

Oh it's not so bad - Obie is Odessa's nickname. :lol: (Her full name is Odessa Briar and it came from her initials.) (Un)fortunately I haven't secreted another rabbit into the group whilst bonding.

Bonding seems to be going very well. Athena is, as usual, the chief rabbit of the group. Neo loves his latest lady and has been grooming her. Athena likes her too, and she is the key rabbit to win over. They tried to do the feeding typhoon in the small bonding crate. Generally after the first hour it has all been calm. Tomorrow hopefully bigger crate before moving outside.

Oh, sorry! That explains everything;) I was very confused about what was happening and why :oops::lol:

Fingers crossed for the bonding to continue going well :love:

Oh, sorry! That explains everything;) I was very confused about what was happening and why :oops::lol:

Fingers crossed for the bonding to continue going well :love:

All my rabbits have weird nicknames. Some weirder than others. Niji actually thinks his name is Potato now. :lol:

Bonding bunnies in a bigger crate. Neo had a brief humping session. Athena has brought out the big DBFs to show off now.

Bala Boo and Yuki remain relaxed. Leaving for the vets in an hour. 'Only' taking 5 rabbits and a hamster today. :lol:

Vets and everyone is good. Fabala's ear is healing well, her eye looks good, and appetite is great.

Bonding is also going well so far. Might even move them outside tomorrow...

Fabala's ok. Yuki hates the vet and was terrified whilst there. :( Nurse even commented on it whilst they were out back. He's mostly back to normal now though.

Fabala only wanted to be in my arms during D's consultation with her. Thankfully her weight has remained completely stable. :) D spoke to Z about her. They performed a quick flush whilst conscious and she was her usual good girl. Z told D the fluid from the eye was much less gunky, actually clear this time. So, she's back on a course of eye drops (Clorogen this time) in the hopes of finally kicking it to the kerb. If that doesn't work, the initial sample (which they've still got) will be sent for testing.

Fabala has responded well to the new eye drops. She is back to her normal self, loving attention, food, being more energetic. Eye is looking much clearer too.

I'm feeling relief at the moment.

I realised yesterday vet D didn't tell me how long a course of clorogen to give Fabala. :oops:

Thankfully today we were back at the vets anyway. (Neo, Filavac vaccination, he's in good health and chewed my coat the little monkey!) We're to continue til Monday, which is fine by me. Less so for Fabala, but she gets treats and cuddles so....

She's back at the vets 2 weeks today for her Nobivac vaccination. And hopefully not before then. :roll:

We're booked in for 5.15pm with Z.

Could've had an earlier appointment but wanted to see one of the 2 vets who have been working the case rather than bring in a 3rd.

Oh Fabala...

Z flushed her eye again and it was a lot gunkier than 2 weeks ago, with D. Z actually assisted him then so knew first-hand the difference. Which confirms really exactly why I wanted to see her instead of a new-to-me vet. The practice we go to now is exotics focussed so seeing a new vet wouldn't be a stab in the dark like it was at the more local place, where we first met D and Z.

Anyway, back to Bala... She is back on the drops she was on before for now. The sample taken during the initial flush is now being sent off for testing. When we get the results, we'll know where to go next.

The other thing it could possibly be is sinuses. Which will require more surgery. It may also mean she requires some form of eye drops for the rest of her life.

I now realise just how lucky I was with many of my previous lops, especially as Bala has scored 3 times on the lop bingo of problems - she's short sighted, she's a dental rabbit, and eye problems too. Thank goodness she's such an affectionate, friendly, and loving soul. It makes her dealing with issues so much easier.

Yet again, Yuki was the most nervous, however... :roll:

Back