• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive behaviour..... help!

moi

Mama Doe
So Bunny and Benji have been together 6 years. Benji is 7, Bunny is at least 11. I want Bunny to enjoy hes older years but Benji is starting to pick on him. Not all the time but hes very possessive with food. When I scatter it he will keep nudging Bunny out the way to get the bits he is going for. So I put down 2 piles separately. Benji will guzzle his down and then chase Bunny away and eat his. So I've taken to letting Bunny eat on his own while keeping Benji out the way while he does. Also theres been a few times I've come down in the morning to Bunny's fur being in clumps on the floor. None of Benjis. Then other times they are snuggled together. I'm worried.... Bunny is slowing down in his old age and I'm worried Benji will hurt him as hes not quick to defend himself x

Yesterday I heard a commotion in the outhouse. Went out there and Benji had Bunny cornered in the litter tray. Just sitting there staring at him but not letting him move xx

I have no solutions but I noticed my buns became more aggressive towards each other as they got older.

It's possibly because Benji detects weakness in Bunny and is taking advantage. Personally I would separate them but keep them close to one another.

Has Bunny had a health check recently? it could just be that Benji is sensing a general slowing down in Bunny but I'd want to rule out any underlying health problems too.

I think you're doing the right thing by splitting them to eat. It's your call really on what to do about permanent living arrangements - for me it would depend on how often the fur pulling is happening & how severe vs how often they're snuggled up. If you can think of a way to split them so that they can still sit together but with a mesh divide, say, that might be a good compromise.

Thanks peeps. Bunny has had his yearly check recently.Apart from a little bit of weight loss all seems well. I'm presuming the weight loss is due to benji gulping his food then bunny's as hes gained weight! I feel so sad though... if I separate then bunny will live out his last months without snuggles:( but if I keep them together will it get worse? My brain hurts x

Gonna have to seperate them. I got in from work about 9. All was good. I seperated them during food time and made sure bunny was finished before putting them back together. It's nearly midnight.... just gone to top up the hay. And bits of Bunnys fur are scattered around the floor. I'm so upset x

Oh I'm sorry to hear this. :( It must be upsetting but it sounds like it would be for the best. X

Back