• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sister’s Bun

ickledoodaa

New Kit
I was looking after my sisters rabbit, Pinot, this weekend whilst she was in Germany. Pinot was absolutely fine yesterday. Then this morning she didn’t want her breakfast which is not like her at all so I felt her tummy and it was a bit bloated. Took her to the vets and they gave her some injections and some food for me to give her so I took her home. A bit later I managed to get some of the food in her then about half an hour after that she just died. Just like that. I rushed her back to the vet but of course I knew it was too late. I called my sister and we’ve been on the phone crying and I know it’s not my fault but I can’t shift the guilt. What if I did something wrong?? Why did she have to go whilst my sister was away?? I feel awful. There’s not much point to my post. I just feel terrible and needed to vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking after my sisters rabbit, Pinot, this weekend whilst she was in Germany. Pinot was absolutely fine yesterday. Then this morning she didn’t want her breakfast which is not like her at all so I felt her tummy and it was a bit bloated. Took her to the vets and they gave her some injections and some food for me to give her so I took her home. A bit later I managed to get some of the food in her then about half an hour after that she just died. Just like that. I rushed her back to the vet but of course I knew it was too late. I called my sister and we’ve been on the phone crying and I know it’s not my fault but I can’t shift the guilt. What if I did something wrong?? Why did she have to go whilst my sister was away?? I feel awful. There’s not much point to my post. I just feel terrible and needed to vent.

I can only imagine how awful it must feel, but please try not to blame yourself. Sounds like you did everything you could.
Rabbits are so delicate and sometimes, despite our best efforts, we can't make them better :(

I am really sorry to hear this :(

You did all you could. The vet even felt she was well enough to come home for you to nurse her, so it must have been something totally unexpected. Rabbits often have stuff going on 'behind the scenes' that we never find out about.

Really sad x Hugs x

How tragic, I am very sorry. You obviously did all you could and you made sure that Pinot was seen by a Vet. I can totally empathise with your feelings though, I am sure most of us would feel the same in your situation

RIP Pinot :cry:

So sorry to hear this, it must have been an awful shock. You did your best for her xx binky free Pinot xxx

I'm so sorry, what an awful thing to happen. :cry:

As others have said, rabbits are fragile little things who very often don't show any visible symptoms that something is wrong. I recently lost one of my buns in similar circumstances. He was happily hopping about and stuffing his face with food in the evening and in the morning he was gone. Just like that. :cry:

Thank you for all your kind words. I just feel sad that my sister wasn’t here and delivering the sad news was sad. This is the first time I’ve posted here but it’s lovely knowing such a supportive network is out there.
Thank you xxx

I’m so sorry:cry: you did everything you could for him, sometimes they can’t be saved, sadly:cry: thinking of you and your sister xx

Binky free little one xx

Back