• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny coughing after drinking water

Checking in to see how things are now with your little one?

Hey, thanks for checking in!:wave: Well he started to drink on his own again, but he still coughs/chokes every so often as he probably drinks too much too fast. Overall health-wise, he has had good and bad days since I last posed. On some-days you can barley hear him breathe and he's quite active and eats his medicine like he should, today, for example, was one of the bad days as he was very passive, "spit" some of his medicine out and a little while ago I found him breathing with his mouth heavily which he hasn't done in quite some time. I'm off to bed now and I hope he feels better in the morning.

Last edited:
Hey, checking in just to let everyone know our little Zajči has passed away.:cry: His condition worsened since I last posted, he stopped eating by himself, started refusing water ( he used his nose to bump my syringe with away ) and today he had three attacks where he couldn't breathe and jumped around uncontrollably bumping into furniture. So we decided together with our vet that the best course is to put him to sleep, so he doesn't suffocate during the night. They were surprised he lasted another 33 days since his diagnosis, as I said before they though he'd last less 14 days. I guess we were such good company he decided to stick around a little longer.

I wanna thank everyone for their advice & warm wishes given in this thread!

I wish all your little ones much health and many happy memories ;)

Hey, checking in just to let everyone know our little Zajči has passed away.:cry: His condition worsened since I last posted, he stopped eating by himself, started refusing water ( he used his nose to bump my syringe with away ) and today he had three attacks where he couldn't breathe and jumped around uncontrollably bumping into furniture. So we decided together with our vet that the best course is to put him to sleep, so he doesn't suffocate during the night. They were surprised he lasted another 33 days since his diagnosis, as I said before they though he'd last less 14 days. I guess we were such good company he decided to stick around a little longer.

I am so very sorry to read this :(

Run free little bun, and hugs for you x

:cry:

RIP Zajči

C62Pw2y.jpg

Back