• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free roaming multi rabbit households - questions

I've no experience of the situations you have asked about, but then I've no experience of having rabbits inside the house either.

I think I would be nervous about leaving doors open and the two groups meeting, but then I guess that's not much different than having to be careful about not leaving external doors open and rabbits escaping. I think I would get frustrated in the Summer when we leave all of our internal doors open here and a lot of the time also the external doors, but the latter issue you have anyway. Having different groups inside does seem to work for lots of people on here.

I'm sorry that you are in this situation. If it were me, I know I would have lots of options zooming round in my head. I think we've discussed before, but I couldn't send my rabbits away to be bonded as I am too much of a control freak.

I'm not a control freak at all, and I wouldn't hesitate to send my bunnies out for bonding. I've not needed to yet, but with a trusty person such as Grace had, I would pack them off :D

I'm not a control freak at all, and I wouldn't hesitate to send my bunnies out for bonding. I've not needed to yet, but with a trusty person such as Grace had, I would pack them off :D
Oh yea don't get me wrong, I wouldn't send them to just anyone [emoji38] lots and lots of conversations and discussions about the buns and I sent them with a bale of Timothyhay.co.uk hay and food and treats... [emoji38][emoji38] I asked a million question about megacolon, and if she understood about Clementine (I was worried the running around or w.e when bonding would hurt her knees or she'd slip, so they lady bonded them on vetbeds with loads of hay etc and made sure [emoji38] she really is great I'm so glad I found her, wouldn't hesitate to use her again, however there were 4 others who I decided not to go with.. [emoji38] Also she didn't mind whats apping a few times a day about how they were doing (yes I'm that crazy) I also didn't sleep well for days...[emoji38] I knew she'd call me straight away too if anything was to happen, and I'd have been there :)

Will definitely use her for holiday boarding in the future too :)

Seee I'm a massive control freak, but I just could bond Atticus and Clementine [emoji38] I was terrified [emoji38] and after Clementine got bitten by him... I was just like yep this is beyond me [emoji38] I missed them terribly but was worth it for me, I'd wanna send all 4 to the same lady too hopefully [emoji38] she's used to bonding large groups etc was so worried though with Atticus and his mega colon and Clementine and her knees [emoji38]

She sounds wonderful. I could almost trust someone like that. Someone who would make special arrangements for their multitude of special needs.

What I don't get about bunny bonders is how they can supervise 24/7 & do other stuff - do they start with dates?

Thanks Graicee - this is what I need

She sounds wonderful. I could almost trust someone like that. Someone who would make special arrangements for their multitude of special needs.

What I don't get about bunny bonders is how they can supervise 24/7 & do other stuff - do they start with dates?

Thanks Graicee - this is what I need
Oh yea she is! She spent first 24 hours on the sofa next to them, but said she would have spent longer if she'd been worried :) also she said her dog gets upset when buns circle so she knows if she's out the room [emoji38]

Thing is, someone like that is the only person I'd be willing to trust, also spoke a lot about how she cleans enclosures and what she uses etc.

If I hadn't found her Idk what I'd have done honestly!

Maybe you could enquire locally for bonders? Don't actually have to go through with it, but you may find someone where it feels right :) anyone worth anything will let you ask a million questions, and show they really understand, and are willing to accommodate your individual bunnies quirks. Just a thought, it may not work out but might be worth discussing with people.

My vet gave me a name of a lady that is happy to give advice on how to bond yourself too over the phone, Idk how exactly that works.. but I'm sure you'd know all that stuff anyway, I decided I was too chicken for that [emoji38]

Oh about the dates bit, no she said she wanted them nowhere near each other and brought separate, and she would introduce them in her living room in this crate thing :) then she just sits with them for as long as it takes, if she things it's not going to work she said she knows within the first 24 hours.. Then I'd have picked them up and we'd have tried again etc.

She said she's bonded groups of 12 before I think

Yes I'm kee[ping mine apart for now hoping they'll forget & hoping maybe we can start afresh. Still really don't know whats to do for the best . I think maybe I will make enquiries. I guess J,B&M would travel together & rude boy alone.

Yes I'm kee[ping mine apart for now hoping they'll forget & hoping maybe we can start afresh. Still really don't know whats to do for the best . I think maybe I will make enquiries. I guess J,B&M would travel together & rude boy alone.
Yea I mean you don't have to, but you may find someone good :)

Or maybe you could bond at someone else's house? Idk if this is possible.. But the new environment and completely new smells I think helps, even though I tried in a room they'd never been in, it must still smell like home? Idk

Oh about the dates bit, no she said she wanted them nowhere near each other and brought separate, and she would introduce them in her living room in this crate thing :) then she just sits with them for as long as it takes, if she things it's not going to work she said she knows within the first 24 hours.. Then I'd have picked them up and we'd have tried again etc.

She said she's bonded groups of 12 before I think

Exactly what I do. Where there aren't any pre-existing bonds I put each rabbits into a separate room in the house until 'the day'. Then it's completely neutral and I sleep with them also.

Your lady sounds brill :D

I had two pairs in two separate rooms and then they would free range on the landing in between alternatively. It did work, they pooped on the landing a LOT! And I had to make sure they couldn’t see each other or I found one pair in particular would experience referred aggression.

I had two pairs in two separate rooms and then they would free range on the landing in between alternatively. It did work, they pooped on the landing a LOT! And I had to make sure they couldn’t see each other or I found one pair in particular would experience referred aggression.

my landing :lol: thanks Elena .

I currently have a pair and a single bun, all free-roaming in different parts with a pet gate to keep them apart. The gate works well; they can all see each other and often lie together on the floor on separate sides of the gate.

I’d love for them to live as a trio, but Teddy Bun won’t have it. He’s incredibly dominant and won’t accept that other bunnies (and humans!) sometimes need to eat or pee. Grooming should be *constant* :D

I have my two next door to one another, that has now caused a huge issue as Susan thinks the mutual space in front of both houses is hers - she even goes for the cat now, stamping and tail up. I wish I had not put them in the same room. They are let out alternatly or Dilly is confined to the dining room, leanto and kitchen and Susan is in the lounge and porch.

Mine is a house of babygates with added mesh :D Jasmine and Harvey (bonded) are in one bedroom and Alfie in another. They have access to the landing and my room at alternating times and sulk if I'm late swopping them. It's poop city up there some days.When Alfie first came I had to have additional barriers set up or they would fight through the mesh. It was a year before I could take it away. I'm hoping one day to bond them all together.
Downstairs Belle is in the lounge and Tilly in the kitchen diner as, although originally bonded in a trio with Munch, they had a big fall out when he got really poorly. He was the glue that kept them together. I'm hoping that maybe another male being introduced may resolve this but we'll see.
It's a pain having gates and barriers everywhere so I try to look at it like my daily exercise :lol:

I currently have a pair and a single bun, all free-roaming in different parts with a pet gate to keep them apart. The gate works well; they can all see each other and often lie together on the floor on separate sides of the gate.

I’d love for them to live as a trio, but Teddy Bun won’t have it. He’s incredibly dominant and won’t accept that other bunnies (and humans!) sometimes need to eat or pee. Grooming should be *constant* :D

thats sweet that they have kind of contact at each side of the gate. I take it Teddy is the lone bun?

Mine is a house of babygates with added mesh :D Jasmine and Harvey (bonded) are in one bedroom and Alfie in another. They have access to the landing and my room at alternating times and sulk if I'm late swopping them. It's poop city up there some days.When Alfie first came I had to have additional barriers set up or they would fight through the mesh. It was a year before I could take it away. I'm hoping one day to bond them all together.
Downstairs Belle is in the lounge and Tilly in the kitchen diner as, although originally bonded in a trio with Munch, they had a big fall out when he got really poorly. He was the glue that kept them together. I'm hoping that maybe another male being introduced may resolve this but we'll see.
It's a pain having gates and barriers everywhere so I try to look at it like my daily exercise :lol:

Interesting. Thanks for your reply. Wherabouts in Lancashire are you - we could play bonding swapsies ;)

Exercise routine:lol:. I'm gonna have to get a baby gate so Boo can at least have all of downstairs - she is used to going where she likes but I dont want her scratting at Rudeys door & giving him home of imminent friends :(

C&D - so sorry to hear Susan has gor territorial about her (& Dillys) patch. Must be stressful. do you have a plan?

I admire you greatly, bunslave.
What an obstacle course!

I sometimes put a barrier to stop the buns running straight into the garden, and the number of times I have fallen over it.
And not just me!

Ha :lol: this is us! We have got two buns in one bedroom with a baby gate and two in the next with a baby gate! They don't have access to the landing though, so can't see each other. Then we've got two gates at either end of the kitchen for the dogs!

We've got so fed up of opening and closing them that we often climb over, but we'll probably all end up with bad hips or something! x

thanks the three B's. We would deffo be climbers rather than gate openers.

I think I'll invest in a baby gate sooner rather than later to Boo can roam all of downstairs at least.

I have a question - do the gates need adapting (I'm thinking bar spacing). Any tips for a good budget buy?

Back