• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free roaming multi rabbit households - questions

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have (or had)experience of free- ranging different pairs / groups of rabbits that each live in their separate rooms / areas?
If so would you be so kind as to share your experiences.

Do your different rabbit 'sets' ever meet & if so what happens? Do you have to be vigilant with doors etc? Has anyone ever had a rabbit that is friends with more than one of the groups / pairs?

Does anyone have (or had)experience of free- ranging different pairs / groups of rabbits that each live in their separate rooms / areas?

Do your different rabbit 'sets' ever meet & if so what happens? Do you have to be vigilant with doors etc? Has anyone ever had a rabbit that is friends with more than one of the groups / pairs?
I mean not long term.. But kinda atm, we have to be so careful about doors [emoji849] I really don't like it!

Yes, yes and yes :D

Did you get my PM btw?

Have you ever left a door open?
Yes [emoji38] Apricot came running in, Atticus and Clementine didn't seem to notice... Then Clementine stood up weird... Like she stood like a dog... Her legs were all straight (this probably makes no sense) and then I noticed and ran at Apricot who lucky isn't spooked easily and I scooped her up and shut the door [emoji38] they seem to coexist nicely.. But the velvets don't like it when the white buns enter their space... The white buns don't seem to care at all.. About anything.. They're seriously chilled out rabbits, who just love everything and everyone..

When we move into the house I really want to bond them all together (I'd send them to the bonding lady, no way I'd attempt it, I'm a huge chicken) I'm worried about Atticus and Clementine tbh, they're very highly strung buns and very sensitive.. Also they can be so aggressive! Also concerned I'd ruin the two pairs bonds with each other tbh. But that's a worry for the future [emoji38]

I love having the white buns inside, but also can't wait for them to be back outside again.. [emoji38]

Yes [emoji38] Apricot came running in, Atticus and Clementine didn't seem to notice... Then Clementine stood up weird... Like she stood like a dog... Her legs were all straight (this probably makes no sense) and then I noticed and ran at Apricot who lucky isn't spooked easily and I scooped her up and shut the door [emoji38] they seem to coexist nicely.. But the velvets don't like it when the white buns enter their space... The white buns don't seem to care at all.. About anything.. They're seriously chilled out rabbits, who just love everything and everyone..

When we move into the house I really want to bond them all together (I'd send them to the bonding lady, no way I'd attempt it, I'm a huge chicken) I'm worried about Atticus and Clementine tbh, they're very highly strung buns and very sensitive.. Also they can be so aggressive! Also concerned I'd ruin the two pairs bonds with each other tbh. But that's a worry for the future [emoji38]

I love having the white buns inside, but also can't wait for them to be back outside again.. [emoji38]

thanks - thats interesting. white bunnies are fab characters aren't they. Nothing phases Boo . Your 2 different pairs sound as different in character as they look. You moving them back out around Easter?

thanks - thats interesting. white bunnies are fab characters aren't they. Nothing phases Boo . Your 2 different pairs sound as different in character as they look. You moving them back out around Easter?

Yea Penelope is a bit more skittish with being picked up... And fast movements in front of her face.. Idk how good her eye sight is.. But she recovers quickly and is quick to trust now, she'll climb all over me. Apricot is just fearless [emoji38] but sweet, she's not pushy, I'd say Penelope is in charge, Apricot just goes with the flow, she's cheeky but very gentle [emoji38] yea the velvets are a whole different thing, Atticus is really intelligent too, he puts the other three to shame [emoji38]

Idk, hutch guy hasn't emailed me back, been very unimpressed with garden woodcraft tbh, as soon as I can get a dry hutch sorted and re attach the run, yea, but obviously because I brought them in when it was freezing, and inside is warm, they've moulted etc, so I won't put them out til it's warmer anyway :)

Does this mean you're thinking of keeping Joey, Boo and Mouse as a trio and getting Rudey a separate wife bun for himself?

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

It doesn't really mean anything. My head bounces between all scenarios really ...and there are a lot of scenarios
Lots of unexpected bunny expenses recently so it'd be irresponsible to take on another bun yet. Its prob plan D or E or something.
WWYD?

It doesn't really mean anything. My head bounces between all scenarios really ...and there are a lot of scenarios
Lots of unexpected bunny expenses recently so it'd be irresponsible to take on another bun yet. Its prob plan D or E or something.
WWYD?
Would you consider sending them all off to a bonder? Or have you ruled out them as a quad?

Would you consider sending them all off to a bonder? Or have you ruled out them as a quad?

I know this is quite a sensible option in theory. However I cannot bear to send my Mouse off in to a vulnerable situation where I can't be there to protect her. I'm probably underestimating her. TBH the idea of letting any of them out of my sight for something as scary as bonding gives me the willies. Joey & Rudy had their fight in front of OH whilst I was removing the girls to a room of safety (owing to explosive atmostphere). I don't know if the boys are doable. I think I could bond him to Boo (prob not easiest bond but doable) but I can't split up my trio. My last question was cos I was daydreaming about a world where Boo was bonded to J&M and to Rudey. There is nothing I've ruled out yet

Maybe I'll stick them all in the back yard in a month or 2 with a hose at the ready

I know this is quite a sensible option in theory. However I cannot bear to send my Mouse off in to a vulnerable situation where I can't be there to protect her. I'm probably underestimating her. TBH the idea of letting any of them out of my sight for something as scary as bonding gives me the willies. Joey & Rudy had their fight in front of OH whilst I was removing the girls to a room of safety (owing to explosive atmostphere). I don't know if the boys are doable. I think I could bond him to Boo (prob not easiest bond but doable) but I can't split up my trio. My last question was cos I was daydreaming about a world where Boo was bonded to J&M and to Rudey. There is nothing I've ruled out yet

Maybe I'll stick them all in the back yard in a month or 2 with a hose at the ready

I'm sure you'll get there. You persisted with the trio and it worked!

I bonded my random four bunnies together and if I can do it, I'm pretty sure anyone else can :D

I'm sure you'll get there. You persisted with the trio and it worked!

I bonded my random four bunnies together and if I can do it, I'm pretty sure anyone else can :D

thank you for the vote of conidence but it is in no way warranted. I think it will be hard to get myself in a zen place for bonding & then maintain it.

Trio bonding only had one difficulty really & that was Boo on /off chasing Mouse but that was remedied in big space as mouse runs faster & has better eyesight (with me to supervise & make sure Boo didn't catch up). at least joe and mouse paired up instantly

thank you for the vote of conidence but it is in no way warranted. I think it will be hard to get myself in a zen place for bonding & then maintain it.

Trio bonding only had one difficulty really & that was Boo on /off chasing Mouse but that was remedied in big space as mouse runs faster & has better eyesight (with me to supervise & make sure Boo didn't catch up). at least joe and mouse paired up instantly

Zen is overrated. It's more about luck and personalities.

I've no experience of the situations you have asked about, but then I've no experience of having rabbits inside the house either.

I think I would be nervous about leaving doors open and the two groups meeting, but then I guess that's not much different than having to be careful about not leaving external doors open and rabbits escaping. I think I would get frustrated in the Summer when we leave all of our internal doors open here and a lot of the time also the external doors, but the latter issue you have anyway. Having different groups inside does seem to work for lots of people on here.

I'm sorry that you are in this situation. If it were me, I know I would have lots of options zooming round in my head. I think we've discussed before, but I couldn't send my rabbits away to be bonded as I am too much of a control freak.

I've no experience of the situations you have asked about, but then I've no experience of having rabbits inside the house either.

I think I would be nervous about leaving doors open and the two groups meeting, but then I guess that's not much different than having to be careful about not leaving external doors open and rabbits escaping. I think I would get frustrated in the Summer when we leave all of our internal doors open here and a lot of the time also the external doors, but the latter issue you have anyway. Having different groups inside does seem to work for lots of people on here.

I'm sorry that you are in this situation. If it were me, I know I would have lots of options zooming round in my head. I think we've discussed before, but I couldn't send my rabbits away to be bonded as I am too much of a control freak.

Noooo, we just care too much, not controlly at all . Keeping door closed is a pain especially since we don't have handles on the relevant doors & I too like to have door open as a rule. Boo is the most risky for passing through unauthorised borders.

Seee I'm a massive control freak, but I just could bond Atticus and Clementine [emoji38] I was terrified [emoji38] and after Clementine got bitten by him... I was just like yep this is beyond me [emoji38] I missed them terribly but was worth it for me, I'd wanna send all 4 to the same lady too hopefully [emoji38] she's used to bonding large groups etc was so worried though with Atticus and his mega colon and Clementine and her knees [emoji38]

Back