• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding without neutral territory?

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Hello everyone, I'm after some advice please.

My lovely old man, Fred, died a couple of weeks ago at the grand old age of 11. His bonded partner Freda is about 8 (unsure because she was a stray) and I have another single bunny, Heidi, who is also about 8. She's been on her own for a while and I'd love for them to be friends. They're both spayed.

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere that I can use as 'neutral'. They are in two rooms next to each other and have been for ages, and both free range up to the gate / barrier, where they can see each other from a distance but not reach each other.

They're both strong, independent women and I'm not sure whether they'll get along, particularly if they're defending their respective territories. Freda was used to dominating Fred but she is much smaller than Heidi, who is also a dominant type, and who has some food-related protectiveness issues (growling).

I'm wondering about putting them in cages next to each other for an hour or so a day so they can sniff at each other more closely and get used to each other, and also about swapping their litter trays around. Is there anything else I could do?

Thanks for any ideas!

Awww :( Sweet Dreams lil old Fred. I would be so proud if I got a bunny to 11 years. I hope you can find a way for your two girls to be together x

Hello everyone, I'm after some advice please.

My lovely old man, Fred, died a couple of weeks ago at the grand old age of 11. His bonded partner Freda is about 8 (unsure because she was a stray) and I have another single bunny, Heidi, who is also about 8. She's been on her own for a while and I'd love for them to be friends. They're both spayed.

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere that I can use as 'neutral'. They are in two rooms next to each other and have been for ages, and both free range up to the gate / barrier, where they can see each other from a distance but not reach each other.

They're both strong, independent women and I'm not sure whether they'll get along, particularly if they're defending their respective territories. Freda was used to dominating Fred but she is much smaller than Heidi, who is also a dominant type, and who has some food-related protectiveness issues (growling).

I'm wondering about putting them in cages next to each other for an hour or so a day so they can sniff at each other more closely and get used to each other, and also about swapping their litter trays around. Is there anything else I could do?

Thanks for any ideas!

I am so sorry for your loss of Fred :( What a great age he reached under your care.

Two strong independent women may well be a challenge, but I don't know your experience of bonding so far? If you aren't confident I would give them to someone to bond on neutral territory if there's nowhere in your home - what about kitchen or bathroom?

I personally don't do the cages side by side bit, I just throw them in together when I start the bonding so perhaps I'm not much help to you really :)

Oooh, sending them away to be bonded somewhere might be the answer; my flat is just not big enough and after my last experience of trying to bond (a long time ago now but I’m still scarred) I’m not at all confident!

Does anyone know of anywhere near Sheffield that will do it for you?

Oooh, sending them away to be bonded somewhere might be the answer; my flat is just not big enough and after my last experience of trying to bond (a long time ago now but I’m still scarred) I’m not at all confident!

Does anyone know of anywhere near Sheffield that will do it for you?

I don't I'm afraid, but start by contacting rescue centres, as they may bond for you, for a small fee.
Also, put another thread up here asking for bonders in your area - in the section 'behaviour and bonding' as you did this one.

Good luck!

Maybe, maybe not.

Positive experience: I had our male rabbit (Charlie) successfully bonded to a female (Willow) on what was originally her territory, but it took five months. It was a long process of keeping them side by side and getting her to gradually get used to and accept him. It was a hard long struggle but eventually they bonded and have been living together ever since.

Negative experience: I have a second male rabbit (Harvey) living side by side with Willow and Charlie and despite my best efforts they are still hostile to him.

Maybe, maybe not.

Positive experience: I had our male rabbit (Charlie) successfully bonded to a female (Willow) on what was originally her territory, but it took five months. It was a long process of keeping them side by side and getting her to gradually get used to and accept him. It was a hard long struggle but eventually they bonded and have been living together ever since.

Negative experience: I have a second male rabbit (Harvey) living side by side with Willow and Charlie and despite my best efforts they are still hostile to him.

I was treading carefully here as two strong independent women may not be an easy bond :shock:

Back