• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Experience with Incurin

Leesa

Warren Scout
My female rabbit is trying out incurin for her urinary incontinence (the vets found her bladder is in the wrong place). I’m going to have to take her to the vet tomorrow as worried about small poops with fur in them (not joined). The problem tonight is she keeps attacking our other bunny. They usually get on so well so i’m going to have to separate them in our room overnight with some NIC cubes as scared in case they get into a fight. Has anyone had any experience with incurin? I note it’s hormonal. This is her 6th day of taking the tablets.

incurin

My female rabbit is trying out incurin for her urinary incontinence (the vets found her bladder is in the wrong place). I’m going to have to take her to the vet tomorrow as worried about small poops with fur in them (not joined). The problem tonight is she keeps attacking our other bunny. They usually get on so well so i’m going to have to separate them in our room overnight with some NIC cubes as scared in case they get into a fight. Has anyone had any experience with incurin? I note it’s hormonal. This is her 6th day of taking the tablets.
dear leesa,-try these websites http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html and http://www.medirabbit.com sincerely james waller from the other kent wa.st usa:love:

;

dear leesa,I have sent an email to dr.esther van pragg at medirabbit.com,-might I suggest you do likewise.!!asap-sincerely james waller

Incurin is a synthetic oestrogen and it should only be used in spayed Does (off licence as it is not licenced for use in Rabbits, but a Vet can decide to prescribe it under the Veterinary prescribing cascade https://www.bsava.com/Resources/Veterinary-resources/Medicines-Guide/Prescribing-cascade ). So I am assuming that your Doe is spayed ?

Details about Incurin and possible side effects here :

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-454853

Behavioural changes are a possibility with any type of hormone treatment.

These old RU threads may also be useful to read

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?459118-Incurin-any-experiences&highlight=incurin

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...t-rabbit-looking-for-advice&highlight=incurin

I hope the Vet can help xx

experience with rx-incurin

dear leesa,-incurin[oestriol]-is used in spayed females that suffer from incontinence..when all possible cause for incontinence have been ruled out,like infection,stones,etc..the oestriol gives tonus to the lower urogenital tract = improved muscular tone and has shown to improve urethral sphincter function..it was first used successfully in bitches,but is now also given to female rabbits,when there is no other cause for incontinence..-its use in spayed rabbits is mentioned in several recent veterinary rabbit textbooks...--this is word for word the email response I received from dr.esther van pragg http://www.medirabbit.com --personally I had never heard of this med,-but it does have merit,-if the rabbit meets the criteria-above..sincerely james waller from across the great pond,the other kent wa.st.usa:wave::love:

Thanks for the replies, I wrote a long reply but it logged me out and I lost it 😬

Yes she is spayed - that was at approximately 6 months, she is now just over 5 years old. The vets wasn’t sure if she was born with her bladder in the wrong place or it was to do with the neuter - apparently it can stick to other parts during healing.

She went to the vets yesterday as I was concerned about gut Statis as she had tiny poops and during giving her meds she got really upset and

Sorry, having a nightmare posting on my phone.

She got upset and started maybe guinea pig sounding noises she has never made in the 5 years we’ve had her. Definitely not honking, she does that normally for food. Not a scream either.

Vet gave her a gut stimulatant and fluids for dehydration- I think she had gone downhill over night as felt skinny and said her stomach was sore so she’s on metacam and also randitidine. That was yesterday.

Today no improvement, she’s actually got worse with being territorial and has been trying to bite me whilst syringing her meds. I’ve had to separate the two of them as she started aggressively jumping Fudge and when I tried to get her off she was latched on really bad - it was pulling his skin. The poor thing ended up with a 1cm chunk of fur missing, thankfully no bleeding, but he has a bald patch so I’m scared of her doing more damage.

Today her appetite is just as normal, very happy to eat pellets and vegetables. Not as interested in hay but will still nibble a bit. Her poops have maybe got very slightly bigger, they went a bit worse after the vets trip but then a bit better. She now seems to know when she is seeing a bit more I think as i’ve seen her with her tail up. But now it’s everywhere! Previously and on the propalin it was only where she ate hay. The vet wanted to keep her on that until we see Molly Varga

Got stuck again sorry,

As unfortunately Molly wasn’t there to see her Tuesday. So we have an appointment booked for Friday, we were hoping she would be better by then and we could just discuss meds for her incontinence, but judging by her behaviour I think we are going to have to look st what on earth is going on with her being so aggressive.

I feel so bad for our boy as he doesn’t know what is going on and just wants to be with her. I think for tonight and going forward we’ll have to build a big NIC cube pen to separate them because i’m Worried he is going to get seriously injured.

So my dilemmas now are trying to keep her hydrated as she’s stopped drinking her water as often. I’m offering high content veg and herbs with water on plus soaked pellets in a load of water to get her to take that. I’ll syringe fed water when I do her meds but trying to limit that as much as possible as to not stress her out. I’ve also tried getting her to take sugarfree vimto with water (watered down) from a syringe but she’s stopped being interested in that now. I’m worried about taking our boy, Fudge to the vets with her Friday in case she goes for him in the cat carrier, but then also worried about leaving him home and ruining their bond completely. It’s a long drive and he gets so scared anyway.

Back