• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

some questions about washing and caring

zahra

Young Bun
Hello friends, I'm Danni's mom :wave::D
while ago I brought him to vet and asked him how I should wash his hands and feet, and he said you can not use any shampoo or soap, just use water!! but as you see in photos, his hands and feet turns to yellow :)) he put his hands into water and then put it in his food and sometimes his feet get colored by his urine. what can I do? I really should just wash his hands and feet with water? or you guys use shampoo or what? and here is another question, sometimes when I want to pet him, I keep him like this (in his back,as you see in the photo),i wanna know is it OK? it doesn't make him feel bad or anything? and the last question for today :) he plays with his bowl of food, sometimes he picks up it with mouth and put it in his bowl of water! and sometimes , he replace the bowl and keep changing the place of it :)) does it mean anything? he wants to say something by doing this or just it's a game?
aemd_img_20190218_180757.jpg

mj7c_img_20190218_180741.jpg

o83i_img_20190218_180822.jpg

Hello friends, I'm Danni's mom :wave::D
while ago I brought him to vet and asked him how I should wash his hands and feet, and he said you can not use any shampoo or soap, just use water!! but as you see in photos, his hands and feet turns to yellow :)) he put his hands into water and then put it in his food and sometimes his feet get colored by his urine. what can I do? I really should just wash his hands and feet with water? or you guys use shampoo or what? and here is another question, sometimes when I want to pet him, I keep him like this (in his back,as you see in the photo),i wanna know is it OK? it doesn't make him feel bad or anything? and the last question for today :) he plays with his bowl of food, sometimes he picks up it with mouth and put it in his bowl of water! and sometimes , he replace the bowl and keep changing the place of it :)) does it mean anything? he wants to say something by doing this or just it's a game?
aemd_img_20190218_180757.jpg

mj7c_img_20190218_180741.jpg

o83i_img_20190218_180822.jpg
Hi there!

Please don't put him on his back like that, it's really bad for bunnies, it puts them into a tranced state :( it's extremely dangerous

I have two white buns, I've found that aslong as they can't stand in the urine their paws stay perfectly white :) do you use an absorbant litter? I find this helps and lots of hay on top :)

Some buns like throwing things around, I've swapped to heavy ceramic bowls to stop this, and I give mine natural willow toys to throw around and play with :)

Last edited:
Hi there!

Please don't put him on his back like that, it's really bad for bunnies, it puts them into a tranced state :( it's extremely dangerous

I have two white buns, I've found that aslong as they can't stand in the urine their paws stay perfectly white :) do you use an absorbant litter? I find this helps and lots of hay on top :)

Some buns like throwing things around, I've swapped to heavy ceramic bowls to stop this, and I give mine natural willow toys to throw around and play with :)

oooh my God!! really?? I didn't know it is bad for them, i saw many videos of cats and dogs that their owners pet them like that and my little bunny didn't react like he has a bad feeling, i'm really happy that i asked about this :cry: absorbent litter? do you mean something like sponge ?:

oooh my God!! really?? I didn't know it is bad for them, i saw many videos of cats and dogs that their owners pet them like that and my little bunny didn't react like he has a bad feeling, i'm really happy that i asked about this :cry: absorbent litter? do you mean something like sponge ?:

Yes they don't react, they stay very still, Google rabbit trancing for more info.

Don't worry about it now though, just don't repeat it :)

Not sponge more like a paper bedding, or paper litter pellet, are you in the UK? We use back 2 nature small animal litter here :)

What sort of enclosure is he in? And does he have a litter tray? (just trying to get an idea of your setup) :)

Yes they don't react, they stay very still, Google rabbit trancing for more info.

Don't worry about it now though, just don't repeat it :)

Not sponge more like a paper bedding, or paper litter pellet, are you in the UK? We use back 2 nature small animal litter here :)

What sort of enclosure is he in? And does he have a litter tray? (just trying to get an idea of your setup) :)

Thanks a lot that you aware me about rabbit tracing. and about UK, no I'm not there, and about his place, my little bunny has 2 places , one is for playing and it's a bigger place and the second is a smaller one that is for rest and sleeping.for the smaller one I use 2 layers. one layer is plastic in order to urine can't leak . and the topper layer of it, is fabric.(this is just one of the fabric that I use, he has some different fabrics with different materials as the topper layer) and when he do urine I have to change the fabric. sorry for messy photo I already want to change the fabric but first i took this photo to show you.
vhrz_pelastic.jpg

qq7i_parche.jpg

bwej_pasio.jpg

Thanks a lot that you aware me about rabbit tracing. and about UK, no I'm not there, and about his place, my little bunny has 2 places , one is for playing and it's a bigger place and the second is a smaller one that is for rest and sleeping.for the smaller one I use 2 layers. one layer is plastic in order to urine can't leak . and the topper layer of it, is fabric.(this is just one of the fabric that I use, he has some different fabrics with different materials as the topper layer) and when he do urine I have to change the fabric. sorry for messy photo I already want to change the fabric but first i took this photo to show you.
vhrz_pelastic.jpg

qq7i_parche.jpg

bwej_pasio.jpg
Ah that's okay :)

Would you consider getting a plastic litter tray maybe? And filling it with a type of litter? You can use wood litter pellets, or paper pellets, or do you have carefresh or something similar where you are? Depends where you are what's available, but if you put a litter in a tray it wouldn't leak and you could just change it once a day :) that's what I do here. And it keeps their paws clean because they can never stand in the pee. Does you rabbit get plenty of hay too?

Ah that's okay :)

Would you consider getting a plastic litter tray maybe? And filling it with a type of litter? You can use wood litter pellets, or paper pellets, or do you have carefresh or something similar where you are? Depends where you are what's available, but if you put a litter in a tray it wouldn't leak and you could just change it once a day :) that's what I do here. And it keeps their paws clean because they can never stand in the pee. Does you rabbit get plenty of hay too?

aha , so i think should search about what are available here for rabbits, good idea thanks. about hay, hmmm do you see the empty bowl in the upper photo? at the early morning and mid day and after noon and night he ate this amount. some days he eat less and some days more but the average of hay he use is that amount i said. is it enough? and I have a question about it too, sometimes his stomach seems full and like a little balloon :) but he act like he is hungry, someone told me that rabbits can not understand when they are full and I myself should care about it, is it true? i mean how many times a day he should eat?

aha , so i think should search about what are available here for rabbits, good idea thanks. about hay, hmmm do you see the empty bowl in the upper photo? at the early morning and mid day and after noon and night he ate this amount. some days he eat less and some days more but the average of hay he use is that amount i said. is it enough? and I have a question about it too, sometimes his stomach seems full and like a little balloon :) but he act like he is hungry, someone told me that rabbits can not understand when they are full and I myself should care about it, is it true? i mean how many times a day he should eat?

Hi there :wave:

Rabbits need constant unlimited access to hay throughout the day, so your little one can have as much as he would like! There should always be fresh hay for him to eat. :) Here's some more information about why hay is so important for rabbits and what their diet should consist of: https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/hay-grass/

You might find this link regarding what Graciee mentioned about trancing interesting too: http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/trancing/

If you don't mind sharing, whereabouts in the world are you? We might be able to recommend things more relevant to your country?

Yea good idea, work out what's safe and available where you're from, and maybe get a cat litter tray to put the litter in, then you won't have to worry about changing the fabrics or the pee leaking :)

Hay should really be unlimited, they should be able to eat as much as they want 24/7. It's great for their stomach and teeth :) so I really wouldn't limit to a few bowls a day.

We give a fairly large amount every evening and top it up every evening :) can never have too much hay! :D

Do you feed pellets? The daily amount you should feed is very small, no more than an egg cup size per day :) I got this really wrong at first and they will just eat pellets..which isn't healthy for them :(

Rabbits need constant unlimited access to hay throughout the day, so your little one can have as much as he would like! There should always be fresh hay for him to eat. :) Here's some more information about why hay is so important for rabbits and what their diet should consist of: https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/hay-grass/

You might find this link regarding what Graciee mentioned about trancing interesting too: http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/trancing/

If you don't mind sharing, whereabouts in the world are you? We might be able to recommend things more relevant to your country?
Great advice :)

Hi :wave: oh wow, i didn't know, so from now on i give him unlimited amount of hay, thanks for advice , and i live in Iran (do you know Persia?)

Yea good idea, work out what's safe and available where you're from, and maybe get a cat litter tray to put the litter in, then you won't have to worry about changing the fabrics or the pee leaking :)

Hay should really be unlimited, they should be able to eat as much as they want 24/7. It's great for their stomach and teeth :) so I really wouldn't limit to a few bowls a day.

We give a fairly large amount every evening and top it up every evening :) can never have too much hay! :D

Do you feed pellets? The daily amount you should feed is very small, no more than an egg cup size per day :) I got this really wrong at first and they will just eat pellets..which isn't healthy for them :(

thanks i will do it from now on :) no i didn't give him pellets because i read that it should be very limited and under the supervision of the veterinarian so i afraid to do it. his food that i give him is something like this : about 80% dry hay, a little carrot some days, little slice of apple, and some amount of parsley every day and some days a little lettuce.

thanks i will do it from now on :) no i didn't give him pellets because i read that it should be very limited and under the supervision of the veterinarian so i afraid to do it. his food that i give him is something like this : about 80% dry hay, a little carrot some days, little slice of apple, and some amount of parsley every day and some days a little lettuce.

Yea buns can do well on a diet of just lots of hay, I'd just increase it so he's never without :)

I'd limit carrot as its very high is sugar, once a week max would be my suggestion, I feed it a lot less than that tho, same with apple, very high in sugar. Parsley and other herbs are fine :) you can feed veggies like kale, and brocoli too - they are favourites here :D

Yea buns can do well on a diet of just lots of hay, I'd just increase it so he's never without :)

I'd limit carrot as its very high is sugar, once a week max would be my suggestion, I feed it a lot less than that tho, same with apple, very high in sugar. Parsley and other herbs are fine :) you can feed veggies like kale, and brocoli too - they are favourites here :D

good advice about carrot and apple :) thank you very much

No worries :) it's a bit of a learning curve with buns I've found [emoji38]

How old is your little guy? Sorry if you've already said :)

in fact i don't know too! because someone gave him to me as a gift and he said he is very baby but not sure the age hahaha oh my God

Back