• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What dried forage does your rabbit really enjoy?

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
I am curantly slowly introducing veg in the morning and dried forage in the evening although we have only tried a few.

Wondering what forage really excites every ones rabbits? I want to introduce more of a variety but there is so much to chose from that I’m at a loss.

We intend to start foraging for ourselves when the weather is a bit warmer to. Do you use your oven to dry it to save for winter or does any one have a dehydrator machine?

Hey

We buy all our dried forage.

Favourites are...

Dandelion
Plantain
Rose petals
Dandelion root

They also get

Chamomile
Blackcurrant leaves
Echinecea
Hibiscus flowers
Cornflowers

And as a treat
Parsley root
Dried carrot

I think it depends on the buns though, but there's a few things mine just didn't like
Nettle
Birch leaves
Blackberry leaves
Lemon balm

They only ate these if they were reallllllllly hungry. Hahaha

Hey

We buy all our dried forage.

Favourites are...

Dandelion
Plantain
Rose petals
Dandelion root

They also get

Chamomile
Blackcurrant leaves
Echinecea
Hibiscus flowers
Cornflowers

And as a treat
Parsley root
Dried carrot

I think it depends on the buns though, but there's a few things mine just didn't like
Nettle
Birch leaves
Blackberry leaves
Lemon balm

They only ate these if they were reallllllllly hungry. Hahaha

Hi.

Thanks for the list.

Dandelion and rose petals are a favriots here to and get hovered up.

Will have to try the plaintain and dandelion root with them.

I can emagen that lot can get quiet expensive and is why I want try foraging and drying it for winter.

A lot of my dried forage ends up in mixed boxes so not entirely sure but willow always seems a hit, my buns like plantain, apple / pear, hawthorn, dandelions, hogweed & rowan. Not so keen on brambles (fresh or dry, they get served them anyway) or any of the nettle family. They are a bit meh about golden rod & willowherb, they refuse budlea. Theres loads of other delights for them. Such a nice thing to do with kids too.

A lot of my dried forage ends up in mixed boxes so not entirely sure but willow always seems a hit, my buns like plantain, apple / pear, hawthorn, dandelions, hogweed & rowan. Not so keen on brambles (fresh or dry, they get served them anyway) or any of the nettle family. They are a bit meh about golden rod & willowherb, they refuse budlea. Theres loads of other delights for them. Such a nice thing to do with kids too.

My little girl loves going to the woods so I thought it would be nice that it’s some thing we could do together. She will also love that she is doing some thing to keep her rabbits happy and healthy. I will look out for for a few of the ones you have mentioned for when we do our first trip out.

Frosty and Fern both like the sweet green herb mixes from nature’s own, and also the dried flower mix, the 5 a day mix, and the dried marigold flowers too :thumb:

Frosty and Fern both like the sweet green herb mixes from nature’s own, and also the dried flower mix, the 5 a day mix, and the dried marigold flowers too :thumb:

Thank you Zoobeck.

Harlequin and Beauty will be spoilt for choice by the time an order comes lol

I missed your bit about drying. I air / sun dry during summer, only takes a few days. I have a dehydrator but don't use it, or the oven

Thank you Zoobeck.

Harlequin and Beauty will be spoilt for choice by the time an order comes lol

Yes :lol: I get really excited when I do a big bunny goodie order! Nature’s own do free delivery over £19.95 so that always makes me want to put a big order in :lol:

The favourite at our house is good old dandelion. Recently tried Coneflower (from the HayExperts) and it's has gone down a storm.
I'd not heard of it before, it smells a bit like dandelion/celery/plantain.

I can't remember if this book has been recommended to you before, but it really is well worth getting. You could take it out with you when you go foraging. It also covers drying.

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/
Both her books are great :D

I'd just order a mix of stuff and see what they like, and the same when you forage yourselves :) I sometimes do a bit of foraging but tbh mainly I never have time so I spend a fair amount on the hay experts, hop to forage, galens garden and some on zooplus. Also twigs and nibbles or something...? [emoji38] Only two of my four eat forage too [emoji38]

They like:

Apple leafs
Pear leafs
Plantain
Hawthorn
Marigolds
Strawberry leafs
Lemon palm
Dandelion roots
Willow
Chicory root
Nettle

Least faves...
Blackcurrant leafs
Coneflower
Cornflower
Buddleia
Birch leaf

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the recommendations every one :D

I think I just wanted to see if there were any that most rabbits enjoyed and start with them then branch out.

So far we have tried rose petals dandelion leaves and flowers parsley and celery which all get eaten but only beauty likes the mulberry leaf we have Harlequin won’t touch it with a barge pole lol

Omi I think I have seen the link befor but it is now saved on my phone for a better look once Brandi is in bed. Thank you :)

Joe&boo- I live in a block of flats and I’m sure if I left the forage out there all the kids would love to play in it lol I would loved to have try it being the most natral way.

Lobbers- that’s quiet a list :) I tried looking at galens gardens last night as Iv seen the site befor but wouldn’t load for some reason :(

there are loads of good ways to dry it inside too. Repurposing my swinging hammock chair was my favourite last year. All the crochet holes are ace for poking bits through:lol:

YPrEVXBm.jpg

Thank you for all the recommendations every one :D

I think I just wanted to see if there were any that most rabbits enjoyed and start with them then branch out.

So far we have tried rose petals dandelion leaves and flowers parsley and celery which all get eaten but only beauty likes the mulberry leaf we have Harlequin won’t touch it with a barge pole lol

Omi I think I have seen the link befor but it is now saved on my phone for a better look once Brandi is in bed. Thank you :)

Joe&boo- I live in a block of flats and I’m sure if I left the forage out there all the kids would love to play in it lol I would loved to have try it being the most natral way.

Lobbers- that’s quiet a list :) I tried looking at galens gardens last night as Iv seen the site befor but wouldn’t load for some reason :(
Galens garden seemed to be down earlier, seems to be back now tho :)

Also I should've mentioned, ribwort is a staple here :) you can buy it cheaply on zooplus :) also the Blutenwiese [emoji38]

there are loads of good ways to dry it inside too. Repurposing my swinging hammock chair was my favourite last year. All the crochet holes are ace for poking bits through:lol:

YPrEVXBm.jpg
[/IMG]

Ooo that gives me a couple of ideas. We have an office chair we dont use with the back made out of mesh and I’m sure i can make some thing with lots of small loops in it or a hay net.

Galens garden seemed to be down earlier, seems to be back now tho :)

Also I should've mentioned, ribwort is a staple here :) you can buy it cheaply on zooplus :) also the Blutenwiese [emoji38]

I tried galens garden last night and it was so I’ll have a peek tonight :)

I didn’t have a good experiance with zooplus but will definantly look out for the ribwort else where.

Has any one tried the hay and gras bricks from galens garden?
Mine love their hay cookies to bits but the ones we curantly have make their poops really dark and a bit smaller

Back