• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for bunny with lots of gas

Oh I'm sorry to hear this :(

It's so difficult when they are like this and it's looking so bleak. You've given her time that she wouldn't have had and that's a blessing for all of you, though of course things have been stressful as well.

I hope you can all have a peaceful weekend enjoying each others' company and when Monday comes feel you're able to take whatever decision needs to be taken.

My thoughts are with you xx

Thankyou, luckily I work from home so I was able to spend the day with her today and will do the same over the weekend, having lots of cuddles xxx

Sammy wasn't doing too well last night, and was on and off good and bad today. We discussed options with the vet of maybe putting her down after all she's been through already and this is another issue now. We decided to see how she is over the weekend, we have a higher dose of vetergesic and going to do 3 times a day instead of 2. Continue with zantac. Put her back on loxicom temporarily. Also we have cisapride pills to crush up to give her too. If she doesn't pick up or is in pain or discomfort a lot over the weekend, even with all this help, we will likely be letting her go on Monday. I hate seeing her suffer, her quality of life this week hasn't been good. It's such a shame that it was only fairly recently she had her teeth filed again and she managed to bounce back quickly from the anaesthetic even though we all thought she wouldn't make it through. She was eating again quickly and her normal self. Fingers crossed for her, she's already had nearly 7 months from when she was first ill and we thought we were losing her then, but I would love to have some more time with her.

I am saddened to read the latest update and I hope that Sammy can remain as comfortable as possible xx

Update. Thanks for all the positive vibes everyone, it must have helped! She had a pretty good weekend, eating quite a few nuggets, grass, dandelion leaves and a bit of veg. She has been pooing nice big round poos! She has been in a pretty good mood, a little miserable seeming a couple of times but generally much better. I phoned the vet this morning and we agreed to cut out the vetergesic (although she already had her morning dose), continue with loxicom and zantec and the cisapride pills. I have to see how she goes next couple of days and phone the vet again Wednesday, unless I need help before then. We are trying not to take Sammy to the vets when unnecessary to stress her less so the vet said a phone call is fine unless I need to bring her in. On Wednesday we may cut down some more medicine if she has got on ok. We want to get her back off the loxicom asap as it won't be helping her kidneys. The vet said she may need the zantac for longer. Anyway, I am so pleased she had a good weekend and really hoping she does ok without the vetergesic. She's been very lively (and mischievious) today so fingers crossed. I think my decision, that my partner and the vet both agree with, is to see if she can manage with only a little help. As she now has the kidney issues too, I feel she has been through so much this last 7 months, that if she is going down hill and needs a lot of medicine to stay alive, and lots of visits to the vets, I don't think I want to put her through the stress and misery all over again. A week and a half ago she was on no medicine other than some eye cream as needed, which was amazing after all her problems, I was so happy, so it's such a shame that she has suddenly needed lots again. Fingers crossed she will keep improving :)

Sammy is still doing well, I am so pleased. I phoned the vet again yesterday and we have now cut out the loxicom too, so she's just on zantec and the cisapride pills. If she continues doing ok the vet wants me to carry on with those 2 medicines and she will see her again in about 2 weeks. Sammy has been eating pretty well, she had dropped to 2.8kg last week after getting back to over 3kg (ideal would be 3.5kg). Hopefully she is putting it back on again. She has been in a very good, happy mood Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and today so far. Hopefully it continues! I asked the vet about stages of the kindey problem like you get with dogs, but she said they don't really do it as stages, something about needing urine samples and things as well. So she can't really tell me how long she thinks Sammy has other than it won't go away but we can try to help with the injections and consider other options. xxx

Sammy is still doing well, I am so pleased. I phoned the vet again yesterday and we have now cut out the loxicom too, so she's just on zantec and the cisapride pills. If she continues doing ok the vet wants me to carry on with those 2 medicines and she will see her again in about 2 weeks. Sammy has been eating pretty well, she had dropped to 2.8kg last week after getting back to over 3kg (ideal would be 3.5kg). Hopefully she is putting it back on again. She has been in a very good, happy mood Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and today so far. Hopefully it continues! I asked the vet about stages of the kindey problem like you get with dogs, but she said they don't really do it as stages, something about needing urine samples and things as well. So she can't really tell me how long she thinks Sammy has other than it won't go away but we can try to help with the injections and consider other options. xxx

I am pleased to read that Sammy is still coping really well. I hope that she will continue to do so for as long as possible xx

I am so pleased to hear this! She is lucky to have such a wonderful nurse :)

Update

Hi, I thought I would give an update. Sammy had been doing extremely well, only on 1/2 a cisapride pill a day and no issues. I reluctantly started her panacur again on Monday which was due. I say reluctantly as when I gave it 3 months ago I felt that she didn't seem completely ok while having it but as she has had so many issues I didn't think too much about it. But it was very soon after that 9 day dose that she had this extreme gas issue. My other bunny was absolutely fine. I had been thinking about it and trying to work out the exact timeframe I had given it before this gas issue. Anyway she was ok-ish for the first few days but on Thursday night she was chewing lots of her toys (more than normal). I worried slightly she might have her tooth problem back. Friday morning I woke up to find massive lumps of unformed poos on the floor (one of which I stood in bare foot!) Bare in mind she had no issues for over 2 months I thought this is unlikely to be a coincidence. Fortunately she was still hopping about and eating. I phoned the vet. My normal vet wasn't available until today so I didn't give her any panacur Friday and kept a close eye on her, ready to give her zantec if needed. Luckily she only did one more weird lot and then seemed to be pooing fairly normally. I gave her another cisapride 1/2 pill that evening (I can do 1/2 once or twice a day as necessary). I saw my vet today. Luckily Sammy's guts felt ok, teeth looked fine, her weight is still fine, her temperature was fine etc. The vet looked back at the notes from last time and could see the dates of when I last gave her the panacur and the bad gas episode were very very close. She thinks that is highly likely that Sammy is having some sort of intolerance to the panacur which although unusual and she hasn't come aacross it before herself, does seem the most likely. She is happy that I stopped it and is going to research other options to try for Sammy instead or maybe just not give it to her at all. Other than that I just have to give her zantec if needed but I am hoping I caught the problem early enough and her guts go back to normal again. I had never treated Sammy with panacur before last august as she is indoor so I didn't think I needed to. She had panacur for the first time back ion in case the original issue back in august. The originl thought was she had a stroke, but there was a slight possibility of it being econicula which is why we gave her the long treatment of it back then, followed by 9 day treatment every 3 months. The first and second treatment are difficult to tell if she had any reaction to it as there was so much else going on. But the 3rd treatment and this one are more noticeable as nothing much else was going on. Anyway, I will start a separate thread just to warn people to look out for signs, I am not suggesting it is a bad thing to give them as I don't know and I will continue to give to my other bunny who seems fine with it. Sammy & Gingerbread send their love to everyone xxx

Back