• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I get Ume to stop biting and nibbling?

axmii

New Kit
I was thinking of rubbing lemon on her mouth when she bites. I don't think spraying water would work. Any ideas?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I was thinking of rubbing lemon on her mouth when she bites. I don't think spraying water would work. Any ideas?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
It your rabbit biting you? Or just chewing stuff?

Biting you, you may need to reevaluate how you interact with you rabbit. Chewing furniture and stuff - that's what buns do. There is some bitter apple spray which you can spray onto the areas being chewed, not on the rabbit! And it deters them I think, have a Google you may find similar products :)

With any animal, it's usually much kinder and more effective long term to encourage/praise the behaviour you do want rather than using aversives/punishments like a water spray to correct unwanted behaviour.

As Graciee says, it depends what he's biting.

If he's biting you, then it could be either the way you're handling him (rabbits often prefer all four feet on the ground for example) or it might be that he's trying to tell you that you're in the way - one of my rabbits used to nip me on the bottom if I was sat somewhere that he wanted to get to. :lol:

If you're worried about him chewing stuff he shouldn't then I would look at bunny proofing the things you don't want him to have access to (table legs, wires etc ..... if you give us details, members can suggest ideas for protecting them) and give him more opportunities to practice the nibbling behaviour on his own things (branches etc).

ETA: Sorry, I referred to Ume as 'he' all the way through and just realised he is a she. :oops:

Last edited:
Back