• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peeing on carpet

Orenoko

Mama Doe
As the title suggests, Teddy has decided to start peeing on the carpet under his new favourite chair. At first I thought maybe it was because he was still recovering from his last tilt relapse, as when he first got ill he struggled to use a litter tray, but he happily hops around in there now and will pee in there too so I don't think that's the problem. I put some puppy pads down but I think that's made it worse as he tends to associate them with being allowed to pee somewhere as we used them to help re-train him last year.

I've resorted to blocking off that corner of the room until he hopefully gets the hint! Does anyone know why they suddenly decide to pee somewhere new? Is it territorial? I clean it with white vinegar to get rid of the smell but it doesn't seem to deter him! It's only that corner of the room that he does it in, and weirdly neither of them even used to go over into that corner until recently.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

As the title suggests, Teddy has decided to start peeing on the carpet under his new favourite chair. At first I thought maybe it was because he was still recovering from his last tilt relapse, as when he first got ill he struggled to use a litter tray, but he happily hops around in there now and will pee in there too so I don't think that's the problem. I put some puppy pads down but I think that's made it worse as he tends to associate them with being allowed to pee somewhere as we used them to help re-train him last year.

I've resorted to blocking off that corner of the room until he hopefully gets the hint! Does anyone know why they suddenly decide to pee somewhere new? Is it territorial? I clean it with white vinegar to get rid of the smell but it doesn't seem to deter him! It's only that corner of the room that he does it in, and weirdly neither of them even used to go over into that corner until recently.

The first thing I always do is test the urine. I have some of those human dipstick tests and I do one of those.

If the problem continues I always exclude a urinary tract infection (vet visit) before thinking it's behavioural, just because they can be so painful!

It's a right pain, I know, and bunnies have us on the end of a string with their propensity to wee and chew where they will :roll:

The first thing I always do is test the urine. I have some of those human dipstick tests and I do one of those.

If the problem continues I always exclude a urinary tract infection (vet visit) before thinking it's behavioural, just because they can be so painful!

It's a right pain, I know, and bunnies have us on the end of a string with their propensity to wee and chew where they will :roll:
I've never even heard of these, do you have a link? Would be happy to try that if it helps rule anything out!

Back