• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny died yesterday - next steps

CwningenBach

Warren Scout
Morning everyone,

I’m being pretty dispassionate about this because otherwise I’ll crack. Sherlock died yesterday a month being diagnosed with a heart condition. We are devastated and now I have to think about Navi Rabbit.

She’s just under 7, French Lop-ish so pretty big and in seemingly great health. I don’t want another rabbit, I love them dearly but the Sherlock thing is one a) way too raw b) I love(d)Sherlock a lot and going through this again isn’t appealing c) getting stuck in a cycle of always having a bunny as they leave

But - Navi is priority. We do work a lot so she needs another bunny. This has happened before to me around 7 years ago, when I just got Sherlock and his friend, who sadly died being spayed. It was simple to get another young bunny and that’s how Navi came home.

For Navi - it’s (coldly) super important to me that she remains the bunny in charge, it’s her house (and it will be the new one’s too of course and we’ll love it) and I want to minimise any disruption to Navi. I get it they’ll work that out themselves, but still. Should I get a young rabbit or a similarly aged rabbit?

Sherlock is still at the vets. Do I have to bring him home for Navi before returning him to the vets? I can’t begin to tell you how much I don’t want to do that, but will if *necessary*. I did that for Sherlock 7 years ago, I don’t know if it helped him or not.

Thank you

First of all, I am so sorry to see that you have lost Sherlock. :cry:
I have always brought the bunny (or kitty) home to allow his or her companions to see, and feel that it helped.
I have wanted to do it for me, also, as I wanted him or her home for one last night, so I could talk to them, tell them how much I loved them, how special they were etc, and wrap them in their favourite towel or whatever and tuck a little note inside. I have then arranged an individual cremation, from my home address.
I know a lot of people aren't like me, and don't want the body to bring home, so you certainly shouldn't feel obliged to do so. We have to do what is right for us ... and many will probably think I am morbid, but I do what is right for me.

When I have brought home a rabbit that died at the vet, his partner wasn't interested - presumably as he smelled of vet and wasn't the bunny they remembered. I always bury them at home, though, so I would have brought him back anyway. I just don't think I would bother making a point of letting partner buns see them. Unless they died next to their partner, I personally haven't seen any benefit to doing it, and it can just be too much to see the rejection on top of all your other feelings.

Everyone is different in how they deal with this. There is no right or wrong answer. Go with what feels right for you.

RIP Sherlock.

No advice on whether to bring him home, I think that's completely subjective to each person. As to whether to get a friend for your Navi, it may be too soon for you from the sounds of it to think about it seriously. I would try and give her as much fuss as you can while you take time to grieve and get used to the loss of Sherlock. Time will probably tell you if she needs a companion and who would be best suited for her. All the best in this difficult time xx

I'm sorry for your loss.

I didn't bring my three home (yes, all three, together, pts, so no grieving bun at home) to bury. I'd buried Matthew. That was enough.

I am so sorry that you lost Sherlock. It is always a big loss especially when other rabbits are involved as a bond and in my view, it would help with Navi to understand the sudden loss of Sherlock if they were allowed to share a moment. Be that a few minutes or longer. I believe it helps them to understand since we cannot tell them or explain to them. It might help Navi to move on. It is worth trying to spend more time with Navi, give Navi loads of treats and cuddles and attention. When you feel ready and when you think Navi is ready, then it would be the right time to consider introducing a new bun. Binkey free Sherlock. xx

I’m so sorry for your and Navi’s loss xx

I can’t advice on what to do for the best; I have been in situations where the bunny was allowed time to say goodbye and in other situations where it wasn’t possible. I can’t say that one was ‘better’ than the other - I think it might depend on the individual bunny.

As for getting Navi a new friend: maybe give yourself some to time to grieve before you look for a new friend. Taking on a new bunny and bonding is a big commitment and you and Navi may both need some time to breathe xx

I’m so sorry for your and Navi’s loss xx

I can’t advice on what to do for the best; I have been in situations where the bunny was allowed time to say goodbye and in other situations where it wasn’t possible. I can’t say that one was ‘better’ than the other - I think it might depend on the individual bunny.

As for getting Navi a new friend: maybe give yourself some to time to grieve before you look for a new friend. Taking on a new bunny and bonding is a big commitment and you and Navi may both need some time to breathe xx

I agree with all of this. Hugs xx

Thanks everyone for the messages - hugely appreciated. I miss my little guy so much.

Navi Rabbit is OK currently - I am hyper aware that she is on her own now for 8-10 hours a day without Sherlock :( We’ll sort something soon.

I completely understand how you feel as I'm in the same situation myself. :(

My boy is 6 so I've been checking local rescues for females of a similar age. My OH and I didn't want to keep getting rabbits after our boys died but we didn't think we'd lose one this soon.

Got a call from the vets today saying little Sherlock’s ashes are ready. Urgh.

Navi Rabbit is doing OK, but leaving HomePod on all day whilst out isn’t really enough anymore, need to get her a friend. She’s also lying down with us a lot more, which is sweet and stuff, but because it’s a *lot* more she obviously wants company.

Thanks everyone for your messages :)

Thinking of you. It's good Navi seems to enjoy your company, but I can understand you'll want to find her a new friend.

Sending hugs. Picking up ashes is hard. I remember collecting them and then bawling my eyes out sat in the car park for ages before I could drive home.

Back