• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Public transport and bunnies

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
We don’t have a car, and so always use Uber’s to get to the various vets we use in London. If we used public transport it would mean getting on 2 trains and walking through a busy street. The amount we’re spending on Uber’s is really adding up, so we’re now thinking of using public transport.

What are people’s thoughts on this? Wondering if anyone else uses public transport?

Thanks

Xxx

I think Joey&Boo mentioned using buses and I’m sure someone on here used to travel on the train over quite long distances with their buns. Personally, if I didn’t drive I’d consider it, maybe with a cover over the cage so they couldn’t see out? For me, the biggest issue would be the weight of carrying them any distance, but them I am a feeble wuss!

I think Joey&Boo mentioned using buses and I’m sure someone on here used to travel on the train over quite long distances with their buns. Personally, if I didn’t drive I’d consider it, maybe with a cover over the cage so they couldn’t see out? For me, the biggest issue would be the weight of carrying them any distance, but them I am a feeble wuss!

Thanks for this. I know Lisa 1981 has mentioned it too

I’m a feeble wuss too, I can barely lift them both and they only weigh 3.5kg in total. I’m tempted to get one of those prams but I’d look ridiculous! It would also be well embarrassing if there was no lift.

We use the buss to get to the vets we’re curently at in London. The things that worry me The most is the extra time it takes by public transport and the added stress of all the noise ( especilly at busy times ) and strange smells. I usherly cover the carrier with my coat which helps some and smells familiar to them. Also bear in mind Saturday and Sunday services can be quiet disjointed if nedding to go at the weekend so I plan it that we dont usherly have to wait to long but this could be tricky if you need to get there fast.

Maybe try it once and see what you think then you would be able to gauge if it’s apropriate or maybe use ubbrr if it’s a real emergency and public transport the rest of the time if your bunny’s are ok with it.

More rabbits than not of mine have done vet runs via public transport. I dislike the experience more than my rabbits I think. With Noodle she was super chilled & seemed to enjoy any experience if I was by her side. Other bunnies really don't seem to mind trains, they present as less stressed than in the car. I don't like walking through stations & insist on holding the carrier in my arms. One way jouney from here to my bunnies vet consists of 2 buses, 2 trains (short journeys) & a taxi. Repeat for the way back. I'd say try it though when your bunnies have an appointment but are well in themselves xx

I have no experience of it but any time I put mine in a carrier I get ridiculously paranoid that the bottom of the carrier will fall off and I'll have to try and chase bunnies to catch them. This has never happened so I don't know why I think it will, but that irrational fear would probably prevent me taking mine on public transport.

I don't drive so take my bunnies to the vet on the bus all the time. My GP vet is only a few bus stops down the road so isn't too bad for them. If they get ill out if hours it's two buses, but the journey's still only around 20 mins. They seem to cope ok with it. I've also,taken them on the train to the RVC and they've been fine with it.

Having said that, there are exceptions where I will order a cab. If it's very late at night, particularly cold or they've just had a procedure under GA, discharged after a stasis episode, etc and I want to make sure they keep warm.

Hardest part is definitely walking to and from the bus stops as the carrier is a bit awkward to carry and it's quite hard not to jig it about too much. Also when they move about I have a mini terror they've fallen out of the bottom!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I have no experience of it but any time I put mine in a carrier I get ridiculously paranoid that the bottom of the carrier will fall off
I'm glad I'm not alone with this fear. I have to hold the underside of the carrier to ensure they are safe

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I am paranoid that the door will come open rather than the bottom drop off!

I don't think I'd take mine on buses more because I know they don't like travelling so they'll be worse on buses than car and it'll take longer

I also always hold my carries by the bottom too incase they suddenly fall apart!!

Luckily I live 5 mins walk away from my vets now, but my rabbits in the past have been to various vets on either one or two buses. And all have been fine and they seem the same level as stressed then when getting a lift. I've also travelled on the train with them when we were visiting family over Christmas. I take a blanket to cover the carrier, but I had one rabbit who would stamp and fidget unless she could see out!

I’m lucky mine are under 2kg at the moment I hate putting them down on any thing when we’re on the way to the vets. I can’t even think of a reason for it I just always want them as close as possible.

Thanks all.

I also get very paranoid that the bottom of the carrier will suddenly fall off, and that they’ll run away- sounds ridiculous but I’m glad others share my fear.

I think the journey would take roughly an hour to the vets. Zigzag is 8 years old, and always breathes rapidly on most Uber journeys, which has made me worry he’d be worse on public transport. Although when they’re vaccinations are due, I’ll have a go with public transport based on what others have said.

Thanks again

I’ve taken the bunny buggy on the bus before, several times with diff rabbits [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also glad it's not just me, terrified of the carriers coming apart,or the bottom just falling off ! I've started putting a bungy cord around it now, just in case, but I still hold it in my arms :roll:

When I had bunnies I always carried them holding the bottom of the carrier,never trusted the handle.Rio was nearly eight pounds,so easier to hold the bottom.I usually had my niece driving me to the vets.Now I just have a budgie.Previous birds have been caught gently and put in a shoe box (with air holes).Screeching protest at first but they calm right down in the dark.So much safer than transporting in a cage,even if covered etc.Wee hammies also got put in the shoebox.

I wouldn't do it, the extra time needed would be huge for me and cause extra stress.
The risk of being stuck someone on a broken down bus would worry me too.

Back