• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much weight can a 2.5 kg sized pull/move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bifidus

New Kit
During the night 🌃 when it's not raining I let my rabbit outside harnessed to a 5 kg stone so it doesn't run away. Usually the stone never moves. But this morning I found it off the place it usually is by a meter. Is it possible that some burglar/thief entered my house during the night and started messing around with my rabbit without me knowing?

Of course it is. Wouldn't you be worried if thieves entered your house during the night while you are sleeping.

I'm sure thieves wouldn't just move a stone, if nothing else was taken. I think people are questioning if the post is genuine because the real concern should be from predators/sudden adverse weather/escape/injury. It's not generally recommended rabbits free range outdoors without supervision I'm afraid. Is there another way your rabbit could enjoy some space on a night, is s/he normally indoors?

I'm sure thieves wouldn't just move a stone, if nothing else was taken. I think people are questioning if the post is genuine because the real concern should be from predators/sudden adverse weather/escape/injury. It's not generally recommended rabbits free range outdoors without supervision I'm afraid. Is there another way your rabbit could enjoy some space on a night, is s/he normally indoors?
Agreed.

Also with a harness on, if scared they could really hurt themselves.

Good advice, thanks Liz. :thumb:

I'm going to leave this here as a reminder for you all before anybody else jumps on the bandwagon. :wave: If you have any doubts about the sincerity of the post, either report it or leave some constructive advice.
Tone of Posts
The forum should be a supportive place to visit. It is possible to disagree with something without turning it into an insult. Sometimes it's not what you say but how you are saying it that causes a problem. For example, if someone is feeding their rabbit in a way you consider bad you could say:

"Why are you feeding your rabbit that rubbish? You should have done more research and fed it this instead. You better change it quickly before your rabbit dies."
Or

"Have you thought about swapping to pellets? Quite a few forum members feed these as they have more fibre so are better for their gut."

The first is likely to get you a warning from admin and chase the rabbits owner away. The second is friendly and tactful and will encourage the owner to listen to your advice. Sometimes it's difficult to be patient if you see something happening you think is wrong but staying calm and polite will generally get the most successful response in the end.

Also consider replies by other members. Multiple posts from different members raising the same issue can feel like being 'ganged up on'. Consider whether your post adds anything constructive.

@Liz47 he is usually in his rabbit hutch. So you are saying that it could have been the rabbit himself that moved the stone not an intruder? Because it has happened many times that a person I know comes here at night vandalizing my fence after having had a 'good time' with his friends in the pub nearby.

@Liz47 he is usually in his rabbit hutch. So you are saying that it could have been the rabbit himself that moved the stone not an intruder? Because it has happened many times that a person I know comes here at night vandalizing my fence after having had a 'good time' with his friends in the pub nearby.

Have you thought about keeping your rabbit indoors. It doesn't sound as though your garden is a safe place for him.

I think what we are trying to say here, is that from a rabbit welfare perspective, the tethering to a stone, regardless of whatever weight that stone is, of an animal who is in essence a pray animal, is not really in the best interests of the welfare of your rabbit. As guardian of your rabbit, you assume full responsibility to the protection, welfare and well being of your rabbit at all times. Your rabbit relies solely on you for it's protection and wellbeing. If your rabbit has a hutch, then this is a place of sanctuary for your rabbit. It needs that protection. It needs to feel safe from harm, from predation and threat. The hutch will allow your rabbit to feel secure and likewise it will provide an environment that protects your rabbit from elements such as wind, rain and cold. And if you don't feel the hutch can provide that, then you should consider adapting a place indoors for your rabbit to have a sanctuary in.
Your rabbit is extremely vulnerable on it's own, outside tethered to a stone. It cannot run, it cannot hide. In all seriousness, your rabbit will likley suffer some episode of shock and/or possible heart attack in such a situation.
If you're garden is prone to some elements of vandalism from rowdy drunks, I would perhaps consider addressing this with the pub landlord and/or the local community support officer. In any event, the welfare of your rabbit has to be paramount to you and I am expressing a degree of concern that you feel that it is best practice to tether a pet rabbit at night without any protection.

@Babsie Nothing has ever happened to him in two years time. I just leave him outside all day for weeks even months during the summer. I know sometimes it just happens that he rolls his stone around for a few centimetres or so but this time it was a whole meter so I was quite impressed.
I am sure the day before the stone was a yard more towards the west. I just hope �� it was just the rabbit otherwise I will have to put video surveillance gear if it's this person that started roaming into my house again during the night. In future I will change the picture of my avatar with one of my rabbit to show that he is sound and well.

@Craig 1965 I agree and thanks.

@Babsie Nothing has ever happened to him in two years time. I just leave him outside all day for weeks even months during the summer. I know sometimes it just happens that he rolls his stone around for a few centimetres or so but this time it was a whole meter so I was quite impressed.
I am sure the day before the stone was a yard more towards the west. I just hope ������ it was just the rabbit otherwise I will have to put video surveillance gear if it's this person that started roaming into my house again during the night. In future I will change the picture of my avatar with one of my rabbit to show that he is sound and well.

@Craig 1965 I agree and thanks.
I'm very concerned you think this an appropriate way to keep a rabbit. What Craig said is spot on. I'm not sure what else anyone can add regarding how the rock you tethered your rabbit to, moved.

Prehaps have a rethink on a safe space for your rabbit to be in at night, because it doesn't sound like you're current method is working.

I would say get a post that you can still into the ground and tie bun to there. You should keep an eye on your rabbit outside especially at night to make sure no wild predators can get a snack.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I would say get a post that you can still into the ground and tie bun to there. You should keep an eye on your rabbit outside especially at night to make sure no wild predators can get a snack.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Again, I don't think it is appropriate for a rabbit to be tied to a post, rock.. Or any other object..especially overnight.

That's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back