• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spay a bunny who’s partner is having to wait?

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
Both my girls are due to be spayed today.

Harlequin is ok and not as affected as Beauty.
Beauty keeps having gut slow downs which I manage to stop but then they reoccurs next day or that evening.

Beauty hasn’t pooped at all in the last 4 hours at all and is eating like a trooper. She possibly won’t get spayed but seen by a vet to see what can be done for the slow downs.

If one isn’t spayed would you wait to get the other done or would you still go ahead with the healthy rabbits spay and have poorly rabbit spayed at a later date?

We now have a vet assessing both girls rather then a nurse as I just phoned up to let them know the situation.

I would still go ahead and get the other one spayed if there isn't any reason not too in all honesty. if I remember right they're currently separated, so I don't think Harlequin going in for her spay would really affect her at all. if they were bonded I might say wait as you should take them in together, but I don't think that's the case here.

just how I would approach the situation tbh.

usually stasis is always a secondary condition. I wouldn't want to be spaying a bun who isn't in top health, so I'd probably leave Beauty and try and get to the bottom of what is causing her stasis first.

I would still go ahead and get the other one spayed if there isn't any reason not too in all honesty. if I remember right they're currently separated, so I don't think Harlequin going in for her spay would really affect her at all. if they were bonded I might say wait as you should take them in together, but I don't think that's the case here.

just how I would approach the situation tbh.

usually stasis is always a secondary condition. I wouldn't want to be spaying a bun who isn't in top health, so I'd probably leave Beauty and try and get to the bottom of what is causing her stasis first.
Completely agree, I'd get one spayed.

And I'd want to find out why the stasis keeps happening

They have both gone in to be spayed. The vet agrees (before I even shared my opinion) that with all the different behaviours timing and the way the slow downs cycle that it’s the hormoans and the stress of being seperated from harlequin. She also thinks it would keep happening untill beauty is spayed. They were both given full exams and stomach sounds as well as heart we’re good also nice and soft tummies and extreamilly lovely as usual.
They will both be monitored very closely and will be getting fluid therapy through out their stay today to help.

Last edited:
They have both gone in to be spayed. The vet agrees (before I even shared my opinion) that with all the different behaviours timing and the way the slow downs cycle that it’s the hormoans and the stress of being seperated from harlequin.
They will both be monitored very closely and will be getting fluid therapy through out their stay today to help.

Good vibes for them both.
Thinking of you and your girl and hoping you're not too worried.

Looking forward to good news later x

They have both gone in to be spayed. The vet agrees (before I even shared my opinion) that with all the different behaviours timing and the way the slow downs cycle that it’s the hormoans and the stress of being seperated from harlequin. She also thinks it would keep happening untill beauty is spayed. They were both given full exams and stomach sounds as well as heart we’re good also nice and soft tummies and extreamilly lovely as usual.
Good luck, vibes and hugs for them both :) and you x

Thank you Gracie.

Harlequin has come round from the anasetic :D now here’s hoping she eats.

Just waiting to hear about beauty now.

Sending lots of vibes for your girls. Going through a spay is always very nerve wracking.

I'm glad Harlequin has come round from the GA and I hope you get some good news on Beauty soon xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thank you Gracie.

Ah I'm glad Harlequin has come around :) lots of eating and pooping vibes being sent for her :D

Vibes for Beauty :) x

Thank you Gracie.

So pleased to hear that Harlequin is recovering and I hope that you will not have to wait too long for news about Beauty xx

Thank you for the vibes.

Just got the call to say Beauty has come round from the anasetic fine but she has the grumpiest face ever. That’s my girl :D

Iv been keeping busy putting ( or should that be atempting to put lol) flooring in the new pen so frastration about that and helped with taking my mind off the girls.

Can’t wait for them to come home.

Thank you for the vibes.

Just got the call to say Beauty has come round from the anasetic fine but she has the grumpiest face ever. That’s my girl :D

Iv been keeping busy putting ( or should that be atempting to put lol) flooring in the new pen so frastration about that and helped with taking my mind off the girls.

Can’t wait for them to come home.

Good news!

I hope they are home soon (if not already) Lisa xx

Good news!

I hope they are home soon (if not already) Lisa xx

Just on our way to pick them up now :D

They both have been syringe feed a few times. Beauty took it rather well and harlequin just opened her mouth and let it fall out. Both are nibbling hay cookies coriander mint and rose pettles on their own now :D

They both have been syringe feed a few times. Beauty took it rather well and harlequin just opened her mouth and let it fall out. Both are nibbling hay cookies coriander mint and rose pettles on their own now :D

All sounding good so far. Hopefully there will be some poo output in a few hours time. Did the Vet discharge them with some Metacam to give daily for a few days ? xx

All sounding good so far. Hopefully there will be some poo output in a few hours time. Did the Vet discharge them with some Metacam to give daily for a few days ? xx

We’re still waiting for the bus :(

I asked this yesterday and it’s standard practice at this vets to discharge rabbits that have been spayed with metacam. If not then I will ask for it or ask for dosing instructions as I have some still at home and in date from beauty’s last bout of stasis.

I hope you've brought them home with Metacam and a further appointment :)

Hugs for you and Brandi xx

Back