• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spay a bunny who’s partner is having to wait?

Nah it just means it isn't licensed for bunnies, but I don't think any medication is? Could be wrong, but it's normal and I've never had to sign anything :)

Yes some meds are licensed for rabbits - e.g. Baytril, but many are off- license.

Some vets have you sign a consent form, and it's probably good practice, but a lot don't!

Thank you Graciee and MightyMax.

It’s because the dose I was told I could increase to were above the guidelines but still safe and tolerated just to be a consious of it I think.

I will ask just to be on the safe side next time I go. It’s good to know though that it varies between vets.

Yes some meds are licensed for rabbits - e.g. Baytril, but many are off- license.

Some vets have you sign a consent form, and it's probably good practice, but a lot don't!
Ah I didn't know that! Everything my vet gives me is for dogs normally [emoji38] so I assumed none of it was for bunnies (obviously safe to use tho)

Quick question. If some thing is being mentioned and given as off licence should have I filled in a form?

I had so much on my mind and Brandi with me at the vets trying to eagerly talk I forgot to ask whilst there.

Generally yes an Off Licence form should be discussed and signed. Where I work we have individual ones for cats and dogs for each medication but for small mammals including rabbits we have a one-off form confirming consent for off licence medication to be used for that animal. This is because most medications are off licence for small furries with a few exceptions ie metacam for guinea pigs. The forms are then scanned onto the patient file. Each practice may have their own way of confirming off-licence consent though!

I was glad to read your positive update. Hopefully you can get some needed rest.

It is always a tough call with pain relief because the drugs can slow gut motility at certain levels. Of course, if the bunny is not eating that will result in slow gut motility also, as will lack of exercise if a bunny does not want to move around due to pain. In this situation I would prefer the bunny to be comfortable and then use motility meds and syringe feedings to help the gut motility.

You mentioned your bunny pushes syringe feed out of her mouth. As someone who has done a lot of syringe feeds over many years, I noticed that a slight change in the consistency of the syringe feed can make a difference depending on the individual bunny. When my bunnies push the syringe food out with their tongue, I add a couple more drops of water so it is just a tiny bit thinner. I have even had to add a couple drops of water during the feeding as the mixture continues to thicken. Of course, some bunnies take syringe feed much better than others.

Last edited:
I was glad to read your positive update. Hopefully you can get some needed rest.

It is always a tough call with pain relief because the drugs can slow gut motility at certain levels. Of course, if the bunny is not eating that will result in slow gut motility also, as will lack of exercise if a bunny does not want to move around due to pain. In this situation I would prefer the bunny to be comfortable and then use motility meds and syringe feedings to help the gut motility.

You mentioned your bunny pushes syringe feed out of her mouth. As someone who has done a lot of syringe feeds over many years, I noticed that a slight change in the consistency of the syringe feed can make a difference depending on the individual bunny. When my bunnies push the syringe food out with their tongue, I add a couple more drops of water so it is just a tiny bit thinner. I have even had to add a couple drops of water during the feeding as the mixture continues to thicken. Of course, some bunnies take syringe feed much better than others.

Thank you bunny momma.

That was why I asked for the higher dose of the metacam because I needed other or more pain meds for her but every thing they gave at the surgery would have made her sleepy. If I had no choice tho she would have had it. I would have also taken her in today if the metacam hadn’t helped with the inprovement. Her eating hasn’t stoped ( apart from after the surgery) but since she’s been split from Harlequin about a week ago what she’s been passing had slowed down considerably. So that’s why I thought the gut motality meds’ were the prority as she was also full of fecal pellets.

I will try that next time with the syringe feeding. I never seem to get the right consistency but fingers crossed we’ve had no need for the syring feeding because she’s been eating quiet a bit since about lunch time. Both of mine hate It with a passion tho. Thank you for the advice.

Generally yes an Off Licence form should be discussed and signed. Where I work we have individual ones for cats and dogs for each medication but for small mammals including rabbits we have a one-off form confirming consent for off licence medication to be used for that animal. This is because most medications are off licence for small furries with a few exceptions ie metacam for guinea pigs. The forms are then scanned onto the patient file. Each practice may have their own way of confirming off-licence consent though!

Thank you HMacU2.

I will check next time we’re there.

What is the form achilly for. Is it to say I know of the risks and that I am to take responsibility with what happens.

Thank you HMacU2.

I will check next time we’re there.

What is the form achilly for. Is it to say I know of the risks and that I am to take responsibility with what happens.

Basically it’s so the practice has written evidence that the client is aware that the medication is off licence - your vet will always be happy to go through it with you

Thankfully our computer system flags up off licence medication when they’re prescribed and automatically gives the option to print a consent form!

In short it’s basically you consenting to the intended use and being aware of any potential side effects.

Last edited:
Basically it’s so the practice has written evidence that the client is aware that the medication is off licence - your vet will always be happy to go through it with you

Thankfully our computer system flags up off licence medication when they’re prescribed and automatically gives the option to print a consent form!

In short it’s basically you consenting to the intended use and being aware of any potential side effects.

That makes sense. Thank you

I am glad your girl is eating better. It is certainly less stressful for the bunny (and human) if they eat on their own and do not need to be syringe fed.
You made the right call with the meds as is proven by her improvement.

Back