• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hey there

imona

New Kit
Hi all,

I'm a 24 year old woman who recently impulsively (sort of) bought two male rabbits. By impulsively, I was in a Pets at Home buying some supplies before I set about seeking to adopt rabbits. I sort of fell in love when I saw a little lionhead tip his pen-mate off a log bridge. I ended up leaving with both of them. They were 2.5 months old and I was smitten. Months later, I'm still trying to learn more, so I can enrich their lives all the more.

Augustus (Gus) is my big cuddler. He wants your attention all the time, and he's an escape artist. I bought a large-breed puppypen... between the both of them, they've worked out how to take it apart by shaking/and pushing the support joint. Claudius is a bit snippier, after they got their vaccinations, he refused to acknowledge me for days :lol: They both just got neutered yesterday, and have had to be separated because Claude hit bunny puberty hard a few weeks ago, but I'm hoping that in a few weeks I can work on introducing them again. They love their grub, I spend a fortune in hay for them xD They are absolutely fearless around my two large breed dogs.

As for me, I'm a student in the final stretch of my degree, I had to take some time out to deal with health issues. I work as a Customer Team Member and that's what keeps my bunnies in quality hay, nuggets and very expensive chew toys. I love fantasy books, crime novels/procedural, same goes for most shows/movies. I'm not sure what else there really is to add :)

Gus and Claude (big picture, so I put it as a link)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw-gyePWkAAaXgZ?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

20181204_190716.jpg

20181204_190839.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm a 24 year old woman who recently impulsively (sort of) bought two male rabbits. By impulsively, I was in a Pets at Home buying some supplies before I set about seeking to adopt rabbits. I sort of fell in love when I saw a little lionhead tip his pen-mate off a log bridge. I ended up leaving with both of them. They were 2.5 months old and I was smitten. Months later, I'm still trying to learn more, so I can enrich their lives all the more.

Augustus (Gus) is my big cuddler. He wants your attention all the time, and he's an escape artist. I bought a large-breed puppypen... between the both of them, they've worked out how to take it apart by shaking/and pushing the support joint. Claudius is a bit snippier, after they got their vaccinations, he refused to acknowledge me for days :lol: They both just got neutered yesterday, and have had to be separated because Claude hit bunny puberty hard a few weeks ago, but I'm hoping that in a few weeks I can work on introducing them again. They love their grub, I spend a fortune in hay for them xD They are absolutely fearless around my two large breed dogs.

As for me, I'm a student in the final stretch of my degree, I had to take some time out to deal with health issues. I work as a Customer Team Member and that's what keeps my bunnies in quality hay, nuggets and very expensive chew toys. I love fantasy books, crime novels/procedural, same goes for most shows/movies. I'm not sure what else there really is to add :)

Gus and Claude (big picture, so I put it as a link)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw-gyePWkAAaXgZ?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

20181204_190716.jpg

20181204_190839.jpg

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Gud and Claude are gorgeous :love:

I see they have had their vaccinations, but just in case they haven't had *both* I'll put some info here as there are now two for rabbits.

Novibac/myxo (which covers myxi and VHD1/RHD1 and also Filavac which covers VHD/RHD 1 + 2.

I have a thread running which documents all the cases that we know of, of RHD2.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-Cases-(-Update-January-2019/page42

It's a fearsome virus and kills without warning so I wouldn't want you to be unaware :)

More info on it here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

I hope they recover well from their neuters

I got them vaccinated in November with the myxo/RHD1 and then three weeks later they got their RHD2. I've still to discuss with the vet if we're doing twice a year boosters, or once a year. Since I ended up getting them at Petsathome, I stuck to the vet in-store for the vaccinations, because I didn't want to take them into a new environment unprotected. But, they got neutered at my usual go-to vets, who are more expensive, but have always been brilliant with our dogs and our rats. I have learned that rabbit insurance is more expensive than I thought. But, I wanted that level of security in the event they need expensive /chronic treatment.

I'm very happy with their post-op states. Their appetites were back to normal by the evening of their op. Today, they are back to their normal selves, doing mischief :) I had to recapture Gus from his great escape, where he leapt 4feet from the top level of their cage, after (somehow) opening it. The both of them are little nightmares, sometimes. I've learned that rabbits (when not worrying about survival and predators) are full of mischief and adventure. I'm still working on litter training them (though they will typically only ever urinate on their mats or in their litter trays). I've read it is usually easier as they get older. Ah, sorry, I'm rambling :D I just can't help myself sometimes.

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: Gus and Claudius are gorgeous :love: I hope that you are enjoying RU :thumb: when I was bonding my current pair of bunnies, I used heavy duty cable ties to make the puppy pen solid :thumb:

I got them vaccinated in November with the myxo/RHD1 and then three weeks later they got their RHD2. I've still to discuss with the vet if we're doing twice a year boosters, or once a year. Since I ended up getting them at Petsathome, I stuck to the vet in-store for the vaccinations, because I didn't want to take them into a new environment unprotected. But, they got neutered at my usual go-to vets, who are more expensive, but have always been brilliant with our dogs and our rats. I have learned that rabbit insurance is more expensive than I thought. But, I wanted that level of security in the event they need expensive /chronic treatment.

I'm very happy with their post-op states. Their appetites were back to normal by the evening of their op. Today, they are back to their normal selves, doing mischief :) I had to recapture Gus from his great escape, where he leapt 4feet from the top level of their cage, after (somehow) opening it. The both of them are little nightmares, sometimes. I've learned that rabbits (when not worrying about survival and predators) are full of mischief and adventure. I'm still working on litter training them (though they will typically only ever urinate on their mats or in their litter trays). I've read it is usually easier as they get older. Ah, sorry, I'm rambling :D I just can't help myself sometimes.

I'm glad to hear they have recovered well :)

With males, you'll most likely find that litter training becomes a doddle after neutering.
It's one perk :)

Lovely to have you on board :)

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: Gus and Claudius are gorgeous :love: I hope that you are enjoying RU :thumb: when I was bonding my current pair of bunnies, I used heavy duty cable ties to make the puppy pen solid :thumb:

Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on buying a more sturdy and taller one soon, but cableties will keep the beasts penned for now, hopefully.. My current one is over 3ft, but Gus has already showed he can jump out if motivated enough. I'm getting rid of a bookshelf and potentially my workdesk, so I can cordon off a larger free-roam space for them anyway. I saw the masterlist of habitats and I'm very inspired to replicate it for my boys! They like to climb (to my dismay) and give their best spider-bun impressions.

Hello!

Welcome to the forum!!

your rabbits are simply gorgeous! :love: have they been / are you planning on getting them castrated?

here are mine

51535872_2234166046904513_3917524745393799168_n.jpg

Lily, Onyx and Bear

Hello and welcome to the forum. Gus and Claude are extremely cute and from the looks of it, full of energy and still adjusting to their new life with you. It is clear you are investing alot of time and money into not only making a safe and secure environment, but also by enriching their lives. This will give Gus and Claude the very best start in your home and as you are finding out, it's sometimes a steep learning curve. Having a cuddle - monster is great. And enjoy those moments.
Rabbits are extremely intelligent - as you are finding out. They pick up on emotions and they also have a vast range of emotions themselves. As you will discover, they have a system of body language which they use to communicate with each other and us hoomans. Some of their signals are easy, some not so.
As you will find out, this forum is a very special place for advice, discussion and also happy moments along with unfortunate sad tales and losses. We are all here to help everyone along the way. You'll find which threads work for you and there are some threads which you just have to follow - depending on what your rabbits personalities are like.
So please feel free to input where you can, when you can and most importantly of all, photos and stories. We love following the journies of the rabbits and other pets.
Welcome aboard
Craig x (servant to Lillian and Henry aka 'Hillian').

Back