• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poop confusion

Truffpuff

Mama Doe
Hard to decide if this should go here or in diet... but anyway.

So as many of you know we just adopted Grace and she’s living in her own room for now until she can bond with Luther.

Her bunny nesquik’s are amazing! Just like wild bunny nuggets!

Now I’m looking at Luther’s and Truffle was the same too....his are smaller and darker in comparison. Is there something I’m not doing right or that he needs more of etc?
His are pretty much the same inside as hers I think, but I don’t know why they are so small and dark compared to hers apart from the fact she eats hay like there’s a sale on lol!

Is he just not eating enough hay? Dehydrated? Or am I just being dramatic? Lol!

Also - he’s on a small diet now....he’s forming a small dulap and lookalike a ball when he sits. So reduced greens and pellets for him, hopefully he will it more hay anyway.

cead7913b64796f6ccdbdb1737e52566.jpg

7c967095567b99a5cd7989e42eedd7ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's simply the hay consumption, which is making the difference :) You can actually see that the composition of her poop contains more hay. Good girl Grace :love:

It's simply the hay consumption, which is making the difference :) You can actually see that the composition of her poop contains more hay. Good girl Grace :love:

Oh ok! Thank god!
I was getting a bit worried because both boys just looked normal to me, then I saw hers and was like “that is what bunny rocks should look like”!!

So hopefully me putting him on a bit of a diet will help then and make him want more hay. She clearly need to teach him some life skills when they bond ;-) she’s like a hay eating machine! :-D

Hard to decide if this should go here or in diet... but anyway.

So as many of you know we just adopted Grace and she’s living in her own room for now until she can bond with Luther.

Her bunny nesquik’s are amazing! Just like wild bunny nuggets!

Now I’m looking at Luther’s and Truffle was the same too....his are smaller and darker in comparison. Is there something I’m not doing right or that he needs more of etc?
His are pretty much the same inside as hers I think, but I don’t know why they are so small and dark compared to hers apart from the fact she eats hay like there’s a sale on lol!

Is he just not eating enough hay? Dehydrated? Or am I just being dramatic? Lol!

Also - he’s on a small diet now....he’s forming a small dulap and lookalike a ball when he sits. So reduced greens and pellets for him, hopefully he will it more hay anyway.

cead7913b64796f6ccdbdb1737e52566.jpg

7c967095567b99a5cd7989e42eedd7ae.jpg

There's nothing to worry about, it's the fibre in the hay that causes the sizes to be different. Grass, even readigrass, will cause darker poo. You only get the golden boulders when there's lots of hay eating.

How does Luther like his hay? I am sure he's not dehydrated, just hasn't found the hay of his dreams?

There's nothing to worry about, it's the fibre in the hay that causes the sizes to be different. Grass, even readigrass, will cause darker poo. You only get the golden boulders when there's lots of hay eating.

How does Luther like his hay? I am sure he's not dehydrated, just hasn't found the hay of his dreams?

Phew!
So glad it’s nothing bad, he does normal amounts of poops per day but I’ve never had a bunny before Grace with such model poops lol!

He likes the one we have now I ordered a big bale from the Timothy website and the quality was exactly what I was looking for, stalky long strands with minimal dust. He likes hay more now since I started putting it in their toilets at one end for him and Truffy. And Luther has a really short cardboard box I put a pile in on the floor.
I tried sooo many brands and herby harvest was top but it’s just not affordable and the last lot I had about a year ago was full of mites so that was the end of that lol!

I think I’m to blame, I feed to many greens and especially since we lost Truffle I’ve struggled to portion for one bunny, so I’m bringing him down to the amount Grace was on and hopefully it will not only get a bit of weight off him but encourage more hay eating. I’m a sucker for those bunny puppy-dog eyes! Lol

Phew!
So glad it’s nothing bad, he does normal amounts of poops per day but I’ve never had a bunny before Grace with such model poops lol!

He likes the one we have now I ordered a big bale from the Timothy website and the quality was exactly what I was looking for, stalky long strands with minimal dust. He likes hay more now since I started putting it in their toilets at one end for him and Truffy. And Luther has a really short cardboard box I put a pile in on the floor.
I tried sooo many brands and herby harvest was top but it’s just not affordable and the last lot I had about a year ago was full of mites so that was the end of that lol!

I think I’m to blame, I feed to many greens and especially since we lost Truffle I’ve struggled to portion for one bunny, so I’m bringing him down to the amount Grace was on and hopefully it will not only get a bit of weight off him but encourage more hay eating. I’m a sucker for those bunny puppy-dog eyes! Lol

I'm glad you've got that Timothy Hay - really good stuff :)
Mine love the oat hay from the same place x

Oh we're all taken in by the looks they give us! And the begging and all that jazz.
I've learned to be tough .... :lol:

Phew!

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

:D

I'm glad you've got that Timothy Hay - really good stuff :)
Mine love the oat hay from the same place x

Oh we're all taken in by the looks they give us! And the begging and all that jazz.
I've learned to be tough .... :lol:

Yeah it was a really good deal for the amount you get. He seems to like it and Grace stuffs her cute face all day lol!

Haha! Exactly, I need to get tougher :)

Thank you for the link it was really useful! Tad gross especially the worms yuk! Lol.

I think it’s definitely his hay intake then and maybe a little dehydrated. So his new bikini diet should help going forward :)

Would he not prefer a pair of budgie smugglers ?

Thank you for the link it was really useful! Tad gross especially the worms yuk! Lol.

I think it’s definitely his hay intake then and maybe a little dehydrated. So his new bikini diet should help going forward :)

I don't think he's anything bad wrong with him.

Just needs a stern talking to about hay-eating :lol:

Back