• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging box for outside bunnies

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed this morning that Flopsy has dug a sizeable hole in the corner of their run - it is where my study meets my neighbour's extension and I don't want her getting under the foundations of the house so have blocked it off. I lost Halloumi when he burrowed out of his run and am determined to stop this happening with Flopsy.

The majority of their run is under solid cover so I can use any material in a digging box. Before when I used an old paddling pool it was open to the elements and the earth got soaked when it rained and it all ended up a horrid mess. Any ideas what I can use for the box and what I can put inside it? Flopsy is long haired so something easy to get out of her fur would be good.

I feel really mean covering her burrow and blocking it off but I can't risk her digging under the foundations and disappearing forever. I thought this wouldn't be a worry with bricks rather than fencing surrounding their run but she has made a sizeable hole. The majority of the run is paved but there are small areas where there is just mud.

Can you put paving under the run? I have my aviary on a paving base and then a dig box with organic top soil in in on top. :)

Nx5LQWl.jpg

I could possibly have some paving put in the bit at the side where the earth is but it is too small for slabs. I love your digging box. Where did you get it?

Our diggy box is one of the old bottle recycle boxes from a good few years ago we were given by the council! It's really deep and we filled it with compost and they love it!

You could use anything for a diggy box. Shallow plant containers, box shape or rectangle are perfect so long as they can hop in/out of them are good enough. We have to keep dampening the compost and occasionally it seems to grow a mould in it but we just dig about it in and rough it up, the girls don't mind! We find the stuff everywhere, even found it in their water bowl which is going some as it's a good couple of feet away from the diggy box so they have a good dig and fling it about when they want to :lol:.

Back