• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Madelyn jumped out of her pen today

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
This morning my spouse gave Madelyn her morning pellets before he left for work. Today I made a phone call before I gave her some fresh hay and some pets. As I was on an important call, I looked into the next room and she was sitting outside her pen looking my way. I had to tell the person on the other line to wait while I put Madelyn back into her pen. Madelyn knew she was not supposed to be outside her pen without supervision so we played chase for a minute until I caught her under the kitchen table (at that point I had climbed into her pen so it must have been a site to see me in the pen while she was sitting next to one of two kitchen chairs (the rest were moved to make room for her large pen)).
I am wondering why she hopped out of her pen for the first time ever. She still had plenty of hay and water from last night. I am asking myself if she was just trying to get my attention, or if she knows Dash has a smaller pen in the next room.

Now that Dash lost his littermate, Evan, I would like to have them bonded. However, I need a pen that has bars that are close enough together for Dash's safety and is high enough for Madelyn to not make another attempt (30-36"). Dash is small even for a Netherland Dwarf (1.7 pounds), and Madelyn is a lionhead who likes to eat (4.5 pounds). Does anyone know where I can get a nice indoor pen that would allow Dash and Madelyn to be together?

Last edited:
You could make a lid out of something- net, mesh or bed sheets over a pen to dissuade them from trying to jump out. Can you get puppy pens or c&c grids? You could mesh on the inside of the bars to stop them pushing their heads through them if that helps?

You could make a lid out of something- net, mesh or bed sheets over a pen to dissuade them from trying to jump out. Can you get puppy pens or c&c grids? You could mesh on the inside of the bars to stop them pushing their heads through them if that helps?

Thank you for your suggestions.
Her current pen is for a small puppy and it is only 24inches tall. The spacing of the openings on her current pen are OK for Madelyn, but not for Dash if he were to be bonded with her. I researched and found a new version of her current pen is available in multiple higher heights. It has the added advantage of having a better designed door that would allow me to open it and just step over a few inches at the bottom to go inside to clean and arrange things. Her current door stops before the top so it is not appropriate for human use so at least twice a day I have to climb over the side, like a hurdle.

I like you idea of adding mesh to the inside of this pen so Dash may be able to visit Madelyn for possible bonding or at least supervised visits.

A few days ago Madelyn's new higher pen was delivered. She keep looking up and standing on her hind legs with her paws on the side of the pen. Her new pen has one end that opens so I can walk through rather than climbing over the side. Of course, this means she can also walk through if I am not careful closing the latches. It is comforting to know she will not be able to jump over the side and encounter dangers when no one is supervising.

That sounds much better. I bet she's annoyed she can't escape to go exploring anymore though! :lol:

That sounds much better. I bet she's annoyed she can't escape to go exploring anymore though! :lol:

She only escaped the once and I was glad I noticed her (she was sitting next to her pen looking at me talking on the phone) before she got into something that could hurt her.

Back