• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying - advice?

Thank you so much! I dropped them off at 9. I am so worried! It’s been a while since I’ve had any spayed or neutered because I always get them already fixed from a rescue. These two being meat rabbits rescued as babies though means I have to endure this day of worry! Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Is it best I keep them inside tonight? They usually live in the shed but I’ve been told they don’t regulate their body temperature well after an op.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I would keep them inside for a couple of days. It is going to be cold / frosty and wet tonight and tomorrow in West Yorks. I had one spayed last Wednesday and she is still inside - but she is a lively little madam and will do herself some damage if I put her outside too soon. Hopefully she won't be able to tunnel out of the bathroom. We were recommended to keep her restricted for a week to allow her to heal. Good luck with yours.

They should be rechecked at the vet in a couple of days as well - just to make sure everything is healing well and there is no infection.

Thank you for the advice everyone. They are home safe and eating, I’m so pleased! They’re in an indoor cage for the night which is so small but they’re so sleepy it doesn’t matter really. Robin’s with them at the mo, he’s very happy to have his girls back. I prob won’t keep him in there all the time as he’s a bit more lively and it’s such a small space. Don’t want him touching their wounds either but don’t think he will.

They’re due back in the vets in 2 days for a check up.

5faf5d5e535a6cdececd1eae02a4ce56.jpg

2724010ac068d9435c4fe3cea0eb5c16.jpg

e80a85031b44115c4dff0c14a2e8e845.jpg

Thank you for the advice everyone. They are home safe and eating, I’m so pleased! They’re in an indoor cage for the night which is so small but they’re so sleepy it doesn’t matter really. Robin’s with them at the mo, he’s very happy to have his girls back. I prob won’t keep him in there all the time as he’s a bit more lively and it’s such a small space. Don’t want him touching their wounds either but don’t think he will.

They’re due back in the vets in 2 days for a check up.

5faf5d5e535a6cdececd1eae02a4ce56.jpg

2724010ac068d9435c4fe3cea0eb5c16.jpg

e80a85031b44115c4dff0c14a2e8e845.jpg

So pleased to hear the girls are home. Hopefully there will be some 'output' in the next few hours. Sending lots more vibes xx

Oh quick question as well. They have been given a pain relief injection which lasts 24 hours. I asked if they needed any for tomorrow but the vet nurse said rabbits and cats tend to be fine with just the injection.... not sure I’m convinced though. I do have some metacam already, should I give them some tomorrow?

I’m glad they are home and recovering well :thumb: I would ask the vet about the metacam, when I had 2 girls spayed I had metacam prescribed for them for the days following the spay.

Mine didn't need any extra pain relief last week and we were not given any - it seems to be normal practice. She didn't eat much on the day of the spay, but was definitely eating reasonably the next day and all normal after that. Poos were normal on the day after the op. I left her with a heat pad for the first 24 hours, but she was on her own and she is tiny.

I hope yours continue do OK.

Oh quick question as well. They have been given a pain relief injection which lasts 24 hours. I asked if they needed any for tomorrow but the vet nurse said rabbits and cats tend to be fine with just the injection.... not sure I’m convinced though. I do have some metacam already, should I give them some tomorrow?

Oh mine were given metacam for the next 5 days following the spay, twice daily.

Glad your girls are doing okay :) x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Back