• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A wifebun for Eric UD pg 5

Lisa F

Mama Doe
I now know why some people say that the hardest part of losing a bun is putting your feelings aside and thinking of the bun you have left. :(

Eric has never been alone, he's been with his brother his whole life. Thankfully, he was the one in charge and much more independent than Ernie so he's currently coping okay.

The difficulty for my OH and I is that we didn't think we'd be dealing with this for a few more years. The main problem being is that we didn't want to carry on keeping rabbits after our boys were gone. We HAD discussed this as we knew it would happen eventually and the plan we had in our minds, when we were one day left with one (hopefully) elderly bun was to try and arrange a long term foster situation with a rescue. Possibly bonding our boy into a trio or similar with a rescue pair, with the agreement that, after we lost our remaining boy, we'd carry on fostering the rescue buns until a good home could be found for them. I "think" there are rescues that do that, at least.

However, Eric is still only six years old. I have no idea what the expected age expectancy is for mini rabbits like him but that seems youngish to me?

So, we are thinking of trying to find an older girl to bond with him (if we can find one), preferably somewhere that will do the bonding for us. Size is an issue too as Eric is small (only 3.5 pounds) so we'll need a little girl, probably a mini lop or Nethie or similar.

I'm in Cambridgeshire so I'll be contacting the rescues that I know are near me (that do bonding) to try and find a little, older lady for Eric.

Last edited:
I’m very sorry that you are in this position :cry: I know there are rescues that do offer to take a rabbit back if it is left alone following the death of a partner, I’m not sure which ones or which ones are local to you I’m afraid, but I’m sure that Eric would be very happy with an older female, and I’m sure rescues would be very happy to rehome to you with your lovely rabbit housing.

I know that it is very hard losing a bunny at any age, but an untimely death is always harder I think, especially when it is unexpected:cry: I know that Ernie would have had the best life any bunny could wish for, I’m just sorry it wasn’t longer :cry:

I forgot to say, Frosty is a little bunny at 1.3kg, and he has recently found love with Fern, who is 2kg and a lot bigger than him, so size needn’t be too much of a barrier:thumb:

I wish you well in finding a friend for Eric, I'm pleased he appears to be coping ok. I've heard of rescues doing the temporary arrangement thing. If you go for that I don't think age would even be a big deal. I hope you too are muddling through ok xx

Thank you guys.

We're now registered with a couple of local rescues for a lady for Eric. We can't travel too far as we need somewhere that will do the bonding for us, which means being able to drive back and forth a bit, so our options are fairly limited but hopefully the perfect lady will appear soon. :)

Thank you guys.

We're now registered with a couple of local rescues for a lady for Eric. We can't travel too far as we need somewhere that will do the bonding for us, which means being able to drive back and forth a bit, so our options are fairly limited but hopefully the perfect lady will appear soon. :)

Fingers crossed that a ray of happiness enters yours and Eric's life soon :love:

I am so sorry that you are in this position but you do have Erics very best interests at heart. I'm sure Eric is adjusting to his life ahead and I'm sure he will very much welcome a new rabbit to share his life with, to make new memories with and to be close to. I hope you do find a suitable wife bun for Eric and hope to have updates on the progress. x

There are a couple of potential ladies I've spotted at the Rabbit Residence Rescue but they aren't responding to my emails. :( Fingers crossed they get back to me.

So Eric goes to meet some ladies tomorrow and today I made the mistake of looking on the rehoming thread on here and there is a cute pair on there, from the same rescue, that I'm slightly in love with too. :roll: :lol:

I can see how people end up with large groups of rabbits! :lol:

So Eric goes to meet some ladies tomorrow and today I made the mistake of looking on the rehoming thread on here and there is a cute pair on there, from the same rescue, that I'm slightly in love with too. :roll: :lol:

I can see how people end up with large groups of rabbits! :lol:

Are you thinking of a quad ;) :love:

Sending you vibes for the date tomorrow. I hope Eric finds a beautiful partner to share his life with. x

Well, we dropped Eric off at the rescue yesterday for some bunny dates. ;) There are so many gorgeous rabbits there and it was really hard to chose who to try him with first but we finally narrowed down a list:

1. A gorgeous pure black doe
2. A buck and doe pair, both super cute
3. A little fluffy lionhead doe
4. A super cute trio! Including the most stunning rex I've ever seen in my life.

We have no idea how he's going to be (he was fairly dominant with Ernie) so we thought a longer list would be best to be safe and give him and the rescue plenty of options. Although, it's probably unlikely we'll get that far, I have realised that if we get as far as option 4, we'll have a quad! :lol:

Back