• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoors on mild days?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Is it ok for indoor rabbits to spend a few hours outside on milder days?

Our former outdoor rabbit is now bonded to our indoor rabbit (so inside for now) but is causing chaos!!

She's evil, she bites and is intent on destroying everything. Obviously it's to be expected to an extent, but for example Spud has had a pretty robust chew toy for about a year and Dottie has shredded it to pieces in a few hours she's relentless!

I have a huge enclosure sitting empty outside. Could they burn off some steam?

Thanks x

Hi all,

Our former outdoor rabbit is now bonded to our indoor rabbit (so inside for now) but is causing chaos!!

She's evil, she bites and is intent on destroying everything. Obviously it's to be expected to an extent, but for example Spud has had a pretty robust chew toy for about a year and Dottie has shredded it to pieces in a few hours she's relentless!

Thanks x

Last time I spoke to my vet, he said temperature changes weren't really a problem, which goes against everything I've been told [emoji38] he said letting my two exclusively indoor buns go outside in cold weather to play outside wouldn't cause them any harm..

The general rule is that temperature changes cause respiratory issues though? IIRC, so I'm just not sure..

I do this sometimes, if it’s mild. I leave the door open so they can come back in when they want to. Although, our heating isn’t “hot” - I don’t like it too warm inside so I figure it’s less of a temperature change than if you have inside temp at 25 degrees, for example.

Teddy and Pepper (inside buns) loves to pop outside, whilst Bertie (who used to live outside) prefers to stay inside.

Personally on a day like today, and if the rabbit is otherwise healthy, I can't see a problem so yes let them run off some steam.

Thanks for the replies!

So I went for it as the weather has been fine here today, but... She's been biting Spud!

I thought, oh lovely, they seemed to be enjoying the freedom, but when my dd went to see them she saw the above!

Was it maybe just because she was there? I have no idea!

I'm tempted to leave Dottie outside and bring him in and forget we ever tried to bond them. But is that a terrible idea because they are bonded? Or is she bullying him so we should separate?

I literally have no idea what to do with her!

x

Hi all,

Thanks x

Yes it's fine when they are active whilst outdoors and also not all day but perhaps a few hours or two shorter bursts. The worse thing to do is to bring an outdoor bunny in for the evening then put them back out in the cold overnight. Rabbits don't regulate their temperature very well, so that wouldn't be a good idea.

I have always done what you're suggesting - I leave the door open though so that they can hop in and out of the house, but mine free range the garden when I am there :)

Yes it's fine when they are active whilst outdoors and also not all day but perhaps a few hours or two shorter bursts. The worse thing to do is to bring an outdoor bunny in for the evening then put them back out in the cold overnight. Rabbits don't regulate their temperature very well, so that wouldn't be a good idea.

I have always done what you're suggesting - I leave the door open though so that they can hop in and out of the house, but mine free range the garden when I am there :)

Thanks MM :)

I have to say they appear to be loving it :). They've been able to go out again today and Spud was first through the tunnel into the run and I didn't witness any biting at all.

In between they've been confined to the pen in the bedroom and everything has been calm and so this evening we've been giving them a go out in the room to see how they get on x

Thanks MM :)

I have to say they appear to be loving it :). They've been able to go out again today and Spud was first through the tunnel into the run and I didn't witness any biting at all.

In between they've been confined to the pen in the bedroom and everything has been calm and so this evening we've been giving them a go out in the room to see how they get on x

That's all sounding extremely positive :D

Back