• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matting with hay - how should I banish it?

naohren

Young Bun
Hi all!

Humphrey and Clara quite like to play in their hay, so they often get it stuck everywhere. I try my best to pull it all out, but with all the bad weather we've been having, they've developed some mats in their manes and on their feet - with the hay, too.

The mane mats will probably be okay to comb out, but I'm concerned about the feet mats. Clara's are especially bad, I can't imagine it's very comfy for her. What would be best to tend to those ones? I'm hesitant to just cut them off, but I'm not sure there's much else I can do. I've heard about using oil to loosen them a bit but I don't know if that's safe or if it will work when there's hay in the mats too...

Has anyone had this same problem? How did you deal with it and manage it?

Thank you in advance (from the bunnies too) x

I would use a wide tooth metal dog comb to get as much out as you can. With the feet, you may be able to work the worst of it out with a comb and fingers, then just cut off the ends (rather than closer to the skin), or snip down carefully into a lumpy bit to see if the rest will come loose. With any matted bits, you don't always need to cut the whole thing out, just enough to allow the rest to be combed out so you don't remove too much fur - it is there to protect the feet and you risk getting sore patches if you cut the fur right down.

I wouldn't use oil on fur - it sounds very messy.

I used to have the same issue with my lionheads, and trimming the clumps off did seem to do the trick. The only thing I would be careful with is not leaving any bare patches on their feet as they can get very sore in this damp and cold weather we are having. You can also cut the clumps in half and then try and comb them out - that works nicely too.

Hope it helps!

Back