• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dexdomitor safe for rabbit spays?

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
I have just spoken to my vets about bringing my girls spay dates forwards. I asked what anasetic they will be using and it’s a combination of dexdomitor ( not sure if Iv spelt that right ) and ketamine. It put me on edge when the nurse told me it’s a risky procedure.

I can’t find any thing about the dexdomitor online and was wondering if any one has any knowledge of this anasetic?

Thanks
Lisa

Found this Dexmedetomidine but doesn’t sound any thing like what was prounounced over the phone.

It may be Medetomidine Hydrochloride (Domitor)

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-459354

Whilst all surgical procedures under GA are not without risk and small furries are a bit more tricky to deal with, generally speaking a GA/spay carried out by a Rabbit Savvy Vet is usually uneventful.

Some links you may like to take a look at :

https://www.canonburyvets.com/news/2015/01/05/rabbit-anaesthesia-the-gold-standard

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Anesthesia/Anes_main/anes_main_en.htm

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=5328198&pid=11349&

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/me...tes/4-anaesthesia-and-post-operative-care.pdf

https://www.supremepetfoods.com/wp-...it-anaesthesia-Problem-table-bsava-manual.pdf

I have just spoken to my vets about bringing my girls spay dates forwards. I asked what anasetic they will be using and it’s a combination of dexdomitor ( not sure if Iv spelt that right ) and ketamine. It put me on edge when the nurse told me it’s a risky procedure.

I can’t find any thing about the dexdomitor online and was wondering if any one has any knowledge of this anasetic?

Thanks
Lisa

Hi Lisa

Often Domitor and Ketamine are used for a general anaesthetic for rabbit operations.

There's some info here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...chniquesRabbit/MedetomidineKetamineRabbit.htm

https://rabbit.org/anesthesia-protocols-for-rabbits/

In the hands of a competent vet it's pretty safe. Of course there are risks and with rabbits more than cats and dogs, but it's a procedure that will help them live a happy life and avoid the risk of uterine cancer later on.

unfortunately with any animal, or even human, going under a general anaesthetic is not without its risks - people or animals can die during the surgery.

of course, you're also more than likely to hear more about the spays that went wrong over the spays that went right, its the same principle as how we always hear about plane crashes over the thousands of planes that landed safely. the procedures that result in death are in the minority.

making sure you have a rabbit savvy vet is the first step, as tbh with you most spays that have gone wrong have been due to inexperienced vets. either from giving you ill advise (starving before surgery for instance) or just not knowing what to do. ideally you'll want a vet who knows what they're doing, and then you're in good hands. one thing I would always ask is about after surgery procedures, what will they do? ideally you want your vets to instantly start hand feeding as soon as they're awake. mine give bunny 20 minutes to wake up, and then try to tempt them with food, if they don't then its critical care in their moufs and they do that every hour until they come home!!

the biggest concern with surgery (and why they sometimes go wrong once they're home) is GI stasis. I've heard more bunnies passing at home due to stasis than the surgery. the thing is is that many vets just "leave them", its been multiple hours, so you go to collect them and their tummies are now filled with gas and slowed down, so you're on for an uphill battle. try to get a vet that will instantly feed them and keep doing that until you pick them up, gives you an excellent chance to make a quicker recovery.

of course there is the usual also..no cone on their heads, and make sure you have metacam, if they haven't eaten for themselves by the time you pick them up, some vets give tummy stimulants.

there is a risk with any surgery, but the pay off of them having a happy life without the risk of uterine cancer is a big payoff. its worrying, but the risk is small and they'll more than likely be fine <3

Hi Lisa

Often Domitor and Ketamine are used for a general anaesthetic for rabbit operations.

There's some info here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...chniquesRabbit/MedetomidineKetamineRabbit.htm

https://rabbit.org/anesthesia-protocols-for-rabbits/

In the hands of a competent vet it's pretty safe. Of course there are risks and with rabbits more than cats and dogs, but it's a procedure that will help them live a happy life and avoid the risk of uterine cancer later on.

Thanks MM and JJ

I know there are risks it’s just the receptionist kept stressing it and. I’m going to ring with more questions tomorow and see what the answeres are. I’m just so confused by this because the last person I talked to wasn’t this way at all.

I will take a look at the links a bit later.

MM

It’s the Domitor along with ketamine that will be used and it’s not I don’t want them done I do especilly as they can’t live separate like this forever and in constant stress. I know and understand about the risks with not spaying and I don’t want that for them.

Thanks BinkyCodie. You’ve given me a few more questions to ask.

I definantly have a lot to think about tonight.
I’ll let you all know how it goes after the phone call tomorow.

We’ve already been to two vets before this one but I’m just nervous after the way the last receptionist seemed a bit off about it.

I was asked to take in a rabbit lunch box for each but will ask more about the hand feeding and frequency. I also have metacam at home any way and know they will come home with some critical care just in case. Also have baby food to mix it in with if need be.

Thanks MM and JJ

I know there are risks it’s just the receptionist kept stressing it and. I’m going to ring with more questions tomorow and see what the answeres are. I’m just so confused by this because the last person I talked to wasn’t this way at all.

I will take a look at the links a bit later.

MM

It’s the Domitor along with ketamine that will be used and it’s not I don’t want them done I do especilly as they can’t live separate like this forever and in constant stress. I know and understand about the risks with not spaying and I don’t want that for them.

Hi Lisa

Receptionists (and sometimes even the nurses) don't always know as much as we do about rabbits. You should know exactly which vet will be doing the operation, and be happy that they know their stuff. I know you've researched vets very carefully, and you will probably be quite OK. It's unfair for the receptionist to give you this information - we all know there are risks, and you have to sign a consent form, but it's not exactly reassuring for you.

Let me know if there's anything I can do xx

Rang the vets yesterday and was suprised to get a call back after 5 minutes.

I got all the answeres I wanted and reassurance from the vet I spoke to about the anasetic. Was walked through the procedure from start till time both girls are ready to be picked up. Although I did change the vet who was doing it as was not happy that he had not long been with the practice and had not long been out of uni. We had to move it back a day to get the vet I spoke to to do it and she seems very knowledgable was very helpful and was very kind.

Am a much happier rabbit mummy now.

Thank you every one for all the help and advice :)

I got all the answeres I wanted and reassurance from the vet I spoke to about the anasetic. Was walked through the procedure from start till time both girls are ready to be picked up. Although I did change the vet who was doing it as was not happy that he had not long been with the practice and had not long been out of uni. We had to move it back a day to get the vet I spoke to to do it and she seems very knowledgable was very helpful and was very kind.

Wishing you all the very best for their spay :wave:

That must be very reassuring for you. Most Vets are more than happy to discuss any concerns clients may have regarding their Rabbit's treatment. Despite how it may seem by some of the Vet bashing that can be read online, most Vets really do care a lot and they want to do everything within their power to help the Pets they treat and also to show compassion and respect to the Pet's care givers

I hope your girls make a rapid recovery from their spays :)

Wishing you all the very best for their spay :wave:

That must be very reassuring for you. Most Vets are more than happy to discuss any concerns clients may have regarding their Rabbit's treatment. Despite how it may seem by some of the Vet bashing that can be read online, most Vets really do care a lot and they want to do everything within their power to help the Pets they treat and also to show compassion and respect to the Pet's care givers

I hope your girls make a rapid recovery from their spays :)

Thank you MM and Jacks-Jane.

I am still nervous but much more reassured after talking to the vet.

Maybe Beaty’s won’t go ahead though 😞 will see what the vets say as she’s still eating and didn’t poop much all last night. Have got her going again this morning though as have been using the infacol ( thanks MM for the tip) they are still small but at least she’s going now and she’s due another dose in an hour then one befor I go to bed so fingers crossed that I can get her back to normal before tomorow morning.
Just seems to be a cycle since her hormones kicked in.

Maybe Beaty’s won’t go ahead though 😞 will see what the vets say as she’s still eating and didn’t poop much all last night. Have got her going again this morning though as have been using the infacol ( thanks MM for the tip) they are still small but at least she’s going now and she’s due another dose in an hour then one befor I go to bed so fingers crossed that I can get her back to normal before tomorow morning.

Oh dear I hope she picks up before tomorrow, as you don't want to have to go through this twice ...

Fingers crossed and loads of vibes for you all xx

Maybe Beaty’s won’t go ahead though &#55357;&#56862; will see what the vets say as she’s still eating and didn’t poop much all last night. Have got her going again this morning though as have been using the infacol ( thanks MM for the tip) they are still small but at least she’s going now and she’s due another dose in an hour then one befor I go to bed so fingers crossed that I can get her back to normal before tomorow morning.

If she's very angsty due to her hormones that may affect her gut motility. I am sure you will mention your concerns to the Vet during the pre-op assessment. I would suggest you ensure that supportive fluid therapy will be given during and after the spay as this can help a lot. I know I have already posted this link, but maybe have another read through it

https://www.canonburyvets.com/news/2015/01/05/rabbit-anaesthesia-the-gold-standard

Thanks for the vibes MM.

we’ll shes sure fiesty and Iv been bitten twice and bunny burrito if her is like trying to give a tiger a hug but I’m seeing inprovement so let’s hope it continues and tomorow is good.
I’m prepared for it to happen after as well.

If it was just her to be spayed I could deal with it not happening tomorow but it’s also not fair on Harlequin as she’s been in the hutch longer then I would like so I can keep a better eye on Beauty.

We have a new pen for when we’re rebonding but I’m thinking to put Harliquine in it as she would have much more space.

If she's very angsty due to her hormones that may affect her gut motility. I am sure you will mention your concerns to the Vet during the pre-op assessment. I would suggest you ensure that supportive fluid therapy will be given during and after the spay as this can help a lot. I know I have already posted this link, but maybe have another read through it

Thanks Jacks-Jane I did read it but will go back and look again and make sure to mention the supportive fluid therapy to make sure it’s given.

I thought the slow down was due to her hormoans as it’s only been going on since she started humping. She’s also become a bit more aggressive to me and very destructive. Before she would chew most things at her level now it is every thing including the plaster. Iv just ordered some bitter apple spray to hopfully help with this.

Thanks Jacks-Jane I did read it but will go back and look again and make sure to mention the supportive fluid therapy to make sure it’s given.

I thought the slow down was due to her hormoans as it’s only been going on since she started humping. She’s also become a bit more aggressive to me and very destructive. Before she would chew most things at her level now it is every thing including the plaster. Iv just ordered some bitter apple spray to hopfully help with this.

I really hope the spay will help with these issues :)

From when I worked in a vets I’m 90% sure that Dom and ket together aren’t the anaesthetic but are pre-op drugs given to make it safe and easier when giving the med 20 mins to half hour later, to put them under full GA. The ketamine is given as they are waking up so they have pain relief onboard already when coming round and it won’t need giving again until the next day.

The domitor acts as a sedative to make getting the full amount of GA anaesthetic (usually propofol) into a wiggly patient easier because it’s important they get the full dose.

It has to be done under GA not just a sedation. Sedation they are asleep but aware of what’s going on so would be cruel to do a big op not under GA.

I hope that all makes sense :-/ I had a lot of thoughts at once and my thumb couldn’t keep up lol! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sending loads of vibes for two uneventful spays tomorrow. I hope they both recover very quickly. I presume your little girl is going to be vet nurse at home :love:

Back