• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mature pellet for Luna, what about Orion?

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
so Luna will be 4 this month, and I'm thinking about the aspect of giving her mature pellet. my issue is however, Orion is only a year old.

I can't stop him from eating the mature pellet (or Luna the adult pellet). I somewhat scatter feed, usually in their pen as then Luna doesn't get all stressed with a big open area. sometimes I bowl feed depending on the day, but they both swap sides of the bowl so its not a solution.

is there a solution to this? is it worth putting Luna on the mature pellet? will it cause any harm for Orion?

she has no other obvious issues. she's healthy, hyper & a good weight, she's not overweight (or under for that matter). I'm wondering if the mature pellet would even be worth it considering she doesn't "act her age" :lol: part of me is leaning towards just leaving it!

If it were me I would just leave things as they are. If it ain't broke ....
Perhaps it is just me, but I don't consider 4 to be mature, anyway, and pellets form such a tiny part of their diet.

If it were me I would just leave things as they are. If it ain't broke ....
Perhaps it is just me, but I don't consider 4 to be mature, anyway, and pellets form such a tiny part of their diet.

I agree. I've never fed any of my rabbits with the mature version of the pellets. I think the rationale is that an elderly rabbit needs less protein, but the pellets also have slightly less fibre. Have a look at this comparison chart on the nutritional values http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

My buns are estimated to be 4.5, almost 6, almost 8 & 7.5 years. Only Mouse at guesstimated 7,5 would I consider older but thats about her presentation together with her age rather than just the latter. Given Lunar is an ideal weight I'd keep her on regular pellets with her buddy

alright, thank you all, I will continue on then! :thumb: she's not showing any issues or weight gain, so I don't think its that much of an issue.

I do have that saved Omi, its great :D I know that the mature pellet has less protein in them, but that's also interesting about the fibre.

Back