• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly rabbit wet around face

Polo is 7.5 years and has recently been to the vet as started to be wet around sides of face. Vet said a dental was required as teeth overgrown. This was done successfully. Had anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. Did not solve the problem and started losing hair on neck from being constantly wet. Bathed with salt water and dried daily. Vet then gave steroid injection which helped for a few days but now no better again. Can't have another steroid injection for four weeks. Any other suggestions please?

Polo is 7.5 years and has recently been to the vet as started to be wet around sides of face. Vet said a dental was required as teeth overgrown. This was done successfully. Had anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. Did not solve the problem and started losing hair on neck from being constantly wet. Bathed with salt water and dried daily. Vet then gave steroid injection which helped for a few days but now no better again. Can't have another steroid injection for four weeks. Any other suggestions please?

Hello

Did the Vet take skull radiographs whilst doing the Dental ? Problems 'below the surface' such as abscesses and/or tooth root problems can only be diagnosed from radiographs

tB8kdlE.jpg

Did the Vet comment on whether there was any soft tissue damage in your Rabbits's mouth ?

These links may be useful to take a look at

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/generalities_ptyalism.htm

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...DegQIBxAB#v=onepage&q=rabbit ptyalism&f=false

https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/excessive-salivation

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/excessive_en.htm

Hi Angela and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I have had this exact same problem with a rabbit, and in the end I got the vet to take some skull radiographs, as the vet who did the dental didn't routinely do this. It could show something up that wasn't visible when the dental was done.

This would be my very first thought, to exclude any other dental malformation within the mouth.
Drooling is a classic symptom of dental issues.

I hope you get to the root of the problem x

Rabbit teeth grow continually and could potentially need another dental intervention in 2 weeks, although a couple of months is more usual. Dental issues are often ongoing, so a single dental op probably won't be a permanent solution. The teeth need to grind against each other in the correct position in order to maintain them in good condition, which is why they also need the tough fibres from grass / hay as the main part of their diet. Once something isn't quite lined up perfectly, you start to get all sorts of issues which need veterinary intervention to correct as and when they occur. There are different ways of managing the teeth (eg grinding some down further), depending on what the cause of the misalignment is. Tooth root length is also related to visible tooth length and the roots themselves can cause problems as they get longer.

As others have suggested, skull x-rays would probably help with a better view of what is actually happening with the teeth. Drooling is a typical symptom of dental issues. I would also keep monitoring polo's weight (eg weekly) so you know how well he is able to eat. With dental bunnies, a weight loss over a couple of weeks would indicate that another intervention is needed.

Thanks all, no didn't take x-rays so this will be the next thing to suggest. I must say, he is eating very well since his dental and has put on weight and seems well in himself.

Thanks all, no didn't take x-rays so this will be the next thing to suggest. I must say, he is eating very well since his dental and has put on weight and seems well in himself.

You're welcome.

I am glad he's put on weight, as he will need sedation to have the skull radiographs done.

Back