• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor housing large rabbits

Hi guys! We had a small house accident that led to a bunny hutch door being ripped off, so today I took the opportunity to build new doors and give the cage some TLC.

This led me to wondering how other people house their indoor bunns, espically the larger ones?

When I first adopted Mr.B I had much difficulty finding a cage that would allow a rex to stretch out fully, stand up, and have room for a litter box, food, water, etc.
The goal was/is to let him free run during waking hours (12-18hrs a day) but have this enclosure while his humans sleep or to keep him secure and out of danger during instances like firnature moving. I also wanted to enforce this area as his safe haven like crate training a dog so if something was bothering him he would have a spot that was his territory to hide and feel safe.

Most things I found on the market were too small for his needs or made for outdoor use and geared towards an outdoor rabbit life. So i made his enclosure from a metal shelving unit. It's been up for over two years at this point.

I was just wondering what other creative solutions people have found for these type situations and hoping for some pics of how other house bunnies live.

Here's a few pics after the new doors were put on, you can see this obviously isn't a full time housing size enclosure but large enough that he can definitely move about unrestricted. I also added this nice large metal reinforced opening for easy hay access which he really seems to appreciate :)
d6fe2dd4931521e4d6c3b74770ca8ecc.jpg
da0c13b2381e7d24ff3d15b7f1145d7e.jpg
5fdff264006e528eceab9bd03b9424c9.jpg
a2609c64ec7f217d9354c0a392e7a815.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Hello there and welcome. Rabbits need far more space than we realise at times. Can your rabbits be free-range or can they not be trusted? You can enlarge their space by using Puppy Pens or C & C cages. There are lots of examples on the RWA website. Are your bunnies male and female?

Mine was 100% free range with just a litter tray in the kitchen. I bunny proofed all wires and luckily he never chewed the kitchen units or furniture!

Hello there and welcome. Rabbits need far more space than we realise at times. Can your rabbits be free-range or can they not be trusted? You can enlarge their space by using Puppy Pens or C & C cages. There are lots of examples on the RWA website. Are your bunnies male and female?
He free runs the house all day as I wrote in op, this is where he's is locked up while we sleep. During waking hours the door is just left open like in the photo were he is lounging in front of the cage. On the very worst day the longest period he's been in the cage is 12 non-consecutive hours (8+4). Our office is off the back of our house so one of the family is with him all day 99% of the time but if I, for example have a client coming to meet me, he would get locked in for an hour or so. Normally he has a 4000 sqft house to run lol, no offense but please read the op as I did describe what this cage is used for.

Mine was 100% free range with just a litter tray in the kitchen. I bunny proofed all wires and luckily he never chewed the kitchen units or furniture!
That's awesome, do you have any spots set up for him specifically or has he just adapted hiding and lounging areas? B will lay under the table In a certain spot where the sun really shines in from the windows it's a kind of adapted bunny cave lol. But if something is uncomfortable for him, like loud noise or people he's not used to he absolutely uses the cage as the #1 hiding spot and that's part or it's intended use.

That's awesome, do you have any spots set up for him specifically or has he just adapted hiding and lounging areas? B will lay under the table In a certain spot where the sun really shines in from the windows it's a kind of adapted bunny cave lol. But if something is uncomfortable for him, like loud noise or people he's not used to he absolutely uses the cage as the #1 hiding spot and that's part or it's intended use.

His favourite places were behind the sofa or anywhere our cat was sitting!

Back